PDA

View Full Version : Well what do you know, time to adjust the valves

Thumpin440ex
10-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Have about 20 hours on this since the new top end went in, including the crf chain.. went riding yesterday, noticed a little more then usual ticking, a small lose in throttle response.. Cleaned it all up today and got all the plastics, tank off.. Gona do the valves tom.. It is 04k on the intakes, 05k on the exhaust correct??

John

CJM
10-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Yep. .004in intake and .005in exhaust

Thumpin440ex
10-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks man, just wanted to be sure.. Been a while since I have done them.. You need to pull the inspection covers off the side case, line up the mark, be sure the valves are all loose correct, then set the lash.. Also the timing chain is just pull the cover off, adjust it with a flat head??

Thanks

John

CJM
10-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Yep, thats the way.

Shouldnt need to adjust the timing chain my friend. I mean unless you have a manual adjuster or something.

Thumpin440ex
10-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Yep, thats the way.

Shouldnt need to adjust the timing chain my friend. I mean unless you have a manual adjuster or something.

You don't think with it being a new chain that it slacked up enough to make a difference?

On a side note how do you like that CCP?? Did it help alot??
John

DnB_racing
10-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
Thanks man, just wanted to be sure.. Been a while since I have done them.. You need to pull the inspection covers off the side case, line up the mark, be sure the valves are all loose correct, then set the lash.. Also the timing chain is just pull the cover off, adjust it with a flat head??

Thanks

John when you reinstalled the automatic chain adjuster , did you back it all the way out and let it adjust to the chain? if not the timing chain will be way too tight and will stretch your chain and wear the guides, and possible even destroy your crank bearing

CJM
10-10-2011, 09:21 PM
^ x2, couldnt really have said it better myself.

I keep mine adjusted out, tighten it up and let the screwdriver fly off.

As for the ccp, WELL worth the cash. The bars never come outta my hands riding ever.

Thumpin440ex
10-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
when you reinstalled the automatic chain adjuster , did you back it all the way out and let it adjust to the chain? if not the timing chain will be way too tight and will stretch your chain and wear the guides, and possible even destroy your crank bearing

A shop did the chain, head work, cam install for me.. I would think it is done the proper way.. But to be honest I do not know as I have never checked..

John

400exrider707
10-11-2011, 11:29 AM
The cam chain tensioner is automatic brother.

The valves are super easy to adjust on the 400. I used to do mine weekly.

Thumpin440ex
10-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks man...Yah I just was reading on that a little earlier.. Valves are done now, cleaning it up, putting it back to together

John