PDA

View Full Version : new to the ltr's

EXinMB
10-06-2011, 03:13 PM
i got a used 06 ltr but no owner's manual, just wondering what the proper procedure is for checking oil and changing the oil. one guy confused me said i have to add to the tank and to the motor but its all one oil. im more familiar with hondas but this seemed very similar and very similar to the z400. anything special or just like any other quad.
anyone use those reusable stainless steel oil filters? any good? worth the money?

bigbad400
10-09-2011, 05:44 PM
u cant check the oil in the motor just the res tamk. drain it and fill it up..... same as anything else. it has a couple drains but not two fill spots. never used them filters but i use the k and ns and always have clean oil on oil change. i run blue oil so i can tell easy if its dirty. i use valvoline vr1 racing full synthetic 20w50. my quad runs perfect and its a 07 with no motor issues ever and i beat the **** out of it. ride 20+ hours a week. :D

89trx250r
10-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Yea i used to run a stainless filter on my yfz it works great anytime you change your oil you just spray it clean with brake cleaner or carb cleaner...worth the money imo...

Limited Z_400
10-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by EXinMB
i got a used 06 ltr but no owner's manual, just wondering what the proper procedure is for checking oil and changing the oil. one guy confused me said i have to add to the tank and to the motor but its all one oil. im more familiar with hondas but this seemed very similar and very similar to the z400. anything special or just like any other quad.
anyone use those reusable stainless steel oil filters? any good? worth the money?
To check your oil level:
start it let it idle for 3 minutes
turn it off and let it sit for 3 minutes check your level do not screw in dipstick when checking.
changing oil:
drain the tank,
drain the engine remove two lower crankcase bolts with copper washers.
removing the skid plate helps
Do not over torque the plugs.
oil tank bolt 8.5 foot pounds
crankcase bolts 13 foot pounds

09RappySe
10-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Limited Z_400
To check your oil level:
start it let it idle for 3 minutes
turn it off and let it sit for 3 minutes check your level do not screw in dipstick when checking.
changing oil:
drain the tank,
drain the engine remove two lower crankcase bolts with copper washers.
removing the skid plate helps
Do not over torque the plugs.
oil tank bolt 8.5 foot pounds
crankcase bolts 13 foot pounds

You forgot to use a few choice words while removing the case bolts, which are nothing but big set screws...... I hate working on my LTR, good thing it does not break much.:D