PDA

View Full Version : good 2 stroke engine builder for MX - can he get new cases

quadfmx
10-06-2011, 06:58 AM
Considering
Duncan or LED,

But one thing i want is i see where people send there entire engine off to get worked and it comes back like a wrinkle black pc'd all over. I plan to put some hinson clutch covers on t etc but i want this done,

does this mean everything inside the case has to be taken out nand then sent to a pc guy who can pc items with high heat, and then the builder re-assemble my engine,

I dont have a problem with that as i want everything checked,
Im planning on going with yukon gears actually i had decided to go with the pc2000 engine from duncan unleaa someones says hey go LED go with loren or,
Im fairly new to 2 strokes ived just always wanted a duncan ppe and a national PC2000 engine but if there is something better out ther id tather do that i mean ive just read articles on duncan and grew a fondness for it over the years,

so any help i appreciated.

btw
this is going in a brand new Walsh bike, new everything, Ive wanted to build an R for a long time and i finally get to so please give me some advice on the engine,

Currently I plan on building it as a MX bike but ive always been an XC guy and have thought bout building it XC but i got 2 XC 450R's to do that with, so i was just going to get some 450R sjhock and start runnning it GNCC snd Mid South and just keep the 250 o the track,

Ive got xtra 450R brakes etc to go on the 250R so it will have best of old and new

Motofool250r
10-06-2011, 08:01 AM
LED is the only shop you mentioned i would consider sending it to.

but my top choices would be in order of customer service Hybrid engineering Camas WA(owner Pete Schlumberger 360-281-2274), Then BDT, Mccoys performance, Dennis Packard, Titan racing i could continue before id recommend Duncan or CT

CT and Duncan will over charge you and the customer service is generally not so great.

i cannot find a person who can say that about Hybrid, and none that i know of about BDT.

Now onto the powdercaoting question, the engine builder all will have their choice PC guy to do the cases, but when you powder coat the cases a weak point becomes the crank bearing journal so a while later(eventually) you will have to repair this area.

hinson doesn't make the quick change covers anymore, but there are others that do and you can find them used. (all these covers are modified stock covers sent off for machine work about 550$ new)

ESR also has a brand new cover with quick change under 400$

The PC2000 topend is a good one but a bit overpriced. are you goingto race this bike ina class or is the cc size open to discussion? if so a 330Prox jug or small PUMA will be an awesome addition to the walsh chassis. i run a 443cc PUMA jug with a 6mm stroke a bit much for mx though =)

the people that make the best engines for these quads are generally only spoken about by word of mouth or small advertising.

there are acouple forums dedicated to only 250r's that are worth looking into also the atv drag racing sites generally the engine builders frequent.

ive had 3 different motor builders over the years and i wont be changing mine anytime soon answer the phone when you need him to always topnotch work and long lasting.

Motofool250r
10-06-2011, 08:07 AM
and to your thread title new cases from honda are not available.

two companies are making cases but not yet complete ESR and BDT

89trx250r
10-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Id call Carlos at BDT motorsports hes a great guy to work with and very helpful will build you whatever type of motor you'd like...From what Ive heard LED will over charge you cause Arlen has a "god complex" and thinks hes the best ever...

hontrx265r
10-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Halls precision performance.

atv fan 28
10-06-2011, 07:23 PM
I like Titan Racing and C-Leigh Racing. But in my opinion you need to choose a motor builder on what type of riding you are planning on doing.

Im not saying Titan, Hybrid, Packard or McCoy couldnt build a XC motor, but i think they mainly focus on drag.

I think Neil would be a great choice if you wanted a lowend grunt motor.

cdrookie
10-07-2011, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by atv fan 28
I like Titan Racing and C-Leigh Racing. But in my opinion you need to choose a motor builder on what type of riding you are planning on doing.

Im not saying Titan, Hybrid, Packard or McCoy couldnt build a XC motor, but i think they mainly focus on drag.

I think Neil would be a great choice if you wanted a lowend grunt motor.

wer dat^^^^

Thornfold
10-09-2011, 03:03 PM
x3 on bdt motorsports carlos, have had 3-4 builbers last 12 years, fastest 250r I have seen in mx & owned are carlos bdtm.