PDA

View Full Version : Not idling when choke in

Alain
10-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Please assist. I have a 2006 450er which has seen very little use and the engine exhaust etc is entirely stock. It was last ridden last year but has been started approximately every 3 months.

I now have the time to ride again but this time it did not start. I took the battery out and charged it up - it started perfectly but does not idle when I press the choke back in. I have since drained the tank, replaced the fuel and cleaned parts of the carb. Just to elaborate - I removed the float bowl and 4 jets cleaned with compressed air and replaced. I also removed and cleaned the other jet on the air cleaner side. I removed the choke and blew compressed air through all theaccesable passageways. The air filter is brand new as is the sparkplug.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks
Alain

Ruf Racing
10-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Sounds like you may still have a dirty pilot circuit. You need to blow carb cleaner through all those passages. It will help eat up any gummed deposits. Try adjusting the fuel screw out, a little bit. Good luck.

Alain
10-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will give this a try tomorrow and let you know if we have success.

Thanks
Alain

Ruf Racing
10-05-2011, 07:46 AM
No problem. ;) What kind of riding areas, do you have at the Cape?

quad2xtreme
10-05-2011, 09:19 AM
I wondered if the fuel screw was still in there. Seems like I remember mine running with the choke out but would stall immediately when I put it in. The issue was my fuel screw fell out somewhere on the track.

Alain
10-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Tried the carb cleaner this evening. I took the bottom section of the carb off, removed the jets and sprayed every passage possible. Left it for about half an hour and sprayed out with compressed air again. Reassembled and still the problem persists.

I did check that the "d" fuel screw was still there which it was. I didn't remove it as I do not wish to change any of the settings. It ran perfectly before standing so I am sure it should be something simple.

We have quite a variety of riding in the Cape from huge sand dunes, mx tracks and really rocky sections in the mountain areas. Sadly I stopped racing a few years ago when my son was born and have only used the quad a few times since then. It is in absolute mint condition (apart from it not running properly now) and seems such a waste.

Thanks for all the advice so far.
Alain

DnB_racing
10-05-2011, 04:52 PM
I still think its a dirty carb..you must have missed something, like ruf said it sounds like the pilot circuit,,,,

I would take it off and clean again..and make sure you have all the old gas drained out of the tank and all lines completely

quad2xtreme
10-05-2011, 06:46 PM
I'd be careful and take the D screw out too. There isn't any magic to it. Just count the turns in until it lightly stops at the bottom and then turn it back out that far when you reinstall it. Let us know how many turns it took to seat at the bottom (just don't turn it hard...when you feel resistance at the bottom, stop.

Alain
10-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I took the "d" fuel screw out and sprayed the circuit put back together and it all seems to run smoother now. I wasn't able to check on the original number of turns that the screw was out but it is now about 2 1/4 out. I hope this is about right. I will try and go for a ride on the weekend and see.

Thanks again

quad2xtreme
10-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Alain
Thanks for all the advice. I took the "d" fuel screw out and sprayed the circuit put back together and it all seems to run smoother now. I wasn't able to check on the original number of turns that the screw was out but it is now about 2 1/4 out. I hope this is about right. I will try and go for a ride on the weekend and see.

Thanks again

that sounds correct. it is real close anyhow. I can check the manual for what the original stock setting was.