PDA

View Full Version : striped bolt!!!!!

01boneless
10-05-2011, 02:43 PM
so the drain bolt on the bottom of my motor is striped out becuase someone forced the wrong size bolt in it :mad: so can i just go get the next size bolt and tap it out to that?

01boneless
10-05-2011, 04:25 PM
bump?

Pacheco_450r
10-05-2011, 04:30 PM
I had the same problem since I bought my bike used. I tapped it the next size and put a bigger bolt and it worked just fine.

chronicsmoke
10-05-2011, 05:10 PM
dude, you honestly have THE WORST luck out of anybody on here.

01boneless
10-05-2011, 06:04 PM
no s*** so chronic how would you sugest gettin it out lol?

01boneless
10-05-2011, 06:05 PM
^^ never mind m thinking of the exaust stud thread lol

chronicsmoke
10-06-2011, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by 01boneless
no s*** so chronic how would you sugest gettin it out lol?

JB Weld right over the hole :D My brother actually did that to the 250 Recon that my dad has. You just can't change the oil very easily :devil:. He ran that thing out of oil (lost the drain plug), seized it, started it back up with no oil, and drove it 4 miles back home. (That's actually happened twice!)

But like Pacheco said, tap to the next size..

I'd weld a nut on your exhaust stud and use the candle wax trick, just the heat from welding will heat up that bolt. You'll still need a torch..
I don't get along with vice grips all that often.. too many bloody knuckles.

finsteratv
10-06-2011, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
JB Weld right over the hole :D My brother actually did that to the 250 Recon that my dad has. You just can't change the oil very easily :devil:. He ran that thing out of oil (lost the drain plug), seized it, started it back up with no oil, and drove it 4 miles back home. (That's actually happened twice!)

But like Pacheco said, tap to the next size..

I'd weld a nut on your exhaust stud and use the candle wax trick, just the heat from welding will heat up that bolt. You'll still need a torch..
I don't get along with vice grips all that often.. too many bloody knuckles. x2 and boneless i've stripped and broken some bolts..i learned penetating lube and patience is good stuff hhaha