PDA

View Full Version : head pipe turning red

mudder700
10-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Last night in the dark,I noticed that the Yoshi head pipe was glowing red,after runninhg it hard for a little while,it has a stage 2 cam and k&N filter with a EHS custom airbox cover,it was rejetted when the air filter and cam was installed.I don't usually ride at night and was wondering if it is "normal" or could it be too lean? You don't notice it all all during the day and it ran flawless for the complete 2hr national xc race,any thoughts would be appreciated.thanks

fastredrider44
10-12-2011, 10:11 AM
It might be lean, but glowing headers on these bikes are fairly common.

Scro
10-12-2011, 11:01 AM
It's normal for it to glow a couple inches past the first bend in the header. Any more than that, I would check your jetting.

400exrider707
10-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Seems like that would depend on the material of the headpipe too though.

mudder700
10-12-2011, 12:58 PM
stainless

jaspurx
10-22-2011, 03:58 AM
The head pipe glowing is normal, even the stock headers glow red ( from the exhaust port to a few inches past the bend)when you run them hard, and when warming them up with the choke on.
Mine have always glowed red when warming up, and when ran hard and moving slow, like playing in the yard in the snow.
they stay fairly cool when moving at a decent speed, but get hot and glow when you are not moving fast enough to air cool the pipe.

I just installed a fmf megabomb pipe with a hmf silencer tonight, the whole header went way past cherry red , to bright "sunshine" orange, the entire header all the way back into the silencer.

This was just the initial start up after install, to see if I had any exhaust leaks before checking jetting.
But I would expect a thinner, titanium header to glow "hotter" than a stock steel pipe would.