PDA

View Full Version : new owner!!!

01boneless
10-02-2011, 06:25 PM
hey guys so i traded the old 400ex for the 05 450r kicker has nmotion full exaust,g force axle protaper bars jetted,uni filter carbon fiber hood razr tires pro design tether ac pro peg nerfs prm bumper and i think thats bout it. ill post pics later right now it is tore down soaking in cleaner :blah: lol its not perfect but pretty nice i can kick my guts out on it and my uncle (used to ride dirtbikes) can start it 2end or 3 kick lol the frame paint is chipping a little but i can fix that easy :D also i pulled the exaust and broke both studs ohh well nothing i havent delt with befor like on the old 400!!!!

finsteratv
10-02-2011, 08:39 PM
nice! oil change and ride it! prepare to save for tires and oil :blah:

01boneless
10-02-2011, 08:42 PM
ok so i went throught everything and it seems ok for the most part there is bolt here and there missing in the plastic but no big deal is there supposed to be a heat shield between the gas tank and valve cover (i know i need a manual)? also it needs a hotstart cable it is froze and wont move any problems i can run it when replacin? but opther than that stuff it seems good alos if you have a method on removing the broken head stud thatd be good lol

quad2xtreme
10-03-2011, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by 01boneless
ok so i went throught everything and it seems ok for the most part there is bolt here and there missing in the plastic but no big deal is there supposed to be a heat shield between the gas tank and valve cover (i know i need a manual)? also it needs a hotstart cable it is froze and wont move any problems i can run it when replacin? but opther than that stuff it seems good alos if you have a method on removing the broken head stud thatd be good lol

Take the head to a machine shop before you mess it up. They will drill down through the center and use a bolt extractor or simply redrill and retap. If you go and booger it up, they won't be able to help you.

blacknblue#2
10-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Congrats on being a 450 owner, Agreed on making sure the header studs are done right and yes there is a plastic guard between the valve cover and take. The rear plastic should attach to it also

01boneless
10-03-2011, 07:30 PM
prolem is i refuse to take the motor apart lol my uncle said he cold weld a old socket to them and unscrew them? also is a raer scidplate nessisary

blacknblue#2
10-03-2011, 07:59 PM
In our part of the country yes a rear skid is almost a must unless you like buying brake rotors lol

01boneless
10-03-2011, 10:56 PM
lol thats what i was thinkin how much you charge a dude to adjust my valves lol

quad2xtreme
10-04-2011, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by 01boneless
lol thats what i was thinkin how much you charge a dude to adjust my valves lol

If it is time to adjust your valves then you should just get the head redone. You pretty much adjust the valves on a 450 when the head is new or just rebuilt. It will stay in spec for a long, long time if you keep the air filter clean and replace your oil often. I ran my mx quad for over 3 years without needing adjustment. Once the valves require adjustment, it is really time for a rebuild. You can buy yourself a month or two by reshimming but that is it.

01boneless
10-04-2011, 07:24 AM
^ lol somehow i dont belive that but ok so black and blue where you at bro?

Baileygunns
10-04-2011, 10:12 AM
^^ He's not to far off.. Depends on your riding and how clean your air filter keeps the internals. The last time I shimmed my valves was when I picked the bike up almost 2 years ago.

quad2xtreme
10-04-2011, 11:19 AM
I wasn't sure if he was questioning the amount of time before I had to change shims or the fact that once you your on a slippery downhill slide. Once you go through the special "coating" that prevents wear, it is all over. The valves quickly continuing seating themselves further and further into the head.

My mx quad outlasted my wife's trail quad by far. I think she made it about 2 years.

01boneless
10-07-2011, 06:32 PM
UPDATE so i got the drain bolt fixed and the hotstart cable kinda loosend up and the rad almost on now i need to get these broken exaust studs off!!