PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Headers?

DirtyBirdRacing
10-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Ok, Well I was looking at getting my stock headers sent out for chrome but im thinking of going more of a Aftermarket header. I was looking at a few on Ebay such as,

Ebay Item number: 250121502715
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p185/lord-inuruku/Header1.jpg
OR

Ebay Item number: 380367801644
Kinda iffy about the s#***y looking welds.. have to ask if it comes that way..
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p185/lord-inuruku/Header2.jpg

Does anyone know of any other good Aftermarket Headers I dont want a full exhaust system cause I want to use a Two brothers M.7 Slip on so the header needs to Fits all stock or aftermarket slip-on's that would go on to the stock head pipe

pballer12
10-04-2011, 04:53 PM
I have an Hmf slip on and am looking for headers too what do u have done to ur 400so far?

DirtyBirdRacing
10-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by pballer12
I have an Hmf slip on and am looking for headers too what do u have done to ur 400so far?

Thinking you are talking about motor wise, Nothing, I have a Sparkes key sitting waiting to go in, Im Going to buy a HC Stage 1 and in stall that in a about 2 months.
i know as of now im not going to get very much gain from a aftermarket header but if I was going to put out the $100+ to send my stock header out to get chromed I might as well go all the way now and just pick up a Bigger one and save my self some money down the road for when I start playing with the motor more.

The header from ATV galaxey says it will fit any slip on that would go on the stock header, so it might be a good choice but im a little worried about those welds.. (they just look real bad lol) I messaged them asking if thats exactly how it comes, If they could send me better pictures, and if the pipe comes with those welds looking like that.

pballer12
10-04-2011, 05:23 PM
I got ya..any reason your picking the stage 1 instead of 2?

DirtyBirdRacing
10-04-2011, 05:28 PM
hmm, Not really I was looking to gain power but trying not to loose any somewhere else in the power range, I figured if I went any higher than a stage 1 i would lose some of my bottom end and i really didnt want that. ( If any one knows im wrong please let me know :P) and by going more bottom end I really wouldnt lose any of the top.

pballer12
10-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Do you plan on doing a piston or anything In the future?

DirtyBirdRacing
10-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Havent really planed on doing it while my motor is good and running when the motor goes bad then I plan on Port, Polish, And bore it out to a 416 most likely when im doing that ill likely up grade the HC as well.

CJM
10-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Dont bother.

Take the headers off yours and get a die grinder and grind the hell out of the insides of the pipe right at the end where it bolts to the head.

The pipe design cant get much better on an EX.

Spend your money elsewhere-like suspension or motor work-which will actually give you more power besides the maybe .5-1hp at best the header woud give.

kt1148
10-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Here's a link to exactly what I did.(actually a buddy did it with his die grinder)http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=445008&highlight=grind+header+welds

DirtyBirdRacing
10-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Dont bother.

Take the headers off yours and get a die grinder and grind the hell out of the insides of the pipe right at the end where it bolts to the head.

The pipe design cant get much better on an EX.

Spend your money elsewhere-like suspension or motor work-which will actually give you more power besides the maybe .5-1hp at best the header woud give.

I just picked up a set of 450R shocks that have only 5 hours on them, Im not going to get them re done till i ride them for a while ( didnt really mind the stock shocks so they should be fine i think)

im not really intrested in going ito far in the motor yet, it still runs just fine and wasnt planning on going past the +6 Key & HC 1 I was thinking of gringing the hell out of the stock header if i kept that one and then sending it out to get chrome, I was asking around for priceing and people were telling me $100+ to get that done. do you know if this is around the correct amount to get something chromed iv never sent anything out for that before. and well if it was that high I was thinking of just up gradeing it, Is there really anything else motor wise I could do with out going that far in to it?

DirtyBirdRacing
10-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by kt1148
Here's a link to exactly what I did.(actually a buddy did it with his die grinder)http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=445008&highlight=grind+header+welds

Thanks for this I will def use this as a guide If i decide to just keep my stock ones.

cheater13
10-05-2011, 06:27 AM
I would recommend the powerbomb header. It has a good increase in power but i have an old Titanium 4 exhaust with it.

pballer12
10-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Does the power bomb header make your bike quieter?

DirtyBirdRacing
10-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Does the power bomb header make your bike quieter?

It says it does in the Ebay add dont know how much though.

"The Power Bomb is a "pre muffler" of sorts, which helps to lower the bikes sound output because it provides more sound absorbing surface area to allow the exhaust gases to become absorbed. "

cheater13
10-05-2011, 11:34 AM
I wouldnt say it makes it quieter because i get complaints but it just might be my old exhaust setup haha. It still sounds real nice though.

DirtyBirdRacing
10-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Yeah I would think that it would take away some of the noise but give it more of a good, deep sound.

pballer12
10-05-2011, 12:13 PM
What kind of header should I get of I want the best for power. Noise doesn't bother me

powerbomb400
10-05-2011, 02:06 PM
If you will notice alot of the motorcross racers run the megabomb header. The first header to come out was the powerbomb then they came out with the megabomb header. They just don't make a megabomb for the 400ex.

pballer12
10-06-2011, 12:55 AM
Yeah I have a 400ex and I don't really want to get the megabomb any other suggestions?

powerbomb400
10-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Since the 400 has two exhaust cambers about the only things you can look for is the bends in the pipe that will give you max. flow and the diameter of the pipe. I run the powerbomb header and it gives excellent exhaust flow. Faster the air in ,Faster the exhaust out,faster you go!

400exrider707
10-06-2011, 01:35 PM
The hot setup used to be the old LRD headers with a TC shorty pipe attached to it. Of course since noise is a concern now, that setup is long gone. Any aftermarket header will probably outflow the stock unit, but it's probably not anything you're really going to notice either way. I'd put one on just because the stocker usually looks pretty ugly after a few mud runs. FMF has been around forever, their products are proven.

I used to have an older Ti-4 on my 400 back when I had it. Ended up using it on my 450R later too as a slip on until I got a full system. I liked it.

Honestly HMF makes a nice affordable setup I think. One of the best IMO.

pballer12
10-06-2011, 04:14 PM
You have the power bomb on ur 400ex? I read some reviews that it made the bike quiter and less power?

DirtyBirdRacing
10-06-2011, 05:41 PM
You have the power bomb on ur 400ex? I read some reviews that it made the bike quiter and less power?

Less power? I dont see how thats possible I dont know anything for sure but they let more air out, So with the air box open, More air in, More air out, = More power

TAKEN FROM FMFRACING.COM

FMF Stainless Steel PowerBomb Header

On the track having a power advantage over the competition usually means the difference between victory and defeat. Our PowerBomb header provides major horsepower gains by way of patented pre-muffler technology and the precise placement of the “BOMB” ensures that your getting the most out of your engine without sacrificing sound output. The edge you need has never been closer.

- Boosts horsepower by as much as 10%
- Patented technology (Patent #7510050)
- A perfect fit with any FMF muffler-----(fits any pipe that would bolt to the stock headers)
- Quality construction for maximum durability
- Reduces sound output by as much as 1.5 dB
- Choose from stainless steel or titanium

pballer12
10-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Alright thanks..what do u have done to ur bike and did it quiet it at all

DirtyBirdRacing
10-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Alright thanks..what do u have done to ur bike and did it quiet it at all

If you are asking me, I have nothing done to mine yet, It is layin in pices on the floor lol, ( 2nd page has a pic of how it sits now ) http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=455252

But I have a +6 timming key sitting waiting to go on when I start working on it again, (planning on doing a HC stage 1 in a month or 2 ) Im getting a two brothers slip on exhaust in about 3 weeks ( buying a bolt kit right now) and then im buying the FMF Powerbomb header, I dont think its relly going to make it likr really really quite, all the videos on Youtube all still to sound pretty loud.