PDA

View Full Version : My "TWO" 89' TRX 250R Restoration/Builds!!

superman
10-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Thats right, what once started as the desire to completely restore a 1989 TRX 250R to is OEM look, has turned into a double project!! But by doing everything together in 2s I don't think it will be as bad as it may first seem! Anyway, we'll see how it goes, stay tuned!! :D

superman
10-08-2011, 04:01 PM
This is all the bolts and hardware for both 250r's, I had it sent thru an acid bath and then re-zinc coated at Central Kentucky Processing in Lexington, Ky. These guys do an outstanding job for a very fair price, and the bolts and all metal parts come back looking new!! I disassembled both bikes and put all bolts and metal parts in one 5gal bucket, and they did them for $100!! I found out about these guys from a guy I work with at Toyota who restored two 57 Chevys. PM for their contact info...

theduke300
10-08-2011, 09:12 PM
love the idea of 2 quads at once(too bad i cant afford to build one lol) where abouts in kentucky are you located?

Fear250r
10-09-2011, 02:44 AM
Damn...those bolts look real good!!

bigE28
10-09-2011, 07:38 AM
nice find on the bolts!! you cannot buy new ones that cheap!!

superman
10-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by theduke300
love the idea of 2 quads at once(too bad i cant afford to build one lol) where abouts in kentucky are you located?
Originally from Bardstown, Ky but recently moved to Georgetown, Ky just outside of Lexington to be closer to Toyota where I work.

A yeah bigE and Fear250, I agree on the bolts, I was blown away when I got them all back! They also did my 2 stock axles with the sprocket hubs on them and they look really good as well!!

superman
10-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Just my first weekend working on them, but Im making some decent progress. Alot of racing and football on tv so kinda hard to stay at it, but to my advantage my team has a bye week!!

superman
10-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Still havent figured out how to put more than 1 pic in a post! lol

RichM1983
10-12-2011, 07:12 PM
I must say you have got one great looking set of bikes coming together. Where did you get all of the factory stuff to start these builds? Did you have to stockers that needed restored or did you part them together? Great work!

J250r
10-12-2011, 07:35 PM
The hardware looks like it turned out great, it's gonna be like riding two brand new machines.

Is that a third project I see stuffed in the back??

danhung11
10-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Looking good superman! Those bolts look amazing, do you mind snapping some closeups of those? I think a USPS flat rate box to Georgetown, KY is in order!

Do they have a website?

89trx250r
10-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Very nice bikes! What are your plans for that lonestar in the corner?

troybilt
10-13-2011, 07:00 AM
Looks awesome, I've got a bunch of bolts that need recoated... I think I need to get in touch with those guys.

superman
10-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Thanks guys! I started with 2 fairly nice 89's in the beggining, just had to hunt down some OEM parts to try to get them back to original. Prob gonna do one with aftermarket fenders and a exhaust system, the other bone stock. The Lonestar in the background is a whole other project, I will do a build thread on it later, it should turn out to be a real nice aftermarket R! As for the bolts, yeah I'll post some good closeup pics and the flatrate box is the best idea! I spoke with Dustin Shuler earlier today and that was my suggestion to him, a US Postal Flat rate box!!

crlt250r
10-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by superman
This is all the bolts and hardware for both 250r's, I had it sent thru an acid bath and then re-zinc coated at Central Kentucky Processing in Lexington, Ky. These guys do an outstanding job for a very fair price, and the bolts and all metal parts come back looking new!! I disassembled both bikes and put all bolts and metal parts in one 5gal bucket, and they did them for $100!! I found out about these guys from a guy I work with at Toyota who restored two 57 Chevys. PM for their contact info...

Superman!!!!! I was checking the pic out, and from my count, they gave you 1 too many radiator bolts..... LOL. Looking awesome!!!!! BIG ENVY!!!!!!

DoonRider
10-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Cool - 2 is always better than one.
What color and brand of paint did you use?

Mine is getting painted next week and I have to pick out the color tomorrow.

superman
10-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by DoonRider
Cool - 2 is always better than one.
What color and brand of paint did you use?

Mine is getting painted next week and I have to pick out the color tomorrow.
Its a PPG powder known as "Red-80" and I think its the best match I've ever seen in person out in sunlight! He shot a clear powder over my red which I didnt ask for, it makes it real shinny, but I thought it worked out fine.

superman
10-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Here is a closer look at some of the nuts and bolts and other brackets I had re-zinced.

superman
10-13-2011, 04:44 PM
A close look at some of the larger bolts in the frame, and a good look at the red PC!

DoonRider
10-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks. I'm going to check on that coat of clear. Looks great.

HotRodJoe
10-13-2011, 07:55 PM
Those bolts look nice!

dustinshuler
10-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Igot the bolts boxed up and they shipped out yestarday! Thanks again SUPERMAN!!!

superman
10-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by HotRodJoe
Those bolts look nice!
Hey welcome to the atv forum world Joe! And thanks for the great tip on the bolt restoration!!

And no problem Dustin!!

DoonRider
10-15-2011, 11:47 AM
If anybody is sending in some bolts and wants to split a bulk lot charge. I got some a-arm and shock bolts I wouldn't mind having done. Not quite worth it by themselves. Let me know, I am easy to work with and in no rush.

danhung11
10-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by DoonRider
If anybody is sending in some bolts and wants to split a bulk lot charge. I got some a-arm and shock bolts I wouldn't mind having done. Not quite worth it by themselves. Let me know, I am easy to work with and in no rush.

Same here, trying to decide if I want to take a part a bike I just put together to do the bolts. :confused: then I kick myself for trashing some nice bolts due to them looking like complete junk. My question is, how would they distinguish the two separate orders.

I think your onto something here Superman! Thanks for sharing the info! :D

superman
10-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Yeah thats kinda the problem, this place is a large facility that does huge production stuff, they run small parts thru all day in cages they have to load and unload with fork trucks! The bolts are just a lil something that they will do for people on the side, and they have a minimum run charge of $100, so thats where that comes from. They put all the bolts in 1 steel tub with a lid and small holes in it and it rotates as it goes thru, so if people were gonna split the cost it would be up to you to seperate your own pieces when they returned.

DoonRider
10-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Dan - the plater would see it as one order/ one lot charge. It would be up to the guy splitting them to determine whose is whose. A digital picture and a pack list could determine that. Before they are shipped out to the plater, the shipping member would have to note any dinged up heads or stripped threads I guess and make the other guy aware of them.
Since mine have lost their original finish, any improvement is a bonus, just that the cost isn't quite justified with the quantity.

DoonRider
10-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Its a PPG powder known as "Red-80" and I think its the best match I've ever seen in person out in sunlight! He shot a clear powder over my red which I didnt ask for, it makes it real shinny, but I thought it worked out fine.

You have any issues with that extra coat of clear paint making tolerances in the shock or a-arm tabs too tight? I haven't got my arms yet so I didn't try mine (i did the clear too), but I am hitting some of the bolt holes with an abrasive in a dremel to take down the paint a bit. Wondering if/how you are taking care of it...

fx4pitrone
10-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Those bolts look amazing!!! Do you know if brake rotors can be done also? How about hose clamps?
Thanks....

superman
10-27-2011, 07:08 PM
DoonRider- I havent been having much issue with the thickness of the powdercoat, but the couple times I have, I did exactly what your talkin about and used my dremel with a fine round sanding drum.

fx4pitrone- hose clamps can be done for sure, and I will let you know about rotors tomorrow and post pics, I took 2 rear rotors there today to try them.

fx4pitrone
10-28-2011, 06:20 AM
Awesome... thanks a lot!! I appreciate it! How about brake caliper pistons??? Any clue if those can be done also? Axles?

superman
10-28-2011, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by fx4pitrone
Awesome... thanks a lot!! I appreciate it! How about brake caliper pistons??? Any clue if those can be done also? Axles? If you look at the other thread that dustinshuler started yesterday about his bolts and parts you will see my comment where I did 2 stock axles that turned out nice. Was trying to keep my build thread for my two 89's from not turning into a bolt restoration discussion. Thanks, Ryan

fx4pitrone
10-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Thanks man! My bad!! Bikes are looking great!! LOL....:D

ah665
10-28-2011, 01:23 PM
I know these quads are gonna be amazing when i am already in awe of just the hardware. Either way, detail is key and I am excited to see how these quads turn out. Looks like you have a 3rd one in the background too.

superman
10-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Makin some progress! A lil more on one than the other, it gets time consuming bouncing back n forth between the two bikes. Plus Im tryna get one done to go on display in my local Honda shop!

superman
10-28-2011, 07:28 PM
trx

troybilt
10-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Those look awesome Superman, glad your restoring a piece of history, and 2 beauties at that!!

Gresham250R
10-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Looking good Ryan! Wish I could do something like that!

superman
10-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks guys! Its a very time consuming process, heck you know that Troy! Especially when your tryna pay attention to each and every little detail!!

wes350x
10-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Man I know its been said....But those are SWEET! Very nice

superman
11-05-2011, 06:17 PM
The first of the twins is complete!!

fx4pitrone
11-05-2011, 06:43 PM
That looks amazing!!! And Damn, that was fast!

superman
11-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by fx4pitrone
That looks amazing!!! And Damn, that was fast!
Thanks! Yeah I pressed hard on the first one because its going in my local Honda shop!!:cool:

troybilt
11-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Looks outstanding Ryan!! NICE WORK!

DoonRider
11-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Good job. She's a beauty.

robludwig
11-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Wow, nice work. Have you been collecting nos parts for years for these builds?

Rob

superman
11-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by robludwig
Wow, nice work. Have you been collecting nos parts for years for these builds?

Rob
Not really, just started contacting people I use to race the GNC MX Nationals with to see what they still had laying around, and did alot of searching on-line and even did some buy, sell, trade deals right here on this site!!

superman
11-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Makin some pretty good progress on my other 89' resto as well!!

dustinshuler
11-08-2011, 09:34 AM
The 89s look sweet! You know I have a soft spot for twins!

312R1
11-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Nicely done!!:cool:

wild250rman
11-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Looks great. Way to keep the "250R" alive. Hope you are gonna keep one a looker and one a runner.

superman
12-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Lexington Motorsports in Lexington, KY placed the 1st of my two 89' TRX 250Rs in their showroom floor over near their parts counter area about 2 weeks ago. I was finally home for the first time in awhile and got to go by and take some pics and talk with them since they displayed it. They said nearly every person that comes in to get atv parts talks about it, takes pics with it and asks tons of questions!! They actually had to print out a facts and spec sheet and place it on the seat!

superman
12-11-2011, 05:30 PM
I was also able to get the 2nd quad finished over the weekend as well!! It currently has a new chrome LRD pipe/silencer combo on it, but besides that it is 100% OEM original just like the other. I have another stock pipe but its not in that good of condition, but I'm working a deal with a guy on another good OEM pipe. Wanna get pics of the two together with myself and my son on them whenever we get a chance. I actually ripped this one up and down the field this morning!!:D

ah665
12-11-2011, 05:31 PM
That is awesome. Very cool with the 1 in the dealership too.

pantera1975
12-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Lexington Motorsports in Lexington, KY placed the 1st of my two 89' TRX 250Rs in their showroom floor over near their parts counter area about 2 weeks ago. I was finally home for the first time in awhile and got to go by and take some pics and talk with them since they displayed it. They said nearly every person that comes in to get atv parts talks about it, takes pics with it and asks tons of questions!! They actually had to print out a facts and spec sheet and place it on the seat!

Oh man that thing looks as modern as any of the new 4 wheelers out there and this one a 2 stroke.NICE JOB!!

pilotpete
12-12-2011, 02:35 AM
awesome work ,great looking bikes .....
did you find OEM decals?? or are they copy's?????

ky_savage
12-12-2011, 05:23 AM
A friend of mine sent me a pic of the one at Lexington Motorsports. I told him I know where that one came from. Haha. Looks awesome on the dealership floor.

superman
12-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by pilotpete
awesome work ,great looking bikes .....
did you find OEM decals?? or are they copy's?????
Some were new OEM decals and the rest I was able to get thru "ddrslap" who Troybilt and others have used on here and suggested, and I must say their decals are made of the correct material and side by side with OEM decals are very very hard to tell apart!!

ky_savage- Thanks man, I'm glad you liked it and I'm glad LMS put that bike on display for all to enjoy!! Thats what is all about is keeping the almighty 250R alive!!

ky_savage
12-12-2011, 10:31 PM
"ddrslap"

How can I get in touch with him?

aztecgwynn
12-14-2011, 10:52 PM
Restoring a 1988 TRX 250R myself, i know how difficult it is and can be to track down parts.
You have my upmost respect for rebuilding a dying breed of quad and the misfortune in finding everything you needed in order to complete your projects. And keep up the good work.

DoonRider
12-15-2011, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by ky_savage
How can I get in touch with him?

sanda97@comcast.net

He made a complete set for my 88.

superman
12-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Yeah I posted the contact info for "ddrslap" in that other thread where they were asking about oem decals, I figured he had seen it there already...

Skyman
12-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Superman... what an awesome rebuild! Some great twins you have there. Clean and done right.
Q: where did you find heel guards? Are they new oem or aftermarket remakes?

superman
12-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Skyman
Superman... what an awesome rebuild! Some great twins you have there. Clean and done right.
Q: where did you find heel guards? Are they new oem or aftermarket remakes?
One bike came with the heel guards on it, the other set I had to hunt down! Both are OEM. Thanks for the compliments!!

leager-n-ky
01-28-2012, 10:13 PM
I got to see # 2 in person today..... WOW !!!!! pic's do not do it justice, Very nice build, and great to meet you.

blacknblue#2
01-29-2012, 05:33 AM
beautiful quads man. What color red did you go with on the frames? im in the process of doing a restoration. Its not gonna be 100% oem but its kinda gonna have that old school budget mx racer look if that makes any sense haha (original lookin quad with MX tires, handlebars exhaust and all the basic mods anyone would do to one). But i wanted the frame to be back close to oem looking. My dad collects international tractors so we have an overload of IH red powder but im not sure how close it will be to the OEM color.

superman
01-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by leager-n-ky
I got to see # 2 in person today..... WOW !!!!! pic's do not do it justice, Very nice build, and great to meet you.
It was good to meet you and your family as well, look forward to seeing you guys back at the MX track soon!

As for the powder on the frames, I did a color match to the OEM red and came up with a PPG powder called Red 80. Good luck