PDA

View Full Version : 500ex Info.

Jekyl_22
02-24-2003, 10:33 PM
I have searched some of the 500ex threads on here, but they all seem to end up in a big fight. So could someone please give me some info on this? I need a new crankshaft, so I figure why not just go for a 500 crank? I will install it myself.

I already have it bored out to a 440 with 11:1 compression. How much will just the crankshaft itself cost? Also, does it come with the gear on the crankshaft? How much more power can expect to get out of this? Any websites, info, or 1st hand experience is very much appreciated. Also, if you are reading this Mickey Dunlap, could you PM me a price for your crank and some info on it?

Doibugu2
02-25-2003, 07:42 AM
Talk to Chadexer. I believe his is the only one above 500cc.

Extremeracer167
02-25-2003, 08:55 AM
well chanced of u doing it yourself are slim unless u are a good machineest. I believe they use the sleeve of a Rancher or some other utility quad, u have to bore the cases, and it takes some tranny mods. Your lookin some big bucks. But if it runs anything like Brad MAcris did last year at the GNCCs, its SCARY fast.

ChadEXer
02-25-2003, 11:30 AM
I agree with Extreme, I wouldnt even dare try to get into the stroking myself!! There is a few special things that need to be done to the cases and transmission to allow for it!! Your best bet would be getting a price on seeing how much FST, TC or any of those guys would charge you to just stroke it!!! Going that big on an EX motor can be a disaster if its not done right!!

oynot400
02-25-2003, 01:22 PM
I agree with the other guys as well. It is something that you don't just throw together. I did my 463 myself, I had to do some grinding on a few things to make things fit. I had some special tools to help me in the installation. I am sure with a 493 or a 505 there are other things to consider. To get your crank stroked and balanced expect to pay somewhere in the $600 range.
Give Mike a call at For Dirt Only (740-967-1078). He makes an awsome 493 and would be more than happy to talk with you.