PDA

View Full Version : LTR engine build

niceraxx
10-01-2011, 08:25 PM
I am looking for a reliable engine builder close to cleveland oh. I want to freshen up the top end , get a real good valve job and maybe port and polish. I am not looking for a big bore. I want a little more power without sacrificing reliability. Where do I go ?

dxcody
10-01-2011, 11:37 PM
i think gt thunder rebuilds motors dont they?

They are like an hour and a half away if they do.

jigg14
10-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Check out Greg's. I'm not sure how far he is from you, but he does awesome work.

http://gregsatv.com/index.htm

Kovatch
10-14-2011, 06:53 AM
Baldwin would be your best choice. Give Mark a call. I wouldn't settle for second best.

jigg14
10-14-2011, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Kovatch
Baldwin would be your best choice. Give Mark a call. I wouldn't settle for second best.
I would do Baldwin if money isn't an issue. One of my buddies sent his motor to him right before Loretta's to get "freshened up" and it came back with a $2800 bill.

Kovatch
10-14-2011, 11:33 AM
@ Jigg. It depends on what is wrong or looks bad. If you want a new piston and looked over... May not cost much, but what if the insides are fragged? You want that engine back with those busted parts not replaced? Not sure which motor was your buddies.

I agree it's not the cheapest around, but he doesn't lack quality. A friend took his engine in b/c it wouldn't start & wanted it "gone through" just to make sure. Once the cases were split, you could see that a crank had fragged in the past, busted up the insides of the cases and was replaced (by a different builder.) When Baldwin split the engine, we went up to see the cases and the other parts that were damaged. The holes (6-7) in the cases were filled with epoxy or missing parts of epoxy from that previous engine builder! All the messed up parts were replaced: cases, cylinder, piston, and more. We thought it would have been a simple fix, but obviously more was needed.

You don't really know what is wrong until you get in the engine. If you want it done right, go to Baldwin. Just enough to get by, DIY.

jigg14
10-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Kovatch
@ Jigg. It depends on what is wrong or looks bad. If you want a new piston and looked over... May not cost much, but what if the insides are fragged? You want that engine back with those busted parts not replaced? Not sure which motor was your buddies.

I agree it's not the cheapest around, but he doesn't lack quality. A friend took his engine in b/c it wouldn't start & wanted it "gone through" just to make sure. Once the cases were split, you could see that a crank had fragged in the past, busted up the insides of the cases and was replaced (by a different builder.) When Baldwin split the engine, we went up to see the cases and the other parts that were damaged. The holes (6-7) in the cases were filled with epoxy or missing parts of epoxy from that previous engine builder! All the messed up parts were replaced: cases, cylinder, piston, and more. We thought it would have been a simple fix, but obviously more was needed.

You don't really know what is wrong until you get in the engine. If you want it done right, go to Baldwin. Just enough to get by, DIY.

Oh I agree Mark is second to none. He does great work, and he's proud of it! If I had the money I'd send my stuff to him as well. Greg does my stuff and he has done a fantastic job so far and his pricing isn't bad either.

SHIFTx450
01-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Did you ever find somebody?

2muchquad
12-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Unless u get paid to race its crazy paying big money for motor work.everything u neef is on the web if u look.just to say u have a fast quad do what.if u cant ride what's the point? Atvs r ez to work on don't get intimidated.not hard to do a good job.builders want u to think only they can work on ur motor.lol