View Full Version : got a ? about my friends 400ex, stuck snapped bolt

BuDDy L
10-04-2011, 10:01 AM
he tried to locktite it in and misthreaded the longer bolt. about a half of inch of it is stuck in the motor. Best way to get it out lol before he kills someone.

edit: my fault, the oil filter cover bolt, the right side one

rayman375
10-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Use an easy out. Or a craftsman extractor bit.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952157000P?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7

eazyrider111
10-04-2011, 12:00 PM
This may or may not help. I have had the same situation with a long bolt. because its a long bolt an eazy out may snap the bolt and leave you in an even worse situation. depending on the grade of locktight you may need to heat up the bolt around the oil cover. Be careful though because it is aluminium and u dont want to use alot of heat just enought to break the grip of the lock tight. ( I believe the red lock tight needs to be heated to loosen) Take a pair of vice grips and place it at the base of the bolt and brake it loose. It will ruin the bolt but you will get it out. Also if your buddy cross threaded the case it may need to be taped and threaded again. good luck I hope this advice comes in handy.

89trx250r
10-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Yes whatever you attempt DO NOT BREAK THE EZ OUT tip off inside the bolt cause it makes it 15x worse! I know from experience my friend snapped off his foot-peg bolt well he thought hes a pro extractor... till he broke the tip off inside the bolt and my dad had to get it out before the kid started crying...

BuDDy L
10-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Sorry for not including this, the bolt snapped with one turn, a piece is stuck in the motor, a half inch.

wilkin250r
10-04-2011, 10:19 PM
The bolt has already snapped off? The longer one?

If I'm not mistaken, that bolt goes all the way through the crankcase cover and threads into the case itself. At a minimum, you're pulling the right side cover.

If you're lucky, you can get a hold on whatever bolt is left and get it out. If you're REALLY lucky, you only have to clean up a few threads in the bolt hole with a thread chaser, and there are still enough threads left to grab on to further in. If you're unlucky, all the threads are messed up and you'll have to drill and helicoil it.

If you're REALLY unlucky, there isn't enough sticking out to get a hold after you remove the crankcase cover, and you have to drill out the remaining bolt.

eazyrider111
10-05-2011, 10:20 PM
That sucks man I did the same thing on my TRX450R tried to torque it down with someone elses torque wrench. word of advice If you borrow tools make sure they are working properly. Cost me about 150 bucks to get it fixed. good luck man if anything have a professional look at it.