PDA

View Full Version : rear shock

87HONDATRX250X
10-04-2011, 05:56 PM
I race mx and need to do something for my rear set up. Can i run an aftermarket rear shock with my stock swing arm or does all that the need to be switched out? Might be my last year racing this before a 450 so if i can do this with out hurting the bank that would be sweet!

01boneless
10-04-2011, 06:01 PM
dont buy a aftermarket shock send yours to gt thunder and tell them what your weight and your current setup and they will revalve and re spring for what you like and they also sell a mx link so your shock can make full travel its a good investment and dont be in a hurry to get a r because i just got one and I belive my 400ex can take it on the track and the kickstart can be a pita but dont get me wrong i love it way more than my ex but im sayin dont be in a big hurry to get one tho it is pretty peppy and fast!!

87HONDATRX250X
10-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
dont buy a aftermarket shock send yours to gt thunder and tell them what your weight and your current setup and they will revalve and re spring for what you like and they also sell a mx link so your shock can make full travel its a good investment and dont be in a hurry to get a r because i just got one and I belive my 400ex can take it on the track and the kickstart can be a pita but dont get me wrong i love it way more than my ex but im sayin dont be in a big hurry to get one tho it is pretty peppy and fast!!

id like to do that but up here in Canada, i have no idea where to send it. Shipping is crazy ive found for parts to and from Canada and the States. Shock linkage work with stock swinger?

CJM
10-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Linkage will lower the quad approx 2 inches and is set up for 18" tires (they also sell an XC linkage for 20" tires too).

It adds travel with a stock shock but of course a redone shocks better.

You also must run a skidplate that has a hole in it to allow the linkage to go down further.

Also need to push out the battery box slightly, move the airbox up a 1/2" and something else im forgetting.

OR

BUy a + 1.25 swinger for an EX and redo the shock (the linkage and redone shocks cheaper).

dxcody
10-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Other forms of shock revalving that may be a little cheaper than GTT is JET, or RocketRon. I dont know if rocketron is any cheaper but i do know that nick told me he is USUALLY cheaper then GTT.

There was a post about the rear shock not long ago and if i remember right, JET told the thread starter he said that when you start getting up to around 200+ lbs riders that the dual rate doesnt perform as good because its alot harder to get it set right and not be to stiff or soft and sit way to low in the sag.. Thats if i remember right. (odds arent in my favor)

If you have GTT rebuild the shock then you have to buy the mx (or XC) linkage because they revalve it to that specific link.

Jet will rebuild it to the stock link i believe but he will reccomend the gtt link.

87HONDATRX250X
10-04-2011, 06:55 PM
alright ill have to do some pricing around i guess. I weigh around 140lbs. Is any one selling a rear shock and link by any chance? Ive looked in the classifieds but haven't been able to find really any thing.