PDA

View Full Version : Snowboarders!

Sjorge450R
10-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Whats up guys. Im looking to buy my first snowboard really soon and think I found a good deal. I boarded all last winter and fell in love with it, but was lucky enough to use a buddies spare board and gear. Well he sold that to another friend so now I need my own. I like boards on the smaller side and I love the flow bindings so i figured this is a good buy. What do you think? I'd be going with the 153
http://www.evo.com/outlet/mashups/flow-team-snowboard-the-five-bindings-2011.aspx

HondaRacing83
10-03-2011, 06:06 PM
looks pretty good, i hear burton, k2, ride and active are good snowboards as well. i came accross a really good deal on a santa cruz board, but dont know much about snata cruz and idk if they make good snowboards. i was looking to get into snowboarding this year, guess itll have to wait.

KingpinsEx
10-03-2011, 06:44 PM
The board length should be based on your height and type of riding you plan on doing. Make sure to do the research before you buy, want to make sure your money is well spent. Fun sport for sure..

wilkin250r
10-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Honestly, until you're several years into the sport, I don't think you can go wrong with almost ANY brand.

Bindings are important, and boots are probably the MOST important piece of your gear. But until you've been doing it for several years, you don't have the skills necessary to really utilize the differences in boards.

I'm not a pro or anything, but I've been skiing and boarding for about 20 years, and I can run circles around you and your $500 board and $350 bindings with a $119 board/binding combo special from Big 5 sporting goods.

I'm not saying this to brag, I'm making a point. When you're racing pro-level GNCC, you need a 450. But when you're just learning to ride, you don't have the skills to take advantage of anything but the motor in a straight line, so a 450 doesn't really give you anything over a 250EX. You don't have the skills to take advantage of the better suspension travel or handling characteristics, and since a snowboard doesn't have a motor, take that out of the equation.

I've seen Lamar and Nitro snowboard for like $159, complete with bindings, and they would work just fine for almost any rider that has been riding less than 5 years. No reason to fork out the expense of Burton or Ride boards if you don't have the skills to take advantage of those features that premium boards have.

brian76708
10-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Honestly, until you're several years into the sport, I don't think you can go wrong with almost ANY brand.

Bindings are important, and boots are probably the MOST important piece of your gear. But until you've been doing it for several years, you don't have the skills necessary to really utilize the differences in boards.

I'm not a pro or anything, but I've been skiing and boarding for about 20 years, and I can run circles around you and your $500 board and $350 bindings with a $119 board/binding combo special from Big 5 sporting goods.

I'm not saying this to brag, I'm making a point. When you're racing pro-level GNCC, you need a 450. But when you're just learning to ride, you don't have the skills to take advantage of anything but the motor in a straight line, so a 450 doesn't really give you anything over a 250EX. You don't have the skills to take advantage of the better suspension travel or handling characteristics, and since a snowboard doesn't have a motor, take that out of the equation.

I've seen Lamar and Nitro snowboard for like $159, complete with bindings, and they would work just fine for almost any rider that has been riding less than 5 years. No reason to fork out the expense of Burton or Ride boards if you don't have the skills to take advantage of those features that premium boards have.

with my experience the lower end boards get messed up easier. I have never bought a expensive board but my last two boards have had chunks come out of the top laminate. i guess since i have never owned a higher end board so i can confirm that they hold together better but it just seemed like others i went boarding with that had better boards they didn't get as messed up. i never snowboard enough to justify something that expensive though. im lucky to get out 1 a year.

Sjorge450R
10-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

I agree with you 100% but still for a sub $300 board, I consider that cheap. Dont get me wrong. I probably hit the mountain about 20 times last year and loved every minute of it and I was riding a burton custom. I know this flow is no where near that, but Im curious as to whether get this board/binding or the other option they have with the cheaper flow bindings.

tayyo789
10-03-2011, 10:26 PM
I love my Never Summer board, and I have Tech Nine bindings that I found on ebay for like 100 bucks. My next board will either be an Arbor, or a Lib Tech, IMO two of the best brands for boards. But I agree that you shouldn't buy the nicest stuff to start with, because they really all last about the same amount of time. A nice board is only as good as the person who rides it. Don't spend more money then you have to, because its an expensive hobby.

wilkin250r
10-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by brian76708
with my experience the lower end boards get messed up easier. I have never bought a expensive board but my last two boards have had chunks come out of the top laminate.

The only time I ever saw a "cheap" board get messed up is if you hit a rock or some other type of abuse. And it does indeed seem like the name-brand boards hold up to abuse better, but I don't think it justifies the extra expense, and I don't think that's a good reason to pick your board. With a quad, yes, the strength and ability to handle abuse is an important aspect because rocks and punishment (and occasional crashes) are a natural part of the sport. But they're not part of snowboarding, or at least they never have been for me (except the crashing part).

Your boots are probably the most important part of your gear and have the biggest impact on your overall comfort and enjoyment. If your boots don't fit, no amount of equipment can overcome it. Provided your boots fit and aren't loose, your bindings probably have the most significant aspect on your performance. Too tall or too short, too much flex or too little, or not enough adjustability in forward lean, stance width, or location of your bindings on your board will have WAY more effect on your riding abilities than the length and width of your board.

You'd be much better with good boots, good bindings, and a cheap board over cheap boots and bindings with a good board.

chronicsmoke
10-04-2011, 01:33 PM
It's going to be my 2nd year shredding, definietly ADDICTING! I really want a Gnu Park Pickle this year.. they are sick. They've got a serrated edge for better contact.
But i've got a burton setup that's going to probably last me at least this year.. If you are still new, just get something cheap, because by the time you're good enough, you'll want the new designs and new gear. And if you have an expensive board, as stated, you wont know the difference anyway.

Zakradu398
10-04-2011, 01:56 PM
I have a k2 darkstart. I got the wide one cause of big feet but I really love it. It does well all around but ice not so much. has nice flex too.

and i personally like cinch bindings.

If you got the cash, The lib-tech banana boards are AMAZING

http://www.the-house.com/9854k2dsw11zz-k2-snowboards.html

440racer66
10-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
It's going to be my 2nd year shredding, definietly ADDICTING! I really want a Gnu Park Pickle this year.. they are sick. They've got a serrated edge for better contact.
But i've got a burton setup that's going to probably last me at least this year.. If you are still new, just get something cheap, because by the time you're good enough, you'll want the new designs and new gear. And if you have an expensive board, as stated, you wont know the difference anyway.

idk i would get a mervin made board with banna mag those two thing will make your ridding so much easier ha heres lil pic of a q pipe we built on the side of my friends house.

Sjorge450R
10-05-2011, 12:06 PM
I just wanted to post back and let you guys know that I did end up going with this board (http://www.evo.com/outlet/mashups/flow-team-snowboard-trilogy-bindings-2011.aspx)

I found out a friend had a coupon and paired with the sale from the other day, the board and bindings cost me just over $200. A good buy in my opinion. I will have to check back and let you guys know how it is once the temps finally drop!!!

tayyo789
10-05-2011, 01:42 PM
I think it'll work out fine, I have a friend with that brand board and its held up fine. The mountains around me are starting to get snow, I can't wait!

Sjorge450R
10-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by tayyo789
I think it'll work out fine, I have a friend with that brand board and its held up fine. The mountains around me are starting to get snow, I can't wait!

im from philly so I have to wait a little bit, but me and few friends have been thinking about travelling up to New England for some early season boarding....we just have to get some money

RATPACK Z400
10-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Try different boards out first! your friends etc . I like burtons /sims boards the most ! he me In the back country at loveland pass. 20+ft in air in a river bed that froze over between to mountains .Make a great rollercoaster like ride,riding down the frozen river !