PDA

View Full Version : Review: PRM Products Swingarm Skid

12-06-2001, 12:02 PM
This thing is TOUGH! I went with PRM after doing some research and finding this one most recommended by Endurance type baja racers from a local shop. Terrain here in AZ is Brutal, constant perfect swingarm dinger sized rocks on just about every trail.

Once unpacked, the appearnce of the skid was what I expected. I would've liked to see them take the time to wipe off the Aluminum's material markings, but at least your certain your getting 6061 Grade Aluminum @ 0.250" thick she's beefy. They rivet on a nice Kevlar type material the entire length of the chain side as well. The welds are real nice, clean, and uniform. Installation was as easy as could be. Hardware was included, (stickers too), naturally all hardware is protected or recessed.

Trial time: We went out to one of the popular local riding areas that is real rocky. I consider myself a pretty good rider as far as finesse and ability,(FYI). I spend a lot of my rides tailgating YZ thumper MX bikes. (they hate it when they can't shake a quad) So we were moving pretty good I nailed the skid plate at least five times to the point that the *** end hopped up. The skid never got close to the rotor or chain. You do lose a little bit of ground clearence but only to more beefiness, so it evens itself out. Towards the end of the ride, (5 mi out), I flatted and decided to limp her home instead taking the time to plug it, so know the skid was just taking all kinds of abuse. When I got back to the trucks I propped her up and the plate was tight had some good chunks out of it but all in all was bulletproof. I highly recommend it to anyone that rides high speed baja rocky type stuff. I orderd straight from PRM paid $95 with 3-day air shipping.

crday98
12-06-2001, 10:42 PM
i think PRM is the best in quality and durability.the welds are extremely good and i have never had any problems installing anything from them or anything breaking.they fit like a glove and i also think their bumpers are the best looking on the market.

Holty
12-07-2001, 07:42 AM
I also have the PRM swingarm skid, underbelly skid and A-arm skids. They are awesome! I also have the PRM Baja front bumper. They all fit very nicely and installation is easy as cake. I highly recommend them to anyone period. They are also light weight. I have pics coming soon and i'll do a review on them.

PhilMoore
12-25-2001, 08:49 PM
I have had the complete PRM belly armor setup with Baja bumper, on my 400EX for over a year, and they are hands down the best skids I have used. (MMF and RAD were the other two)

I have taken my stock chain slider, and riveted it to the PRM skid. It eliminates the lateral chain "slap" that occurs with the thin slider that comes with the skid.

Chef
12-25-2001, 10:16 PM
The Pro-Tect Stainless skids are good....

PhilMoore
07-23-2008, 08:59 AM
I saw that "old members" post in OT, so I thought I would try to find my first post on this site. I think this thread is it.

Anyway, I still have my PRM skids. The Belly skid and front bumper are fine, but the swingarm skid is in tough shape.

I have straightened it and welded it every summer for the past four years now. It looks like a big aluminum booger, but it still does the job.

It has taken some really hard hits. One was a full brake lock from fourth gear tapped into a boulder that missed the belly skid, but drilled the swingarm pretty hard core. I missed a much larger boulder to take the smaller strike. I was able to keep going, but it busted the welds and pushed the skidplate up into my long travel linkage. It wore some meat off the linkage from rubbing the rest of the race.

Probably time for a new one, but this still "works" I guess! :blah: