PDA

View Full Version : What is the purpose of bearing carriers?

Cole
02-25-2003, 09:21 AM
What do they do? Is it worth getting an aftermarket carrier?

03GNCC270
02-25-2003, 09:33 AM
THE BEARING CARRIER IS WHAT YOUR AXLE SPINS IN. IF YOU DO GET ONE THE DOUBLE ROW OR THE TAPERED CARRIERS ARE ALOT EASIER ON THE BEARINGS. YOU WILL NOT WEAR THEM OUT AS FAST.

GT300
02-25-2003, 09:44 AM
If you get an aftermarket bearing carrier, buy one with a built in grease zerk. It will make things a lot easier.

GT300
02-25-2003, 09:44 AM
If you get an aftermarket bearing carrier, buy one with a built in grease zerk. It will make things a lot easier.

Cole
02-25-2003, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the info. Are the aftermarket ones alot better than stock. Whats the purpose of the aftermarket ones? Do they put less restriction on the axle compared to the stock one? If I get an aftermarket swingarm, then I will HAVE to replace the carrier, right?

CBW
02-25-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Cole
If I get an aftermarket swingarm, then I will HAVE to replace the carrier, right?

No you dont have to replace the stock carrier,,,,,,,,,,but if the bearings are bad or even questionable in the stock carrier the bearings can be replaced,,,,and even a hole drilled to put a grease zerk in. BUT,,,,,,,,,,the best route in the long run is to replace the carrier with and aftermarket that runs double row or tapered bearings that will last longer when maintained and serviced correctly

RiPPiNiTuP7
02-25-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Cole
Thanks for the info. Are the aftermarket ones alot better than stock. Whats the purpose of the aftermarket ones? Do they put less restriction on the axle compared to the stock one? If I get an aftermarket swingarm, then I will HAVE to replace the carrier, right?

Aftermarket ones are alot better than stock, they can put up with more abuse, and they last much longer. If you decide to get a new swingarm, your stock carrier will work just fine, and if you decide to upgrade the carrier, the aftermarket one will work in the new swingarm as well.

PhilMoore
02-25-2003, 11:36 AM
I have a RAD tapered carrier in my Banshee, and I think it is awesome. I have never had to adjust it.

I have a Lonestar twinrow in my ATC250R, and it works fine.

I just got a HELM's twinrow carrier for my TRX250R, but I have not used it yet. It was lower cost than the others from www.atvbushings.com It looks like a good heavy duty unit.

The only reason I changed carriers is because the stock ones were broken. The Banshee I changed because I wanted the tapered system to try it. That is all.

I would not change the carrier, unless it is damaged or you want a tapered one.

intruder
02-25-2003, 11:40 AM
Get the tapered carrier it will last much longer even the twin row don't hold up there not meant to with stand the pressures the rear axle puts on it.

JD400exrider
02-25-2003, 07:32 PM
The bearing carriers i have been looking at have the zirk or zirt fitting, do you need to drill a hole in the swing arm to access this fitting ? I thought a saw a picture of one that had it on the side. Is this the Rad one? What are you guys doing with the stock swing arm to access the zirt fitting.

2000 400 ex
CHM pipe, CHM Air Scoops, Mussle Steering Dampner, Uni Filter, EHS modified Air Box Cover, Razors Rears Holeshot Fronts, CHM Brake Block Off, MSR Clutch Perch, Works Frame Guards, DG Bumper, Full Skid Plates, 15 tooth Front, 39 Tooth Rear, DID X Ring, Nacs Light Covers (No Stickers), Nacs Foot peg Extenders, Renthal bars, Pro Design Shifter.

Coming Soon Front Shocks

toby400ex
02-25-2003, 07:39 PM
i dont know if many people actually drill holes in their swingarm for the zerk, but some aftermarket swinarms have some way of doing stuff:confused:

02-26-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by intruder
Get the tapered carrier it will last much longer even the twin row don't hold up there not meant to with stand the pressures the rear axle puts on it.

If you always run stock gearing or actually never change your gearing that's the way to go....

I change my front and rear sprockets all the time and you don't get the adjustablity from a tapered like you do a twin row carrier..
The reason for this is because the tapered bearings are so much larger...

intruder
02-26-2003, 08:16 AM
Drill a hole in the swing arm it makes things so much easier. It doesn't affect the swingarm but you do have to remove the brake to get the zerk to line up with the hole.

TRX300X
02-26-2003, 08:18 AM
I've got the RAD dual row carrier on my X and I have had no problems. Just keep it greased and you'll be a happy camper.