PDA

View Full Version : Let's Screw with these guys.....

dquarton
10-09-2011, 02:12 PM
I have been finding numerous ads like this on Craigslist that are complete scams tryuing to screw unknowing people out of the deposit they put down for the ATV's they are advertising at ridiculously low prices. They ask you to complete the transaction through ebay and put down half the asking price through a 'secure' third party payment site. Once you do that your money is good as gone.

Well, I have been replying to every single one of these ads and saying that I am very interested in the quad and want to purchase it ASAP. At that point the guys on the other end have all the fictitious paperwork drawn up in my name (fake name) and try to make the deal look as legit as possible. The final process is to actually fill out the payment slip with CC number and fax to someone who will run your card, and of course I dont ever do that, I just keep telling the guy that I have, and string him along, and keep asking him when the quad will be sent. I know this may seem tedious, but maybe if we get about 50 guys doing this it will drive them crazy to the point they will stop this BS practice. Here is one of the ads:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/2638282207.html

This is the response I got:

"I live in Bonners Ferry, ID, I've just moved and the ATV is here with me. It has clean title, cleared of any obligations or fees (no lien).

I want to close this deal through eBay. It will be shipped from Bonners Ferry and I'll pay the delivery costs. It will arrive at your address in 3-5 days, then you'll have 5 days for inspection. I'll start the shipping process in the same day with the payment confirmation. eBay will keep the paid amount until you'll receive, inspect and agree with the ATV. This is their policy regarding this type of transactions.

Tell me if you are still interested and I will contact eBay regarding our transaction. In order to do that I need your contact details, full name and shipping address. They will send you all the details (delivery and payment information)."

__________________________________________________ __________

It just drives me crazy that some a-hole/a-holes are doing this and many times doing it under the guise of being in the military. Flagging these idiots does not seem to do any good, so if anything maybe we can drive them nuts thinking that they are going to be receiving all sorts of money......

DoonRider
10-09-2011, 02:43 PM
A little different deal but I messed with one of these guys once. They sent the money order. I told them I cashed it. Then I kept making up excuses why I couldn't wire them the money. I said I was in a car accident, then I told him I got pulled over by the cops with all the money and they confiscated it. It went on for weeks with the other guy getting mad as hell. I think he convinced himself that I actually owed him the money. Then one night at 2 or 3 am I get a phone call from a relay service with him on the other end. He made a bunch of threats and then I told him the FBI was using me to investigate him. That was BS, but I was trying to shake him because I was actually getting a little worried. When seeing out of state vehicles in the neighborhood concerned me, I figured I probably took it too far. It was kinda fun though.

250Renvy
10-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Doonrider, I don't know how that would have worked. You wouldn't be able to keep the money, because they send you a fraudulant check or money order and hope that you send it as soon as you get it before you find out it's fake.

My brother had that happen to him when the scam first started. He even gave the bank 30 days to clear it, they did, then they found out that the check/money order was legit, but stolen. They wanted the money back, but he had already shipped the item. He had to go to court to clear it up. It took 3 years to get the credit cleared up.

DoonRider
10-09-2011, 04:27 PM
I didn't have the actual cash of course. I just let him think I did. I suppose he assumed I got the cash and wanted to wrap up the deal before the bank discovered the money order wasnt good. Like I said, it was almost like he convinced himself I had his money.
Going into this, I knew this was a scam so I just verified the money order over the phone with the bank. They said it was an actual money order but it had been cashed already. He overpaid for the item, I had to send the extra cash and then later ship the pickup I was selling.

DnB_racing
10-09-2011, 08:02 PM
I replied to there add, and got the same response,

I told them I had relatives in Spokane and would have them pay for it full in cash in person... needless to say they stopped answering my emails after that

dquarton
10-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
I replied to there add, and got the same response,

I told them I had relatives in Spokane and would have them pay for it full in cash in person... needless to say they stopped answering my emails after that

Of course......

DnB_racing
10-10-2011, 05:28 AM
here is a response I finally got from them they are pretty good at trying to convince people to buy, Im sure they tricked a few people

(I am sorry but I don't have time for meetings, that's why eBay is the only option for me now. Now I am out of town in a business trip and the ATV is already in the shipping company's custody. They will handle the delivery for me and eBay will manage the payment process. This is how the transaction works. I am waiting an answer today if you're still interested, if not, have a great day and hope you'll find another ATV.)

this is after he said the atv is with him,he sent pics and all, They are the reason to never buy a quad without looking at it in person

Fear250r
10-10-2011, 06:13 AM
I saw one of these kind of ads for a truck. Guy told me it was in a shipping container on a military base ready to go. When I told him I'd have a (marine) buddy go take a look at it, he said it wouldn't be possible because it was all wrapped up, blah, blah, blah...these guys are ridiculous.

fastrnrik
10-10-2011, 03:15 PM
It's really funny when you see your bike on one of these scammer ads. These clowns take the pics right off ebay or craigslist. I was selling one of my sons mini quads one time and saw it for sale on craigslist LOL. When I emailed I got the same response- he was in the military and it was already boxed up, money would need to be put in an "escrow account", etc, etc. I had fun f'ing with that guy LOL

dquarton
10-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I have about 3 of these guys going right now. I just keep telling them that I sent all the paperwork in with my cradit card info and when will they ship the quad. I am also having them send and re-send the paperwork over an over......