PDA

View Full Version : quads v/s bikes

deerman
02-25-2003, 10:22 AM
why is it that quads don't get the attention that bikes do? it is getting pretty old watching supercross on tv lets put some quads on tv for once.and the factory support sucks to looking at the gncc pay back bikes get twice as much pay back and support i don't know what atv motocross is like on pay back but i'm sure not to many people are making a living by racing quads nothing like bike racers do. we need to find a way to make quads more popular to the public by putting them on tv i know the gncc series was on oln but you get to see 30min of a 2hr race.:mad:

Razorback
02-25-2003, 10:30 AM
The government regulations in the late 80s/early 90s killed the momentum that quad racing had. Plus, remember that dirt bikes have been around significantly longer. Now that sport quads are getting better and better, more people are noticing how fun quad racing is/can be. It will take a while, but it is getting more popular.

The absolute key to getting more exposure is corporate sponsorship. There is no other way around it. The dirt bikers that make a living at it, don't make all their money at the races, they get paid just to ride. Until that starts happening with quads, you'll never see it get much better very fast.

MxDale71
02-25-2003, 01:29 PM
There won't be any factory support, if the manufacturers don't think there's enough intrest in quad racing. What it all comes down to is numbers. Like in 1st grade when your teacher told you "There's power in numbers"... thats absolutely true. If you want the quad riders in your area to get more respect, you have to try to get as many people to start racing as you can. When quad racing becomes more popular like that, the manufacturers will see that they can make money by supporting some pro riders, and with factory support, comes TV coverage. You wouldn't see bikes on TV either if it wasn't for factory support because Suzuki and Honda pay money to ESPN to have the racing shown and then that way their name is constantly mentioned.

It doesn't matter how fast those pro guys are... the success of quad racing all depends on us amature racers/riders. The factories aren't trying to appeal to the pro riders... most of them would be more than happy to ride their quad if they're getting money to do it. They want to appeal to us, so it's up to us to show support for the sport so they feel like they can actually make some money by offering the support to Pro riders.

hsr
02-25-2003, 01:46 PM
quad riders/racers need to start riding at a younger age and get more exposure to the sport and the feel of a quad. most of the pro dirt bikers started riding as soon as they could walk, this will produce faster riders hands down

R-Crazy
02-25-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by hsr
quad riders/racers need to start riding at a younger age and get more exposure to the sport and the feel of a quad. most of the pro dirt bikers started riding as soon as they could walk, this will produce faster riders hands down

that all depends, Jeremy McGrath started riding at 14 i think. a lot of the REALLY good riders started at thier own pace, and later in life, and werent forced into doing what thier parents wanted them to do.

dave

BigThumper33
02-25-2003, 04:58 PM
I think with the new exposure of the atv video games, ATV racing is actually starting to be known. Its coming...slowly

Ryan
02-25-2003, 07:18 PM
Its definitly coming. Kawasaki is supposivley to have a race team for 2003. Im sure the other companies are beginning to realize the accomplishments atv racing has made and they will get invloved eventually. JMO

We are starting to see more coverage on TV with the GNCC's being aired for a short period of time. I havn't seen the show personally. That guy "Fisher" Is coming out with a sport atv show this summer sometime in July. High Octane will be improving there coverage on atv racing. If your intrested on what High Octane might be doing.... You can find them on the GNC fourm of Atv Scene (http://www.********.com/) .

I think it going along pretty darn good :D .

rookiex
02-26-2003, 09:49 AM
I had a debate on this like a week ago, good subject there where like 143 threads.

raptor_02
02-26-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by hsr
quad riders/racers need to start riding at a younger age and get more exposure to the sport and the feel of a quad. most of the pro dirt bikers started riding as soon as they could walk, this will produce faster riders hands down speed isn't the problem with PRO QUADS. PRO QUADS are extremely fast and its real exciting to see how fast they are. A PRO QUAD RIDER could probaly beat an A class bike rider around a NATIONAL track. That's my opinion. I have watched Jeremiah Jones and others go around Daniel Boone MX and I have watched the PRO BIKES like Kevin Walker, John Boruff, Kelly Smith and the PRO QUADS were just as fast. They could do every jump the bikes could do and go around corners just as hard. But those guys are no where near the speed of Carmichael and Stewart. But its still highly impressive how fast the PRO QUADS really are.

hsr
02-26-2003, 03:00 PM
the name of this thread is pro dirt bike riders vs. pro quad riders.
okay lets just say that the fastest atv racer would be jeramiah jones , now lets take the fastest dirt bike rider, ricky carmichael

carmichael started riding at the age of 5

when did jeramiah jones start racing?????

point proven , no one on a quad could even touch carmichael, not even come close to him , or most of the other pro dirt bikers for that matter

raptor_02
02-26-2003, 03:40 PM
actually the thread name pal is quads v/s bikes. Dude don't compare the speed of Carmichael to the speed of PRO QUAD riders. The only reason I even mentioned bikes in my previous thread is because I have seen them and quads on the same track and the quads were just as fast. You were trying to act like if quad riders started earlier and were faster the factories would come around. Speed is not the problem, its the fact that factories just don't want to get involved yet. Notice I said yet though. You need to go to a PRO QUAD national before you reply. I have seen them in person and its amazing how they can do anything they want with a 330-370lb machine. They cleared jumps that I didn't think were possible on a quad and they did it with ease.

flyin#5
02-26-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by deerman
why is it that quads don't get the attention that bikes do? it is getting pretty old watching supercross on tv lets put some quads on tv for once.and the factory support sucks to looking at the gncc pay back bikes get twice as much pay back and support i don't know what atv motocross is like on pay back but i'm sure not to many people are making a living by racing quads nothing like bike racers do. we need to find a way to make quads more popular to the public by putting them on tv i know the gncc series was on oln but you get to see 30min of a 2hr race.:mad:

x games petition (http://www.quadshot.homestead.com/untitled1.html)

Ryan
02-26-2003, 05:10 PM
Pro Atv riders are very impressive around the motocross track. Not even close to Carmicheal though but thats a hole different story. I'd like to see him take a good race quad around a track and see how he performs. ;)

Im just gonna through this in here.... As for XC racing, How are the Pro Atv riders compared to the Pro Dirtbike riders? Thanks.

MxDale71
02-26-2003, 10:15 PM
Ok guys... lets do a little thinking here. Yes, Carmicheal is MUCH faster than Jones or Farr, but Carmicheal has a motor thats in the same class and a ride that is 100+ lbs lighter. Basically, the quad riders are practically riding 1 1/2 dirtbikes at the same time on the track and still hauling ***** (bikes weigh about 215 +/- and quads weigh about 330ish). Yes, Stewart rides a smaller engined bike than what the quads are running but he is just an unbelievable rider. He's a better rider than RC is... actually his lap times at one of the West coast tracks was about 1 second faster than Ricky's and Ricky has twice the motor. I believe Reed is a faster rider than RC too. Unfortunately Chad has a experience disadvantage in that class and he tends to get a little ahead of himself and make some mistakes, but when he's riding clean, RC can't even gain any time on him, let alone pass him.

Ok, sorry, WAAAAAAY off topic. Anyways... what I'm trying to say here is, bikes have the obvious advantage over quads, and yes they are faster. But they show snowcross on TV too, and quads are faster than snowmobiles (on the track... not in a straight line or anything like that), but snowmobiles have factory support. Like I said before, there won't be factory support if there isn't enough interest in the sport. As long as things keep going the way they are, it won't be to long before we start seeing some factory support... almost every race is seeing record turnouts, and more sport quads are going to be released because the 400 class quad is the obvious big seller and the factories go where the money is.

I'm gonna quit rambling now...

Later!

"BLAHH"300!!
02-26-2003, 11:25 PM
i know ya'll ganna think i'm nuts, but i think this is what needs to happen.

.. the discovery channle, or tlc or something needs to make a pit stop by ECATV, OR K&K ATV...a big out fit that specializes in fabrication of hybrid quads. PRO-FAB ATV.
they hung out with jessie james of west cost choppers this long...(to me he's a prick man...his attitude got old quick.)
let em' set up cammera's when a new hybrid monster roll in the shop. have it go from a bone stock bike, through all the headach's of getting parts. to finished, CRF YZ monter we all wanna ride.
remember "RAP-DADY"? have the company that customized
his raptor on there making something.
350REX hybrids, CRF/YZ convertions'. throw in a little 3CYLINDER banshee stuff....
let a few companies compete, give em' 4 weeks to produce the nicest convertion, and they win. and we get to watch...

Ryan
02-27-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by MxDale71
Ok guys... lets do a little thinking here. Yes, Carmicheal is MUCH faster than Jones or Farr, but Carmicheal has a motor thats in the same class and a ride that is 100+ lbs lighter. Basically, the quad riders are practically riding 1 1/2 dirtbikes at the same time on the track and still hauling ***** (bikes weigh about 215 +/- and quads weigh about 330ish). Yes, Stewart rides a smaller engined bike than what the quads are running but he is just an unbelievable rider. He's a better rider than RC is... actually his lap times at one of the West coast tracks was about 1 second faster than Ricky's and Ricky has twice the motor. I believe Reed is a faster rider than RC too. Unfortunately Chad has a experience disadvantage in that class and he tends to get a little ahead of himself and make some mistakes, but when he's riding clean, RC can't even gain any time on him, let alone pass him.

Ok, sorry, WAAAAAAY off topic. Anyways... what I'm trying to say here is, bikes have the obvious advantage over quads, and yes they are faster. But they show snowcross on TV too, and quads are faster than snowmobiles (on the track... not in a straight line or anything like that), but snowmobiles have factory support. Like I said before, there won't be factory support if there isn't enough interest in the sport. As long as things keep going the way they are, it won't be to long before we start seeing some factory support... almost every race is seeing record turnouts, and more sport quads are going to be released because the 400 class quad is the obvious big seller and the factories go where the money is.

I'm gonna quit rambling now...

Later!

Well that sounds right, lol.

Lets keep our fingers crossed!

Blah300, What are you talking about? :huh ;)

"BLAHH"300!!
02-27-2003, 09:06 PM
......haha.....i thought this was about getting more atv's on t.v.
my bad.....