PDA

View Full Version : broke studs :(

01boneless
10-04-2011, 08:04 PM
ok so i got to exaust studs broke off on my quad. now there is still like 2 inches sticking out what would be a good way to remove? when i lock vise grips on them they just slip around it of corse my vice grips are off brands but idk. could i take a new stud and weld it to the old stud? or weld a old wrench to them and turn them out?

CJM
10-04-2011, 08:11 PM
This for your new 450r :blah:

Do this:
1. Get a mapp gas torch, mapp gas burners hotter than propane, propane will work tho.

2. Get some real vise grips and make them suckers tight on on the stud. It should take considerable effort to close them on the stud. MAKE SURE they are the flat jaw type, the grip better.

3. Get a candle (yes, a wax candle).

Lock the vise grips on there, TIGHT. Then heat up the stud/area. Watch out the vise grips might get hot!. After heating it up take the candle and put it on the stud as close to the threads as you can. Then, TIGHTEN the stud a bit, working it slowly, then go back and forth tightening it and loosening it.

Failing that a stud extractor might work or you get to do what I did and redo the stud area after drilling it out.

01boneless
10-04-2011, 08:19 PM
lol yup silly me not dad it has a small leak let me tighten it corr SNAP!!! lol

makes sence but what the h*** is the candel for lol i dont get it maybe im just simple lol?

dxcody
10-04-2011, 08:31 PM
jes o pete! You have worse luck with wheelers than i do!

01boneless
10-04-2011, 08:34 PM
IKR!!!! i cant win for losin ! so cjm what is the candels perpose?

dxcody
10-04-2011, 08:50 PM
This actually happened to me on my 300. PB blaster and put two small nuts on the stud (if yours is still long enough and the threads arent too rough) and locked them together and she came out.

The wax melts and penetrates the entire bolt and has worked very well multiple times. Its a commonly used trick. My grandpa actually taught me on a stuck exhaust bolt on his old mustang.

DirtyBirdRacing
10-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Just takeing a guess at this. cause im kinda as lost as u are, But maybe to keep the studs lubed/Waxed up when you are putting the studs in and out takeing turns and beingcareful not to put to much pressure one way or another.... Maybe?

Sucks to hear this happend to you.

01boneless
10-04-2011, 08:53 PM
dang that does make sence tyats a awsome trick lol and cody ya i dont have enough threads to get 2 nut on :(

dxcody
10-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Using Wax and Heat. The heating and candle application may have to be repeated a couple times. This works on the same principle as "sweat-soldering" copper pipes, and will work where penetrating oil will not. (Always use care when and where you apply heat). In the absence of beeswax, Chapstick works well

chronicsmoke
10-04-2011, 09:28 PM
if you can grab it with vice grips, you're not in too bad. If the vice grips dont work, get your g-pa to weld a nut on the stud.

Stickman400
10-04-2011, 10:10 PM
I'd try the candle method. If that don't work then just weld an old wrench or another nut to the end of it and then loosen it using that.

AtvKid4Eva
10-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Once the headr heats up and cools a bunch of times those studs damn near weld themselves in there. On my brothers 400 we put brand new studs in, started it up let it warm up and then when we went to take the pipe back off they broke! I got three to come out with an acetylene torch, nothing else would work. the 4th one WOULD NOT COME OUT! the machine shop tried also and no luck. I ended up cutting it flush with the head and re drilling and tapping for a new stud. Of course i had to tear the whole motor back down for this :mad: