PDA

View Full Version : New motor build ?

bigdaddy77
10-07-2011, 08:47 PM
I'm starting to do a build on a Pitster. Looking to build a 125cc motor for motocross , cross country and trail riding. What lower end is every one running ? The RS or HO. The HO I'd the one that comes with klx style head stock and RS has the Honda style head.
I'm leaning towards the Takegawa head and possibly the cylinder also. Just not sold on the V2 head with the epoxy in the ports.
Any input would be great. If you guys can give me some insight on what your running , who your builder is . I would greatly appreciate it. I've dealt with Terry at firepower quite a bit with the 2'xtremes we have but this Pitster motor is a little different animal. Thank you. Also I want to run the decompression cam.

Ride1Rob
10-10-2011, 09:44 PM
The only difference between the Pitster and Xtreme engine is the stupid centrifugal clutch setup on the Xtreme. Other than that they're all basically the same concept.

miniquaddad90
10-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Im sure Terry can build it for u

quadnana7
10-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Another vote for Terry

bigdaddy77
10-11-2011, 04:49 PM
No doubt Terry can build it . It's just a matter of how long it will take. I don't know how long it takes u guys to get stuff from him. I don't want to bash the man but he has had a billet clutch of mine and a 54 mm piston on order for 2 months.
Have any of you guys ever dealt with Matt at Pitster?
Also what are you cross country guys doing for oil coolers? Thanks Brian

miniquaddad90
10-13-2011, 05:36 AM
sure Terry is a 1 man band so good things will take time, plan accordingly. We run a 400ex cooler with modded lines, cant beat it dollar for dollar.

quadnana7
10-19-2011, 11:15 AM
bigdaddy77
Sent you a pm

T@AFP
10-19-2011, 07:13 PM
I would have to agree.....Terry.
He built my daughters and sure we had some hiccups. But overall, he did a good job at a fair price.
Not sure if it can compete in mx with some of those two stroke 90's. But it's a heck of a lot faster than our Raptor 125.
However, we started running it in the GNCC and it seems to be competitive.
We'll just have to see the reliablity factor.

But just let Terry know you're in a hurry.

bigdaddy77
10-19-2011, 07:55 PM
I talked to Rob Riden. His son Randy runs the GNCC and other cross country series. He has been dealing with Matt at Pitster Pro. I think we are going to go with his combination of 125 HO motor and takegawa head. Not sure of hp numbers but it seems to be very durable. They do a little porting of the oil port in the head to help bath the head in oil. I'll keep you guys posted on how it runs . Thanks for all the input.

bigdaddy77
11-01-2011, 12:21 AM
Ended up picking up a Firepower motor. Just wanted to say thanks for all the input. Still might try the takegawa head on the next motor. What jetting are some of you guys running in the Midwest with the Mikuni VM 26 606 carb? Or what other carbs are some of you running?

miniquaddad90
11-01-2011, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by bigdaddy77
Ended up picking up a Firepower motor. Just wanted to say thanks for all the input. Still might try the takegawa head on the next motor. What jetting are some of you guys running in the Midwest with the Mikuni VM 26 606 carb? Or what other carbs are some of you running?

Aint no power like FIREPOWER!! :devil:

15 PILOT 150-160 MAIN FOR US

Ride1Rob
11-11-2011, 10:10 PM
LOL I was gonna tell you to save yourself with Pitster. I've tried to deal with them 3 x's in the past and every time I got shafted on parts. Was told parts where on the way and never recieved them. Just not good experiences on all 3 of my ordering experiences. Like said before, Terry (Firepower) does everything himself. When we dealt with him with Jam's old motor I also had to wait on some things. But I did realize he was doing everything himself and had other customers ligned up.

ValloneRaceTeam
04-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by bigdaddy77

Any update on this motor combo? Thinking we may try a 125 because where we race they race with the CR85 mod quads and they are fast but heard the combo can keep pretty close.

Thanks Frank

bigdaddy77
04-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Ok here is what we are running. Mx quad has a Pitster 125 lower end with a takegawa 4 valve head , cylinder and piston. Lifan adjustable stator. And Mikuni vm 26 carb jetted 22.5 pilot 155 main needle in middle position or possible second from bottom. Takegawa decomp cam sd 10/15. It has not been on the dyno yet but it rocks. Firepower built it and we are very happy. Having a stalling issue on tight left hand corners. We think it's a float level issue. The carb leans down toward cylinder pretty bad so here is what we are doing to hopefully solve this.
I have Joe at Titan Motorworks cutting the intake and rewelding it to level it. Going to change to a flat slide 24 mm carb and taper bore it. Then we are modifying the filter side to make a induction system to run a larger filter and increase air volocity into the motor. Hopefully we can get some before and after dyno numbers. Also we would like to incorporate a aluminum airbox for the xc and trailride guys.
I have a v2 motor in our practice quad and it is very strong too. Running basically same carb and cam.
Also for your guys info we are working on full netted nerfs with super strong footpegs . You need to do minor mods to the kick starter to get them to work. All this stuff should be available in the near future. If you guys have any ? Feel free to call or text me . 618-975-7303 thanks brian