PDA

View Full Version : If I switched from mx to trail bashing?

sunco
10-10-2011, 06:45 AM
So if I hang up my mx career & look to buy a 4x4 quad, what is a good choice? I'm a Honda guy FYI. Not sure what a good fit would be. Suggestions? I'm a 50 yr old guy, 200+ lbs. Looking for that next adrenaline rush :devil:

Balaz_73*00
10-10-2011, 07:10 AM
I been thinking the same thing. Mind you im only 24 but I just started my career and the mx riding is a lil to extreme now with my responsibilities. I was thinkin making the switch to xc. Those 4x4 can ams have my attention.

CJM
10-10-2011, 07:39 AM
Honda Rincon, imho it cant be beat for a utility quad.

Tommy Warren
10-10-2011, 08:36 AM
if your a honda guy get the rincon 680 with the torque converter tranny...no belts to break or change.

otherwise the Can-ams are taking over with the renegade or outlander 1000's....those will blow your hair back...oh wait your 50....they will blow whats left of your hair back:eek: :blah: :D

finsteratv
10-10-2011, 07:49 PM
i'd keep your 450 with some good suspension and try some XC! personally i love flying through the woods, building an XC track right now :)

jb500ex
10-10-2011, 07:57 PM
can ams are fast but built like ****. if your good at welding get the can am. go for the suzuki king quad

quad2xtreme
10-11-2011, 01:15 AM
Don,

IMO, you are far from wanting or needing a 4X4. I just ran a stock 450r with the exception of 12 tooth front sprocket and 22" Razr 2 rear tires. Had an absolute blast.

We just spent 3 days riding at Hatfield McCoy with my two brothers. Connie runs a full 50" wide suspension. The need for narrow quads has quickly faded with all the interest in UTVs.

I'd at least ride your quad in the woods before going the full 4X4 route.

/Jon

sunco
10-11-2011, 04:33 AM
Hey jon, one thing is I just had my motor rebuild.it would be cheaper also. I always ripped around on my 450r before doing the mx thing. I'll check out the rincon 680 for sure. I'm lucky-not a balding spot on me, lol. times are changing so just wanted to see what the other guys are doing :D

quad2xtreme
10-11-2011, 06:19 AM
Look at GT Thunder, Teixeira for a sprocket and rotor guard setup or Lonestar. http://www.teixeiratech.com/

Connie is running a Blingstar rotor guard with a Lonestar single sprocket guard (stainless steel) and having great success with it. You have to run a chain guide too with this setup. Walsh makes that bolts to a stock swinger that is plastic with a nice aluminum cage around it.

You don't need a-arm guards.

For a frame skid, I'd either go with 1/8" aluminum one or get one from Hyde Racing. The Hyde Racing one is durable and light.

I ran 22" tires this weekend because of the stock swingarm guard. We were in some really rocky terrain and I barely even hit it. In fact, I really didn't hit anything with this setup. I am not sure I am going to change it up for at least a few more rides.

CJM
10-11-2011, 04:07 PM
FWIW I have 20" rears on my 400ex and use a pro-armor skid. I went to the PA coal mines and we also rode on basically a bed of rocks. Sure the swinger skid took some damage but not once did it fail. Its slightly dented and gouged from some rouch/pointy rocks but it still works fine. FYI its a 1/4 thick AL skid. I also ran NO other skid the entire time but the factory EX belly skid (which is basically worthless. Had I 22" rears I probably wouldnt have hit a thing as I woulda be higher

chucked
10-11-2011, 05:05 PM
All the big utes break easy, figure they're using the same metal a sport quad has except they weigh twice as much. Honda doesn't have any competitive utes, I'm a honda guy and Ive had a few kawi brute forces. The 2012 brute force 750 has been completely redesigned and is the best bang for the buck. Ridersville cycle has them for I think $7500 otd.

dan harris
10-12-2011, 06:32 AM
Don - If you Quit motocross - I'm selling the park !!!

flyboy62
10-13-2011, 08:08 AM
dan if you sell it to me he will quit tomorrow and there will be a nice harley in our shop :)

quad2xtreme
10-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Don,

I guess I didn't make my post 100% clear. You can run one quad for both mx and the trails...especially at our level. If you are going to ride trails at the big parks like Hatfield, the 4X4 isn't going to give you much that you can't do on a sport quad. And even a 50" wide quad isn't an issue.

Now if you have some private land areas you plan to ride then you can encounter situations that 4X4 would be required. The big public riding areas get enough trial maintenance that 4X4 just isn't needed.

sunco
10-19-2011, 06:17 AM
Dan I would not like to see you sell the park........... guess I'll keep going. Where has the time gone, Gracefully aging I hope. Zach hates digging a hole let alone moving all earth that you do Dan :D . Jon good advise, I have a set of big wheels/Hipers & it would be cheaper just to run what I have. Looking forward to headed back to BPG before the 1st snow falls. Not sure when I'll make it back to NC Jon but I'll look forward to seeing you & Connie when we do.

Happiest & Good Health to all

From a 50 Year old ****** :macho