PDA

View Full Version : ? On Matching 450R and aftermarket 250r parts

quadfmx
10-09-2011, 11:22 AM
On a walsh 250R swingarm could u run a 450R carrier axle etc? I have all the 450R parts,
reason being RPM doesnt offer the XC version of their axle for the 250r anymore

quadfmx
10-09-2011, 06:05 PM
I did a search here and on some other sites,
I just didnt find an exact answer to my ?
I read on the comparison chart you can run a 450R carrier and axle on a 250 if u use spacers, I wasnt sure if this was the same on aftermarket and stock,

Who has done this and could point me in the direction of the size of spacers requirec etc,

As I already have the Swing arm on the way, have an RPM bearing carrier I was going to use on a 450R, and since RPM does not any longer offer an XC version of their Axle, and I already had the new carrier and was planning on running the 450R brakes on the bike anyways, the only question to me was the spacers,
I dont want to rig something up just to get the XC axle, I would probably be fine with the 250R version anyways,

I mainly wanted more info on these spacers and pics of them on a bike if possible

danhung11
10-10-2011, 03:19 AM
I might be selling my RPM Dominator XC axle, it's like new. Drop your email for pics. If you want new, you could always run a 400EX, but would need to run the matching hubs.

Dan

C-LEIGH RACING
10-10-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the 450R stuff is wider than a 250R.
I have a 450R down right now, replacing the axle bearings & will check the difference between the two carriers.

I know the 450R rear caliper & mounting bracket will work on a 250R, so it might be the 450R carrier from being wider, could present a problem with the little pin on the swingarm locating the rear caliper mounting bracket.
I'll check today.
Neil

danhung11
10-10-2011, 08:37 AM
I think troybilt did the brake conversion on the rear, check out his Elsinore build thread.

Neil, nice work on Doug's 350PV. It looked like a runner, drinking race gas like it's Gatorade with that 40.5 carb. :D

C-LEIGH RACING
10-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Hey thats good, cause more fuel mix you can flow through one, longer it will last.
Neil

C-LEIGH RACING
10-10-2011, 03:07 PM
quadfmx,
A 250R carrier, is (6 1/4" long) from where the sprocket side bumps up aginst the swingarm to where the brake stay sits.
The 450R is, (6 1/8" long).

The 250R axle, is (10 1/8" long) from the face of the sprocket hub aginst the bearing race out to where the c clip groove is for the axle nut.
450R axle, is (10 1/4" long) from sprocket hub spacer aginst the bearing race out to the c clip groove for the axle nut.

So, it looks like probably the 250R swingarm where the carrier goes in, will be wider than the 450R axle carrier & you wont be able to put the rear caliper brake stay in place.
You could get the stay onto what is left of the carrier sticking out, but couldnt get the e clip on the carrier to hold the brake stay on.

Now most steel 250R brake stays, have a little bent lip that sticks out I guess to make it wider as it sits on the axle carrier, dont know if you could grind some of that thickness off to make it narrower to make it work.
Might could as well, take the 450R stay & machine it on the back side, so it would stick up into the swingarm a little & fill the void between the edge of the swingarm & into the face of the carrier.

With just a bit of modding, you might could make it work, but would be some odd stuff to someone if you ever sold it like that.
Neil