PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 question?

hilltop_83
10-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Alright so i have a 09 3500, with the 6.7L engine with a aFe cold air intake and a Edge juice w/attitude. I am going to do the EGR cooler/valve delete and I am wanting to know....
1. If i set the edge up to clear codes at start up will it still run fine?
2. Can i run it like this till i get some more money for an exhaust?
3. Then after i get money for an exhaust do i get an exhaust with bungs for the exhaust sensors or do i get the SIMS for the sensors?

I have asked a couple people i know that work on diesel trucks and nobody seems to know because its such a new engine/design. And Edge wont anwser any of my e-mails.

If anybody has some anwsers please help.

Also i have running boards and a fifth wheel for sale. PM me if anybody is interested.

HondaRacing83
10-02-2011, 04:00 PM
sell it and get a 5.9 diesel with no emisions bull****

HondaRacing83
10-02-2011, 04:00 PM
but ive gotta say, thats a really sharp truck

Kovatch
10-03-2011, 10:08 AM
I would re-direct your question to thedieselgarage.com if you haven't already. They know what they are doing.

I had an exhaust before I did anything "inside" the motor. I always felt that breathing and farting were more important than EGR deletes. (I ran a Ford 6.0). Since the new emissions crap has come out, I haven't followed how to get around everything, will it run, etc. (sorry I can't help more).

hilltop_83
10-03-2011, 03:20 PM
well the problem is i have asked on different sites and asked multiple mechanics and nobody knows if the edge can do it or if im gonna need a different programmer.... i would prefer not to buy a different programmer if i dont need to. I like the edge and have no problems with it. I figured i would post here to see if anybody here has any experience or has heard if it will work or not

KXRida
10-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by hilltop_83
Alright so i have a 09 3500, with the 6.7L engine with a aFe cold air intake and a Edge juice w/attitude. I am going to do the EGR cooler/valve delete and I am wanting to know....
1. If i set the edge up to clear codes at start up will it still run fine?
2. Can i run it like this till i get some more money for an exhaust?
3. Then after i get money for an exhaust do i get an exhaust with bungs for the exhaust sensors or do i get the SIMS for the sensors?

I have asked a couple people i know that work on diesel trucks and nobody seems to know because its such a new engine/design. And Edge wont anwser any of my e-mails.

If anybody has some anwsers please help.

Also i have running boards and a fifth wheel for sale. PM me if anybody is interested.

A buddy of mine had an egr/dpf delete on his 08 6.7 and it ran with the edge just fine. Regardless though, I'd still ditch the edge and step up to a better programmer, better yet wait til efi live comes out for the 6.7's. Could still always go with a smarty or an H&S and those tuners will take care of the egr/dpf codes for sure. I'm not that up to par on the cummin's so I'd check with a few of the other diesel sites, but if you had a 6.4 I could help you out there.

mx Eli
10-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Wait till efi live has a 6.7 programmer, strait pipe your stock exhaust cus its already a 4 inch just have a pipe made to replace the muffler. without the right codes your engine light goes on all the time and stuff like that

Kovatch
10-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Did you try Scheid's Diesel? They are the experts is most situations... They can build some monsters, which leads me to believe they can handle the "little things." Sorry I can't help more.

400exrider707
10-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Join a forum where someone knows something about your truck.

Start with www.competitiondiesel.com

I'm sure you can get your answer on www.cumminsforum.com too, but that place is just obnoxious. There are probably others out there too... www.dieselbombers.com is a pretty cool relaxed place.

The guys on Comp-D will know for sure though. Lots of heavy hitters from the diesel world on there.

hilltop_83
10-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Kovatch
Did you try Scheid's Diesel? They are the experts is most situations... They can build some monsters, which leads me to believe they can handle the "little things." Sorry I can't help more.

i completely for about scheids. Im gonna give them a try.

Edge finally e-mailed me back and they said the only way they know it was possible to do the deletes was to update to the CTS monitor and send the box in the engine compartment and get that updated for $500, BUT they no longer offer that cause the EPA is "cracking down"

Kovatch
10-05-2011, 07:44 AM
I know you don't want to change programmers, but I thought Bully Dog cracked the 6.7 emission stuff in late last year? Worth a shot to email them or look into it. If your Edge isn't going to work, you may have to switch. It's not worth spending $$$ on more mods if the programmer will continue to throw codes, especially if you are under warranty.

You can send a truck/computer back to stock without Dodge/Cummins knowing anything with a Bully Dog. All you have to do is cycle the ignition 5-7 times after re-loading the stock program.

We have two guys around here you may be able to google and get some info. Diesel Pro in Painesville, OH. He is pretty good with diesel tech. If he can't help you, he may refer you to Francis, who is a well-known diesel engine builder (similar to Scheid's) here in NE Ohio.

KXRida
10-05-2011, 08:12 AM
I know you don't want to change programmers, but I thought Bully Dog cracked the 6.7 emission stuff in late last year? Worth a shot to email them or look into it. If your Edge isn't going to work, you may have to switch. It's not worth spending $$$ on more mods if the programmer will continue to throw codes, especially if you are under warranty.

You can send a truck/computer back to stock without Dodge/Cummins knowing anything with a Bully Dog. All you have to do is cycle the ignition 5-7 times after re-loading the stock program.

We have two guys around here you may be able to google and get some info. Diesel Pro in Painesville, OH. He is pretty good with diesel tech. If he can't help you, he may refer you to Francis, who is a well-known diesel engine builder (similar to Scheid's) here in NE Ohio.

lol a bully dog. That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. I'd rather run my truck stock than put that TCM killing garbage on it. Yes, dodge can pull up that a non factory tune was loaded into the ECU with the bully dog. It will leave a footprint.

400exrider707
10-05-2011, 12:05 PM
I agree. Pretty much any of the newer trucks you can tell when a tuner has been run. I certainly wouldn't be putting a bullydog on any diesel I owned... EVER.

KXRida
10-05-2011, 02:01 PM
After seeing what can be done to the duramaxes with efi live I'd be waiting for that to come to the 6.7's if I were a dodge owner.

mx Eli
10-05-2011, 08:51 PM
This just came out fromt diesel trucks fb page

EFILive 6.7l Beta testing is under way. First tune we created was a mild tune that has some kick to it. Pulls hard, runs smooth, breaks tires loose in 1st and 2nd, no codes and should yield some better mpg. More driving will tell. Our test truck is a 2008 2500 6.7L. Everything is stock for now and will start upgrading as we develope tunes for them. More details and updates will be available on the Dan's Diesel Performance fan page

KXRida
10-06-2011, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by mx Eli
This just came out fromt diesel trucks fb page

EFILive 6.7l Beta testing is under way. First tune we created was a mild tune that has some kick to it. Pulls hard, runs smooth, breaks tires loose in 1st and 2nd, no codes and should yield some better mpg. More driving will tell. Our test truck is a 2008 2500 6.7L. Everything is stock for now and will start upgrading as we develope tunes for them. More details and updates will be available on the Dan's Diesel Performance fan page

I think a lot of tuners have had Efi live in their hands but it still hasn't been officially released. I imagine the same guys that offer custom Dmax tuning will be offering cummins tuning as well. I just wish I could get innovative performance tunes on my Spartan.

Ruby Soho
10-06-2011, 07:22 AM
i have seen some crazy numbers put down with the innovative tunes for those 6.4s!

makes me want one so bad lol

KXRida
10-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
i have seen some crazy numbers put down with the innovative tunes for those 6.4s!

makes me want one so bad lol

I know but I'd hate to give up my spartan/dashdaq combo for an sct. I've talked to a few guys from spartan about partnering up with Eric at IDP but doubt it will happen. Spartan did recently partner with RCD and is supposed to release who the other tuner is they partnered with.

Kovatch
10-06-2011, 10:56 AM
On three builds (daily drivers), I have never had one issue on three builds with Bully Dog. Single Turbo @ 703 & 708hp or twin turbos @ 818hp. I know there may be better stuff, but stacked set-ups or stand alone they have worked well for us with zero failure. I may be old school but those numbers were on 2006 5.9s, three different trucks.

Even with internal engine work (injectors, valves, cam, millwork, the norm intake/exh, and a Bully Dog removed, Dodge never questioned me or voided the warranties.

The newer stuff is definitely nice. I've been outta the game for a while so my thoughts are outdated.

hilltop_83
10-06-2011, 06:48 PM
so what it comes down to is i am gonna have to get a new programmer, probably as of now H&S unless somebody comes out with something better but first.... Tires/rims, and leveling out the front

MX MaNiAc 06
10-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Can't help ya at all but.. Love the truck man! What are you pulling with that monster?

KXRida
10-07-2011, 06:13 AM
On three builds (daily drivers), I have never had one issue on three builds with Bully Dog. Single Turbo @ 703 & 708hp or twin turbos @ 818hp. I know there may be better stuff, but stacked set-ups or stand alone they have worked well for us with zero failure. I may be old school but those numbers were on 2006 5.9s, three different trucks.

Even with internal engine work (injectors, valves, cam, millwork, the norm intake/exh, and a Bully Dog removed, Dodge never questioned me or voided the warranties.

The newer stuff is definitely nice. I've been outta the game for a while so my thoughts are outdated.

Bully dog has been known for causing many tcm failures on the newer trucks let alone most are designed to be run with dpf on which over time will clog. For what its worth its much better to buy a higher quality tuner and save yourself the headache. As far as warranty work goes it all depends what you're having done. I just took my truck down to the Ford dealer for a headlight issue with the dashdaq still installed, no dpf, etc. Say I was going in for blown head gaskets, that would be a different story. If they look hard enough yes I can tell you for a fact that a bully dog will leave a footprint internally in the ECU. Not to mention most programmers change the injector flow patterns and width causing quite a degree of suspicion if the motor has to be torn down that far.

hilltop_83
10-11-2011, 05:07 PM
my buddy has a '06 3500 5.9 with a bully dog and im not impressed with it at all. Im not saying its a bad programmer just saying there are better ones out there.

I do some landscaping jobs on the side and i am either pulling a bobcat S250, a zero turn mower or hauling around my quad and this truck has made all of the above easier to pull. My only complaint with the truck is the EGR. i just really dont like it. everything else is perfect.

KXRida
10-12-2011, 02:25 PM
my buddy has a '06 3500 5.9 with a bully dog and im not impressed with it at all. Im not saying its a bad programmer just saying there are better ones out there.

I do some landscaping jobs on the side and i am either pulling a bobcat S250, a zero turn mower or hauling around my quad and this truck has made all of the above easier to pull. My only complaint with the truck is the EGR. i just really dont like it. everything else is perfect.

I will say that it is a bad programmer. Many have had issues with them not to mention compared to other programmers the performance gains are minimal. Are you looking into doing an EGR delete? Biggest complaint on the newer diesels IMO is the dpf. In stock form they are mileage killers, although it's hard to complain about the mpg numbers the new ford 6.7 is putting out.

hilltop_83
10-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Ya i just want to do the EGR valve/cooler delete and use the edge programmer to clear codes on start up for now, but i have been told that i can do it and that i can not do that, so im just trying to figure out what to do until i get some more money to get a new programmer and exhaust. on cumminsforum.com a guy told me to just unplug the EGR valve but to me if i unplug it then i might as well take the time to do the EGR valve/cooler delete.

KXrida toss up some pics of your Ford

KXRida
10-13-2011, 05:59 AM
Putting my lift on this weekend as well as egr delete and lift pump.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/IMAG0048.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/IMAG0049.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/IMAG0052.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/IMAG0070.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/IMAG0074.jpg

KXRida
10-19-2011, 12:05 PM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/005-11.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/007-11.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/009-9.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/008-13.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/010-6.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/012-7.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/004-13.jpg

hilltop_83
10-19-2011, 02:23 PM
That looks alot better leveled. What brand did you go with?

KXRida
10-19-2011, 03:04 PM
It's actually a 4.5'' lift made by icon. Icon generally seems to be the better of the suspension lifts for the fords.

hilltop_83
10-20-2011, 03:10 PM
I just got my Top Gunz Customs front coil springs and bilstein shocks in yesterday night i cant wait till i get the time to put it on.

hilltop_83
11-25-2011, 03:38 PM
if any body is interested i am selling the step sides of my truck. they are Mopar, have the numbers on them. If anybody is interested shoot me a pm. im willing to deal to get rid of them

hilltop_83
12-11-2011, 02:25 PM
i finally got my TGC 2.5" leveling kit with bilstein shocks on and got my windows tinted.

KXRida
12-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Is that thing a mega cab? Looks like Noah's ark to drive

400exHondaRider
12-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
Is that thing a mega cab? Looks like Noah's ark to drive

it may, but that thing is bad@$$!! nice truck.

mx Eli
12-11-2011, 03:58 PM
yeah thats a mega, very nice truck btw! the mega's are still shorter then a quad cab long box, and once you sit in that back seat ull understand why its worth it

Tommy Warren
12-11-2011, 04:09 PM
yeah thats a mega, very nice truck btw! the mega's are still shorter then a quad cab long box, and once you sit in that back seat ull understand why its worth it
they sell kits than you can turn it into a long box...they look really sweet and long then

KXRida
12-11-2011, 04:48 PM
They have a ton of room in them. The regular crew cab dodges have no room in them. My crew cab surprisingly has a ton of room in it as well.

buck440
12-11-2011, 05:24 PM
my friend had an 08 megacab longbed and it was a little over 20 feet long lol. store parking spaces are around 8 feet long and parking in 2 spaces was a must. he eats a lot of fast food and they always have tight left's and it would always hop the curb and would have to crawl to so wouldn't hit the building.

needless to say he sold it because it was too damn long. real nice truck though. you could put an air bed in the back seat with lots of room for long rides or camping.

hilltop_83
12-11-2011, 06:25 PM
thanks every body. the back seat is huge and when the seats are folded down im pretty sure i can fit a queen size blown up air mattress in it. i have not tried it yet but im pretty sure it will fit.

parking is sometime a pain. most of the time i usually just take up two spots because im paranoid some one is gonna throw a door in it. already happened once

XCRacer236
12-11-2011, 07:23 PM
My buddy had a MegaCab and they are amazing! Everyone always asked him how he drove it around our high school parking lot..:huh

CJM
12-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Cool truck but dont claim its big..cause it aint. 4door crewcab 8ft bed F350 is somewhat big...

But this, this is big...The bed alone is 22ft long, cab is another 10ft lol. Try driving that thru the drivethru..wont fit lol

http://www.rockanddirt.com/thumbnail?2000-CHEVROLET-KODIAK%20C6500-rollback-trucks&db=truckdb&type=S&border=0&fname=15012/8974101_a.jpg

mx Eli
12-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by XCRacer236
My buddy had a MegaCab and they are amazing! Everyone always asked him how he drove it around our high school parking lot..:huh

teenage women drivers.... :devil: :devil:

I am no expert as I only have my temps but I can back a 28 foot enclosed trailer with our quadcab short box cummins no prob, parking my buddy's long box quadcab isnt bad as long as your realistic with your spot choice haha

XCRacer236
12-11-2011, 08:41 PM
[B]teenage women drivers.... :devil: :devil:

]

Their certainly good for one thing or another... :devil:

hilltop_83
04-01-2012, 05:56 PM
got some new tires and rims.... Im diggin the new look!!

Before......

hilltop_83
04-01-2012, 05:57 PM
And After.......

mx Eli
04-01-2012, 07:40 PM
And After.......

words cant describe how jealous i am....

KXRida
04-03-2012, 12:28 PM
33's?

hilltop_83
04-03-2012, 04:25 PM
words cant describe how jealous i am....

Thank you!! this is why i went to college and work 45-55 hours a week. and 35s

KXRida
04-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Thank you!! this is why i went to college and work 45-55 hours a week. and 35s

How much did the toyos run you in a 35? I had them in 33's before my lift and think I might switch back to them down the road. Also thinking of upping to 37's as well. Truck looks good.

hilltop_83
04-03-2012, 06:53 PM
$355 a piece.... i got a deal through my gf family freind. The guy owns a body shop and sold them to me what he gets them for. Thank god for connections!!!!