PDA

View Full Version : 05 450r bogs when landing jumps

atvrider13
10-11-2011, 12:01 AM
Hey everyone! My 05 450r runs great all of the time except when landin from a jump when i stab the throttle it bogs . Main jetting doesnt seem to matter. I have a 190 in it now and had as low as 180 in it. Full system and cam in it now. did it when i had stock cam and slipon too. I have the stock pilot jet in it. Any suggestions????

400exrider707
10-11-2011, 11:39 AM
You can start off by jetting appropriately...

How did you expect it to run ok but just switching out the main jet and not touching anything else?

I know even properly jetted 04/05 bikes used to have this problem though, as did mine, the key was putting the fuel petcock on reserve all the time instead of just "on", and I don't know why that did it, but it cured it on mine.

You need to start by jetting correctly, because there is no way it's right.

atvrider13
10-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
You can start off by jetting appropriately...

How did you expect it to run ok but just switching out the main jet and not touching anything else?

I know even properly jetted 04/05 bikes used to have this problem though, as did mine, the key was putting the fuel petcock on reserve all the time instead of just "on", and I don't know why that did it, but it cured it on mine.

You need to start by jetting correctly, because there is no way it's right. Why do you say there is no way my jetting is right? And dont be a d**k , im sick of people being d**ks to me on here!!!!!!

Pacheco_450r
10-11-2011, 01:09 PM
I think that you need to adjust your air screw (this adjusts your pilot circuit). Lightly seat the air screw and while the bike is running back it out a 1/4 to half turn at a time. The RPMs will start going up as you back out the screw. Keep backing out (up to 3 full turns) until you get the highest rpm rise. If it needs more then 3 turns bump up to the next pilot and start over. That will help with your jetting from off idle to quarter throttle which might be your problem.

400exrider707
10-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by atvrider13
Why do you say there is no way my jetting is right? And dont be a d**k , im sick of people being d**ks to me on here!!!!!!

Because you put a cam and full exhaust in, and have stock jetting still with a huge main jet.

Lets try and get it right then?

Any other mods? Air filter? Lid still on or off the box?

180 is probably too rich, and your pilot and needle are probably too lean.

Have you taken the spark plug out to check any of it out?

Not intending to be a dick, but your question was kind of silly to even ask don't you think? If one circuit of the carb needed changing (your main) why do you think the others would be ok? (pilot, needle position etc).

Changing your main probably isn't going to change the way it is when you stab it from no throttle to wide open, the circuits that are in charge of the first few positions of the throttle will effect this (1/4 throttle, 1/2 throttle, etc). You're probably lean across the board until about 3/4 to full throttle where I'm guessing you're rich.

AtvKid4Eva
10-11-2011, 02:51 PM
^^ If him asking a question bothers you SO much..why not just ignore it and not respond? Ive seen questions on here that are 10x worse than this one and the guy only has 29 posts so hes still new. Cut him some slack.

01boneless
10-11-2011, 05:41 PM
^^x2 i get bashed left and right lol and its always becuase im wrong about something (:blah: ) not because im new and a beginner but i would start with jetting espicly if you have a stock piliot and a/f settings imho

DnB_racing
10-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
^^x2 i get bashed left and right lol and its always becuase im wrong about something (:blah: ) not because im new and a beginner but i would start with jetting espicly if you have a stock piliot and a/f settings imho lol!!

how else would you know we care, its tough love your searching for Boneless:devil:

01boneless
10-12-2011, 07:02 AM
^^^^^ hahah how touching ;) lol:chinese:

400exrider707
10-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by AtvKid4Eva
^^ If him asking a question bothers you SO much..why not just ignore it and not respond? Ive seen questions on here that are 10x worse than this one and the guy only has 29 posts so hes still new. Cut him some slack.

It didn't bother me one bit, that's why I responded. He didn't ask how to jet his quad properly, he asked why it's bogging and not running correctly and the answer seemed rather obvious to me. He clearly knew enough to change the main jet, then clearly stated he left everything else stock. I cut him slack in my second post, asking him for details so we can help him get it jetted correctly. Which is more than I can say for anyone else posting in this thread.

atvrider13
10-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Ok , sorry i should have stated that i have adjusted the a/f screw also. I was assuming that i had to put a bigger pilot in it, i just havnt got a bigger one yet. And i just wanted to see what you guys thought. Or had any other suggestion as to what could be causing this.
I was just kind of ticked when i got attacked right away.
You cant tell me my jetting is ridiculously big, you have no clue where i live or the climate here. And with a richer jet in my quad it pulls longer in the gears. I run a 180 and just tried the 190 to see.
Btw i may be new to this forum but have been working on quads since some of you were prolly in diapers!!!

400exrider707
10-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by atvrider13
Ok , sorry i should have stated that i have adjusted the a/f screw also. I was assuming that i had to put a bigger pilot in it, i just havnt got a bigger one yet. And i just wanted to see what you guys thought. Or had any other suggestion as to what could be causing this.
I was just kind of ticked when i got attacked right away.
You cant tell me my jetting is ridiculously big, you have no clue where i live or the climate here. And with a richer jet in my quad it pulls longer in the gears. I run a 180 and just tried the 190 to see.
Btw i may be new to this forum but have been working on quads since some of you were prolly in diapers!!!

I'm just basing it on my personal experience. I've never needed to go that high on the main jet for any stock bore 450 I've built, no matter how built it was. A little rich on that side is probably a bit safer.

So if you look back at my questions in my second post and answer them, we can probably help you get a little closer on your jetting. The final jetting is going to be up to you though, since like you said, we don't know your elevation and every machine is different. I apologize if it sounded like I was "attacking you", it was not my intention, the internet makes it hard to read people sometimes.

:cool:

mhsrb23
10-12-2011, 01:36 PM
order the hrc jet kit for the 04/05s($25) problem solved unless you want to spend some bucks to get dynoed