PDA

View Full Version : weak 250r's?

David28
02-25-2003, 11:00 AM
im buying a 250r and was wondering if there was any weak spots on them to look for damage?

Are the axels very strong?

tants
02-25-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by David28
im buying a 250r and was wondering if there was any weak spots on them to look for damage?

Are the axels very strong?

stock axles are pretty strong on the Rs. look on the frames for any cracks or any ugly welds. there much more on this but i dont feel like typing. do a search on 250rs and you will find out tons of info.

http://exriders.com/vbb/search.php?s=

stroked300ex
03-20-2003, 03:19 PM
check to see if there is any cracks on the frame.. then check the axle to see if there is any bends.. check the a-arms and see if they are ok.. and make sure the dang engine isnt half blown up.. listen for a knockin sound or gasket leaks.. later

honda_250x_87
03-22-2003, 02:31 PM
hey.. my 250x kinda makes a knocking sound.. it sounds like somethings blowing and kinda knocking.. whats that? it just started.. its not really a knock.. just kinda blowing.. hard to explain when im not on it.. lol

stroked300ex
03-23-2003, 03:21 PM
if its knocking, its about to blow up or if it sounds like a type writter or something, your valves need to be adjusted.. mine was knockin for 2 weeks and then one day it just blew up.. sorry man

honda_250x_87
03-23-2003, 04:05 PM
nope, its not a knock.. i fixed er.. :D the exhaust was loose.. it wasnt really a knock, it was a kinda.. well.. i dunno, it dosent d it anymore.. lol.. & the ole 250x was all rebuilt last summer..

Lil90man!!
03-29-2003, 02:50 PM
just for reference he is talkn' bout a 250R not an x, x is a four stroke, r is a two stroke if your 250r's vavles are knocking, then something is SERIOUSLY wrong with it:blah i agree with tants do a search there is alot of good info on here

deathman53
04-09-2003, 03:10 PM
ask him what bore the cylinder is on. 85-86 can be bored 140 over, 87-89 80 over. the usual spots for cracks are the motor mounts on 86's, for all r's they crack around the pegs, the head stay, near the handle bars, and shock mounts. check the swingarm bearings, axle bearings, hub bearings, and ESPECIALLY look if the left case has been cracked, alot of times they are, because people don't believe in usign case savers, why??? i don't know. also make sure the vin plate is still on, it is located on the subfame on the left side beneath the shock. look at the rear disc they often crack and the front brakes tend to seize. there are some other things to look for but in general if it doesn't look right question it and don't buy the frist one you see, don't make the same mistake I made.