PDA

View Full Version : Help flipping the Front rims!

BaD_250ex
02-25-2003, 10:03 AM
I cant get my front rims flipped. The Valve stem was hitting my brakes!! I was thinking about tearing it off, lol, jk. But I called the local Honda, and they said I have to buy new wheels and tires! Do u guys think they are just trying to sell me or what? Any ideas how to fix the problem?

remlapr
02-25-2003, 10:09 AM
Most of the guys on here don't recommend flipping your rims because it exposes the brakes and puts extra stress on the front tie rods and a-arms. At least that is what I have read in other post on this subject. Do a couple of searches and you will probably find lots of info on this in past threads.

BaD_250ex
02-25-2003, 11:35 AM
Ive heard I can get flat valve stems or shorty stems and just leave the stems on the inside. Do I have to take my tire off every time I need to air it up? And how do u put the valve stems on?

PhilMoore
02-25-2003, 11:41 AM
This how I did my wifes:
http://www.uslink.net/~philzie/fliprim.html

She does not do big jumps or ride very aggressively (I have a life insurance policy on her too..), so they are working just fine for her. I have taken some 3' air jumps on it, and I weigh about 210, with no problems.

If you ride hard, I guess I would not recommend flipping the stock rims, rather buy some offset rims from ITP or Douglas.

Because the stock rims have oversized holes and the tapered lug will not go in properly from the backside, you need to make sure everything is tight before your next ride. So far, they have never come loose, but like I said, Toni does not ride aggressively.

gojk
02-25-2003, 12:56 PM
I just flipped the valvestem inside out and drilled a hole on the other side for a valve stem on that side.

http://porter.eaznet.com/quad/2003_0222_154624AA.jpg

BaD_250ex
02-25-2003, 01:33 PM
Thats a sweet @$$ 400ex Gojk!! I just called my local powersports, and they said they will drill holes and do everything needed to tires for 65$. Is this a good deal?

AtvMxRider
02-25-2003, 01:44 PM
That's sounds high. You can get valve stems for a couple dollars. and all you have to do is break the bead on one side then drill the holes and install the valve stems.

gojk
02-25-2003, 05:12 PM
Ya, sounds high to me too. I did mine for like 5 bucks. But I do have a tire machine. But Wal-Mart will dismount and mount a tire for like 5 buck a peice. SO that is only like $15.

cdalejef
02-25-2003, 06:11 PM
So how do you center the wheel since the inserts for the tapered lug are on the wrong side?

Don't do this guys...its a bad idea!!! No, I'm not trying to sell you wheels!

BaD_250ex
02-25-2003, 07:25 PM
I dont have anything to drill holes, or anything though. And my parents are paying for it anyways.

Don't do this guys...its a bad idea!!! No, I'm not trying to sell you wheels!

Jeff what are u talking about, who said anything about selling wheels?

DirtDiggler
02-25-2003, 07:40 PM
I think he's just telling you it's not a sales pitch to get you to buy new wheels instead of flipping your rims.

Here is a question:

If I put Cannondale offset rims on my 400ex to make it a little wider would it make it handle bad? How much wider would it make it anways front and back?

toby400ex
02-25-2003, 07:42 PM
there isnt much of a gain, especially over the risks:confused2

DirtDiggler
02-25-2003, 07:45 PM
I thought it was a pretty decent gain in width like 2 or 3 inches but still not worth the risk imo.

gojk
02-25-2003, 09:49 PM
To center them I put the lugs on lightly with the taper going into the wheel, then I take the lugs off one at a time and turn them around so they don't cut into the wheel. Like they said, it isn't the best idea to do but I haven't broken anythign since I have done it about six month ago. Also compared to my brothers 400 it sits about 5 inches wider.

raptor_02
02-26-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by gojk
To center them I put the lugs on lightly with the taper going into the wheel, then I take the lugs off one at a time and turn them around so they don't cut into the wheel. Like they said, it isn't the best idea to do but I haven't broken anythign since I have done it about six month ago. Also compared to my brothers 400 it sits about 5 inches wider. i agree. I have flipped my wheels and I have had no problems with them. Tie Rods are still straight and a-arms are perfect. All I do is race mx and occasional trail ride. I have been more than 10 feet in the air and have never had any problems out of them. People sell Deep dish rims so I don't really see what the big deal is. I have did this to all my quads and really never have had any serious problems.

QuadTrix6
02-26-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by DirtDiggler
I thought it was a pretty decent gain in width like 2 or 3 inches but still not worth the risk imo.

your not really ganing those inches because theres a difference between the inches gained over a plused a arm to offset rims...i have a 2:3 offset now and theres a lot of bump steer and it hanlde like an ice cream truck don't bother man

BaD_250ex
02-27-2003, 05:48 AM
i have a 2:3 offset now and theres a lot of bump steer and it hanlde like an ice cream truck don't bother man

I havent driven an icecream truck.

QuadTrix6
02-27-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by BaD_250ex
I havent driven an icecream truck.

LMAO ok then they handle like a shopping cart :huh i assume you have seen one of those :confused: :blah

TravEX
02-27-2003, 08:26 PM
i fliiped mine, used flush mounted valve stems,,,no problems, love it,,,

TC17
02-28-2003, 01:27 AM
Hey,

I just did this with my 250ex. I took it to my local Honda dealer and they put a set of metal valve stems in backwards in the original holes and drilled new holes on the back side of the rim. It does expose the brakes a little more but so will wheel spacers. I picked up 2 1/4 inches on each side and it works great!

TC17
02-28-2003, 01:28 AM
Also, they charged me $25.00. Not bad!

BaD_250ex
02-28-2003, 11:11 AM
They charged you 25$. Did they just drill the holes and turn the valve stem inside out? or did they air it up and put the tire back together?

LMAO ok then they handle like a shopping cart i assume you have seen one of those

ya, my friends and I have dont jackass stuff in shopping carts, we slam into each other, and pull them behind out quads. lol And ummm, shopping carts dont have handlebars, so how do u know what they steer like?

QuadJunkies
03-06-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
So how do you center the wheel since the inserts for the tapered lug are on the wrong side?

Don't do this guys...its a bad idea!!! No, I'm not trying to sell you wheels! I agree. we went and had both of ours flipped last week, and ended up putting them bakc the way they were..The problem we had was the bolt and spacer on the rim didnt fit the same once they were rotated and even though it was ion tight, it wasnt a TIGHT fit,if that makes any sense, w/o seeing it, its hard to explain,but they are grooved different once you turn themand when flipped it was pushing the spacer out on the other side.. and once I looked at the way it was set up, I didnt like how they fit so I am going to just wait and do it the right way..;)

boogiechile
03-06-2003, 03:06 PM
I thought it might be good to post a copy of a reply I made to another thread about flipping rims here. so here it is

+++++++++++
Its about time to get some facts out on this thread. So I want to put in my cent and a half because I don't have 2 whole cents.

Many people have run reversed or heavy offset to the outside rims with no problems, but is not a good thing to do. I have done it myself and the bump steer is noticable. It will increase bump steer. It will not affect shock valving. It will put more stress on parts like tie rods spindles, bearings, ball joints, and puts some amount off additional stress on the upper a arm ( not the lower one).

Lets look at what happens and why.

It will not affect shock valving because the pivot points of the a arms are not changed. Therefore the motion(leverage) ratio stays the same. This means it will not bottom out any easier.

It will increase bump steer. bump steer is any thing that tries to steer the quad or transfer motion from the tire to you on bumps or through the motion of travel. When your suspension goes through its full range of travel the toe changes a good bit. This is one type of bump steer problem. Another type and what we are talking about here is the leverage the tire has against the handle bars. This increases with flipped or offset wheels because the Steering Axis Inclination (SAI) gets off. I have posted before somewhere describing what SAI is and I wont get into it deep now but basically the offset of the wheel has to put the center line off the tire and a line drawn between the upper and lower ball joint at the same intersection meeting at the ground. Stock rims do this and 4+1 rims are close. Offset rims move the wheel line out and the further out the worse. As the wheel moves out it gains leverage over the pivot (turning) of the ball joints and therefore ultimately against your bars. When hitting a bump the tire can snatch the bars against you much easier. Thats why so many people that use a steering damper love it. It you have 3+2 rims or flipped stock wheels you will love you damper even more because it is trying to compensate for the bump steer of a bad setup.

While the shock valving is not affected and it wont bottom easier, the added stress of the extra width is applied to the spindle, rim, ball joints and the upper a arm. fortunately in many cases these parts can handle the extra load but sometimes they can not and fail. If you go big you stand a better chance of failure.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-03-2003 09:10 PM