PDA

View Full Version : What exhaust should I buy?

Rohr397
10-04-2011, 09:59 AM
So I just bought a fully modified 400ex for motocross racing but I've run into an issue. It has a custom exhaust pipe (supposedly built by Ron Woods) on it that looks like an HMF pipe only the can is about half the diameter of an HMF. I plan to use it for racing and practice because the pipe makes a ton of power. However, it is also the loudest exhaust I've ever heard. It is louder then both DASA and Curtis Sparks exhausts. The problem is that I like to ride at Sand Lake and the rest of the Oregon dunes where they've decided the dB limit should now be 93dB. I am going to have to buy something for the dunes to be legal and I am wondering what's the best pipe for the money. Also my headpipe is currently stock and I wanted to know what the best headpipe for a 400ex would be.

400exrip
10-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Curtis Sparks will make about the best power for the 400ex, if noise is an issue they have a big core that is very loud and is best for racing, And then they have the standard core that is not that loud.

But if you have a noise limit where you ride, get the standard core Curtis Sparks

The difference is in the core and end cap of the pipe I think the Big Core measures like 2 1/2 in and the standard core measures like 2 in.

01boneless
10-04-2011, 12:37 PM
well well well austin rohr riding a 400ex and you yelled at me when i got one lol a stock head pipe with a fmf silencer is pretty qquite or a lexx also make a new youtube vid i now have a 450r :D

dxcody
10-04-2011, 01:05 PM
i personally like the FMF, aftermarket exhausts are overrated by everyone saying they increase all this HP and what not. They really dont, the biggest difference is that you can hear the power your motor is producing.

HMF - Deepest sound
FMF - great all around IMO
CS - Best for the 400ex (from what i have heard, i had one on my old 416 and loved the way it sounded)

those are the top 3 in my book. I think HMF is the loudest of the 3 unless you get to CP shorty or whatever its called.

Put a post in the classified saying what you want, you may come across a member selling something you want pretty cheap. I have NEVER felt like i overpaid for anything i got off here.

They are all overpriced tho.

01 400EXer
10-04-2011, 02:22 PM
I have an HMF slip on I am thinking about selling if you would be interested in it. This is it on the bike.

DirtyBirdRacing
10-04-2011, 02:53 PM
If you just looking for a slip on You should check out 2Brothers ^.^ I havent herd them on a 400 personaly, but On a street and trail motorcycle, Crotch rocket, and my buddys warrior 350 they all have deep and simi loud sound not redic loud, but enough that you know its there, they also sell quite cores for them.

powerbomb400
10-04-2011, 03:25 PM
I have the FMF Powerbomb header and the 2 Brothers silencer. The header drops the noise by 1 or 2 decibels. The 2 Brothers silencer has a low deep sound and also seems to help give it more low end grunt. I did have the Titaium 4 on it and it was louder and seem to extend the mid range with that silencer. With type of riding I do I like the 2 Brother better.

Rohr397
10-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Yeah but boneless, this isn't just ANY 400ex ;) in all seriousness though it's not. It's got tons of power and suspension upgrades. It handles like a dream and because the pro link linkage is eliminated it doesn't buck like a honda either. This quad is super sweet.

So what headers would improve top speed a little more?

01boneless
10-04-2011, 03:35 PM
yeah it does sound like it has a d*** good setup i miss my 400 and your not gonna notice top speed much until you get into the motor cams piston stuff like that.

01boneless
10-04-2011, 03:36 PM
ohh and toss the k&n filter and get a uni the k&n will trash your motor!!

Rohr397
10-04-2011, 04:08 PM
I've tried two brothers before, actually was sponsored for a little while. They're okay pipes, not my favorite but I can't complain either. I just liked the DRD pipe I switched to much more. The sound was crisp and it really allowed me to get more out of each gear. That being said the two bros pipe is dune legal so that is all that matters, if I can pick one up for cheap I will cause I only need it for one or two dune trips a year.

As far as the header, I was thinking about the powerbomb. So many people say that FMF sucks now but if nothing else comes up it's worth a shot. I just need a little more on the top end, the bottom end is really strong as is.

GAZ-V-21
10-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
ohh and toss the k&n filter and get a uni the k&n will trash your motor!! how does the k&n filter trash motor? Just curios cause i just got one.

01boneless
10-04-2011, 04:38 PM
they allow to much dust and grit in to the motor .the only way you should run one is if you have a outer wears prefilter ask anyone on here there ok if you run the prefilter imho:D

01boneless
10-04-2011, 04:47 PM
and austin i pmed you!

GAZ-V-21
10-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by GAZ-V-21
how does the k&n filter trash motor? Just curios cause i just got one. ok cool i do have an outerwear on it

87HONDATRX250X
10-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by GAZ-V-21
ok cool i do have an outerwear on it

Same here. Had a uni foam filter over top of my k&N and man did that thing rob it of power and air. Been running K&N with prefilter for a full race season and no issue

kt1148
10-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Check out Motoworks for your exhaust. Sounds awesome and priced good right now!http://www.motoworks.com/