PDA

View Full Version : axle problem

dxcody
09-30-2011, 11:11 PM
Got all my parts ordered for my motor. Just decided to go over a general check and tighten all my bolts and what not since this was my first ever complete build. Noticed my axle sprocket hub, has 2/4 broken pieces where the sprocket mounts to it.

My axle is not stock, it is an adjustable aftermarket one, but i dont know what kind. (im thinking its durablue.) It has a 1 inch spacer and a 1/2 inch spacer on each side.

I got a stock hub off a buddy, the hole with the splines are too small. (i was told that it might be a G force and you can use a stock hub on a g force so i tried it with no success.)
My axle is too thick for the stock hub. For a new one its like $300, any other alternative. And of course the 2 that are broke are 2 in a row not across from eachother.

Thinking maybe JB weld till it breaks? I have a good Moose case saver. Whats your thoughts?

400exrip
10-01-2011, 05:44 AM
If it is a G-Force axle it should have came with its own sprocket hub when you buy the axle. I have never heard anybody using the stock sprocket hub on an aftermarket axle though. I doubt JB Weld is going to hold up on a sprocket hub with all the power from the motor.

The G-Force axles are not expensive at all, I think they are like $180, But I don't think they are called G-Force anymore, I think now it is called a Tusk axle.

CJM
10-01-2011, 06:08 AM
My guess is durablue, they use thier own hubs.

I doubt JB weld will hold it, ebay or buy a new g-force or stock axle

01boneless
10-01-2011, 09:00 AM
looks for someone parting one out on here you can pisck one up cheap or a gforce for like 150 on ebay jb weld is not a good idea!

Stickman400
10-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Yep, I'd say it's Durablue. I had the same problem when I tried to install a stock hub on my Durablue awhile back and it just would not go on. Then I remembered that they come with custom hubs that have thicker splines. So I'd agree with everyone else and say eBay or buy a new axle, sucks, but that's Durablue for ya.

CJM
10-01-2011, 08:42 PM
If you still have the tabs you could get someone to tig weld it back on possibly for maybe 50 bucks.

dxcody
10-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by CJM
If you still have the tabs you could get someone to tig weld it back on possibly for maybe 50 bucks.

Yea i still got them, mig deff didnt work lol

My neighbor is a certified welder so maybe he could hook me up, i wasnt sure what type of metal it is?

Stickman400
10-02-2011, 08:49 AM
My bet is its steel or mild-steel. There arent many parts on 400s that arent steel or aluminum. And the hub sure aint gunna be aluminum.

dxcody
10-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Stickman400
My bet is its steel or mild-steel. There arent many parts on 400s that arent steel or aluminum. And the hub sure aint gunna be aluminum.

i guess it would make since for me to get on dura blue's website and look huh? :p

Stickman400
10-02-2011, 05:27 PM
I was looking around at random things on Motosport and I saw they had a Durablue sprocket hub, $100. Here's the link: http://www.motosport.com/atv/product/DURA-BLUE-SPROCKET-HUB/?id=112143&bMMY=HONDA;TRX400EX;2005 That's for my '05, not that it makes a difference. Just thought I'd help you out alittle.

dxcody
10-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Stickman400
I was looking around at random things on Motosport and I saw they had a Durablue sprocket hub, $100. Here's the link: http://www.motosport.com/atv/product/DURA-BLUE-SPROCKET-HUB/?id=112143&bMMY=HONDA;TRX400EX;2005 That's for my '05, not that it makes a difference. Just thought I'd help you out alittle.

thanks! :D