PDA

View Full Version : Lifan Kick Start Gears

svahle
10-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Does anyone know where to buy the kick start gear sets for a Lifan 140? My son's quad came with an extra motor which is the Lifan 140 mentioned above. We just put it in and it runs great. But I believe some teeth on one or more of the kick start gears are missing because sometimes the kick start lever doesn't engage anything. If the quad is pushed in gear so the motor turns over then the kick start will engage. It'll be torn down this week to confirm the issue, but I thought I'd go ahead and start searching for the likely parts I'll need. Thanks.

Ride1Rob
10-17-2011, 08:41 AM
More than likely its ur kick start bearing. Never heard of the gears being damaged. Check it sooner than later bc that can damage your right side case.

svahle
10-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Ride1Rob, thanks for the suggestion. It was torn down last week and the small gear behind the clutch basket was missing two teeth. Ordered the gear from Tbolt (which I received last Friday) and it'll be back together in time for our dune trip next week.

Just an FYI, there is even a youtube video on replacing this gear in the Lifan 140cc motor. Apparently this is not an uncommon failure based on my research. These motors like to kick back and that is likely when the gears fail. Many suggest to slowly cycle just past TDC before giving it a big kick. I also understand there is a decomp fix that Pitster has available which I may look into.

Ride1Rob
10-18-2011, 07:33 PM
The kick back occurs because of the lack of a decompression cam and advancing the timing makes it worse. Rotating the kicker like you said definitely helps. Myself, I've never heard of the gears failing but have had the bearing to crap on us first hand. Great to hear you found the issue though ;)