PDA

View Full Version : ball joint install

eazyrider111
10-04-2011, 11:50 AM
So I went and got some A-arms and shocks and I finally got it all together and i realized that one of the lower ball joints wont seat? I tried tighting the castle nut but the bolt keeps spining with every turn. I have tried a couple different things and now im ready for some advice. Any thoughts? I might try to use a C clamp to compress it in but Im not sure if thats the easiest way to go?

tanman11
10-04-2011, 04:35 PM
I'm pretty sure the lower ball joint has the 14mm notch, just slide back the grease boot. It should be there. The upper one is the PITA, just grab it with a good channel lock, and drive the nut on it.

D Bergstrom
10-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Get the quad totally back together with the tires on the ground. Push down on the front bumper to compress the front suspension some, this will bind up the joint and allow you to tighten the nut without the shaft spinning. Sometimes they get stubborn, so you may have to really compress the front suspension, another person sometimes helps.

Doug

eazyrider111
10-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. i finally got it with a little bit of elbow grease and patients. I will post pics once I get the brake lines added.