PDA

View Full Version : Crashing/Spills

CJM
09-30-2011, 11:05 PM
So I felt we should discuss our most treasured memories-falling off/wiping out, crashing, spills, whatever you want to call it. Ill start:
-Rode up a very large sandy hill in 3rd, wasnt going fast enough, stalled and I rolled down backwards on the quad till I fell off and rolled down the hill, quad rolled down after me on its wheels tho

-Was going slower and came up to a rutted hill, had my extended axle on and caught the rut. Made me flip sideways and the handlebar end hit the inside of my foot. my foot hurt for 3 months. BUT I kept riding that day and every weekend after it lol.

-Same hill, was going pinned in 4th and forgot the drop was there-flew off and landed but man it was rough. Smacked the hell outta my wrist tho.

-Was just riding around on some small hills, not sure what happened but I flipped on my side going quite slowly. I was ok and so was quad

-Was going pretty fast and went down a hill, only to be greeted by some VERY large ruts. Tried to run in the middle of some of them and lost. bent steering stem.

-Went on a half bowl, this bowl abuts a lake thats dredged and has no shore. Did it like 20x no issues, then one time somehow or another I lost control (think my tires caught something) and I rolled sideways down the hill into the water. Was like 70F outside but the water was cold. Quad floated away lol, I swam carrying it back. Had tobe towed home-but it did run once I drained it.

-Same as above but with paddles, paddles do not like to slide to well. Didnt lose it but came dang close.

-Was riding on some fireroads (sand) and took a turn to sharp and quad didnt want to left-kept going straight. Flipped over and landed ok. Quad was ok.

-Was doing donuts and somehow lost control and fell off. Amazingly quad landed on all 4 tires and didnt flip over.

I cant think of anymore really. I never seriously injured myself tho. Always walked away. Course those damn 400ex stock steering stems are soft andbend to easy. Im gonna be on #4 soon cause #3 is bent already.

dxcody
09-30-2011, 11:34 PM
lets see.

1. I was 13 and just got my first sport quad, 2000 300ex bone stock. My buddy took me out riding the next day. He was on a 450R. He asked me, you know how to climb hills right? Of course i said "oh yea!" Which i did, just on utility quads, front end doesnt come up as easy on them.. He went up a steep hill with ease, i followed, and i was focused on the hill. At the top of the hill you had to make a sharp left immidiately. I DIDNT! lol, hit the tree started to roll backwords, jumped off and it just killed it on the hill without a roll but i myself rolled down the hill and hit a tree with made my body U shaped. It hurt a little but put a chew in and kept riding!

2. 300ex a few months later. Just playing around out in the back yard with dew on the ground, locking up the back brakes and sliding.. Well i have a dirt circle track in the back yard and i was in 4th gear when i started sliding, hit the track about 20 ft after being sideways, flipped 3 times. Laughed and hopped up to make sure my parents didnt see.

3. 400ex in the snow, bald front tires, there was a sheet of thin ice, and about an inch or two of snow ontop of the ice. About 3rd gear through the woods trying to keep up with my buddy on his 450R, and there was a split in the trail with a tree that you had to go left or right of, turned the wheels, didnt turn at all! Punched the gas, to try to slide it past the trees sideways, didnt work. Hit the tree head on, i flipped, quad was fine other than my $120 ironcross front bumper and snapped a bolt off in my frame where the bumper mounts. No biggy!

4. Same day, there was 6 2-3 foot high jumps that were made into a rythem section, and a 40 ft double on the other side of those about 50 ft past the rythem section. Doubled all the jumps in a form of double, double, double then went to hit the big double and cased it. Decided i would try it but in 4th instead of 3rd. (keep in mind it was icy, and snowy!) tried it again, tripple, tripple, got sideways on the landing of the 2nd tripple through the rythem section and tried the big double anyways, cased it harder and broke my right side of my rock nerf bars, threw me over the handlebars, onto a big pile of snow. (soft landing!)

5. On the foreman, going around the flat track, just shifted up into 3rd (like 18 mph, she is all time 4x4) took a hard right, spun completely around, slung me off, and it tipped over on its side. i LMAO while i was laying on the ground because i was going so slow i couldnt believe i wrecked.

6. On my other 400ex, i went to jump a creek jump (you couldnt roll over the creek jump it was decent sized) hit it too slow, rear end landed in the creek, held onto the handlebars but my feet were straight up and down, and my helmet was on the front bumper, somehow i pinned the throttle, it threw me backwords and i flipped off the back of the seat, quad rode it out. Nothing broke, just a good laugh, gosh it was soo funny once i got up. Me and buddies still laugh about that.

Thats about all i have had. LOL! hope someone got a laugh.

01boneless
10-01-2011, 09:11 AM
hit a big! single at the track and some how landed my knees on the grips ! lol hurt bad!!

HondaRacing83
10-01-2011, 10:40 AM
i rolled my old 250ex over in a field. caught a rock. did the same with my 400ex once. ive cased a lot of doubles. ive had my 400 straight up and down allot on wheelies. ive wrecked a yz250f pretty bad once. not to many that i can remember

honda400ex2003
10-01-2011, 12:27 PM
only had 1 crash in my 21 years of riding.

it was in July 3rd actually as some know, broke my right collar bone, right hand, fractured a rib, and broke my big toe on my left foot.

I had a major concussion and spent 3 days in the nearest head trauma center. had 3 big cuts on my head, 1 had 4 staples and the other 2 had 3 each.

It has been a long process of healing, my hand and my toe are still screwed up and will probably stay about what they are now for the rest of my life. im sure they will get a bit better but they wont be 100% any more.

glad ive only had 1, i have thousands of miles on snowmobiles, atvs, dirtbikes, cars, and anything else that moves on land or water.

steve

MX MaNiAc 06
10-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Came up short on a brand new 80' double in my back yard 1st time hitting it. Framed out right on the knuckle of the landing, went over the bars and flew about 15' to the bottom of the landing. Rolled around gasping for air and in pain for about a minute then checked out all my cuts, bruises and what not. Went to stand up and had a mean charlie horse. Reluctantly my quad landed on its wheels after flipping a couple times so i crawled onto it which hurt like hell. My stem was taco'd down to my gas tank so i couldnt ride back up to the house. So i called my dad to come get me and while i was waiting i called my boss. (had to be at work in about an hour) Told him i took a dirt sample and might not make it to work. By the time my dad got there i was hurting like hell so i insisted on going to the hospital. Turned out i had shattered my femur! Metal rod, 3 screws and 8 weeks til i was back on the quad again.

250rsforlife
10-01-2011, 12:55 PM
i did a wheelie and rode it for about 30 feet then saw the right front tire come off in air and thought to myself "this is gona hurt"

muddy400EX
10-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by 250rsforlife
i did a wheelie and rode it for about 30 feet then saw the right front tire come off in air and thought to myself "this is gona hurt"

lol that sux. really nothin you can do with that one,haha

HondaPohl
10-01-2011, 05:14 PM
1. HIt a jump on my old Tecate 4 which was so unstable in the air. Came down crooked and some how got my leg caught under the rear tire and screwed my ankle to hell.

2. Polaris predator wide open on a trail and hit a hugh rock in the ground that I thought I could go over. The handle bars jerked out of my hands and and I flew for a ride. Knocked the wind out of me and broke some ribs.

tayyo789
10-01-2011, 07:39 PM
-5 years old, riding my first quad (moto4), riding in a field near my house by myself one afternoon. I found a little ditch, feeling adventurous and invincible, I thought I could jump it. I'd seen my cousin do it before so I figured I could too. Cased it of course, bike flipped on top of me, I didn't know what to do at the time, and I was pinned under the bike. Luckily my neighbor looked outside and spotted me and came and flipped it off me. Parents never found out.

-When I was about 13, on my old 87 Warrior, I was riding some trails at the dunes. Thinking I was fast, not really paying attention to much except for maybe my roost, or whatever 13 year olds think about. Came around a corner to a Banshee with 2 people on it going the other way. Front left tire clipped theirs, luckily I had slowed down enough to not break anything, other than my pride.

-About a year later, second ride on my 400ex on some local trails. Was coming down a steep packed granite hill with about 3 foot deep ruts. Needed to slow down, but my back brakes didn't do much on the packed granite, so I chanced it and pulled the fronts. Accidently pulled too hard. You can imagine what happened next, and yes, it really hurt.

-Went on a night ride at the dunes when I was about 16, on my 440. Decided to climb a long steep dune that I had climbed many times before that day. Let off a little early, and had to downshift to try and crest the top. Lost too much momentum, tires kept spinning, headlights turned to the sky, I bailed off the back. Quad went flipping and bouncing, I went flipping and bouncing all the way to the bottom (about 100 feet or so). Luckily sand is fairly soft and it only bent my stock bars

-6 months later, same dunes, found a nice tree shot hillclimb, with a hairpin turn about halfway up around the base of a tree. I was last to climb it, and when I made the corner, my inside rear tire clipped the tree and pivoted the bike around the tree and threw it straight back down the hill. Still don't know how I rode that out, adrenaline is a funny thing.

-When I was 17 my dad let me take his DS650 on a trip to the dunes while my 400 was torn down to help build my hybrid. I was sidehilling about halfway up a decent sized dune and decided to turn up and climb it. Twist throttle stuck, rear tires dug a hole, flipped over backwards. I bailed off with some Olympic style flip thing so the heavy pig wouldn't crush me. My friends at the bottom all gave me 9's and 9.5's on my dismount. Quad landed on all wheels, rode it away.

-Now the most embarassing two were this summer. The first times I've ever wrecked my hybrid. First I was parked on top of a dune, for push starting purposes because I didn't have my hot starts down yet. I got off to adjust my chain, because my carrier kept spinning in my new swingarm. Left the bike in neutral so I could roll it back and forth to take tension off the chain so I could spin the carrier back. Got it all done, stood back to put my helmet back on, and when I pull it over my eyes, the bike goes rolling down the hill. When it reached the bottom of the dune, it turned sideways and flipped once. Nothing major damaged, just my pride once again. When people ask how my bike runs, I say "Great! Especially when I'm not on it!"

-Second was after I got a new clutch. I was showing off a bit in front of camp and did a wheelie. Shifted from first to second fine, but when I shifted into third, I didn't let off much and clutched it too hard. Needless to say, my new clutch works awesome! Flipped up vertically, but with a +8 swingarm, my grab bar doesn't stop it from flipping backwards. Tweaked my Precision Bar Clamps.

I've seen plenty of nasty wrecks, with lots of hospital visits, but luckily none have been me.

finsteratv
10-01-2011, 08:08 PM
never crashed my 4wheelers and nothing too major on my dirtbike. today in the dunes a ran out of power turning on a sand dune on my 125..no paddle..tipped over pinned by the bike and slid down the hill some. off to homecoming nice and sore :D

01boneless
10-01-2011, 08:10 PM
actullay when i think about it i have been to the hopital cause of my quad lol i was like jeez idk 11 i think on a little 110 quad full throttle in a filed 3rd gear pinned lol like 40 mph at the most and boom!!!! hit a log that had weeds around it so i couldent see it fliped to the side landed on my leg and fractured my knee lol bent my bars haha

DP #000
10-01-2011, 08:22 PM
rear elka shock blew out on the face of a 70 foot triple. did half a front flip, front fox shock snapped in half on my back, and i broke my neck. worst part was i was winning and it was the last lap :/

Pappy
10-02-2011, 07:41 AM
You guys should be more careful!

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/BEA9536/1156035405_nKoyM-XL.jpg

dxcody
10-02-2011, 09:29 AM
i am betting that, that didnt end well for that guy.

Hey at least if i am wreckin i know i am trying i dont wreck very often, its usually either when i first start riding, or when i feel like i am doing really good, and get a big head and start thinkin i am the god of quads! lol

crlt250r
10-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Was riding through simmer ditches in the old neighborhood, jumping driveways and culverts on my trx, had jumped at least 15-20, headed back to my house and gunned it to jump my driveway. Left rear caught the culvert pipe doing about 35-40... I went over the bars, landed in the road with two fractured ribs.
Bent stem, bars, axle, and trashed rim and tire.

Same bike, had my buddies gf on the back and went cut a couple donuts... She slipped off and got run over.... Beer and gas don't mix....

The lt250r, just broken in, hadn't gotten the brakes bled out yet, first time using a twist throttle, drove through the rotten privacy fence in the back yard LOL

DirtyBirdRacing
10-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
You guys should be more careful!

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/BEA9536/1156035405_nKoyM-XL.jpg

Umm... This takes skill... I dont think the average person could flip a utility like that...

DirtyBirdRacing
10-02-2011, 01:35 PM
1st quad I ever got was a 86 Yamaha Moto 4 ( I beat the hell out of this thing and it still runs today )

1st incident - There was construction for a road, so they put all of the dirt they were useing to smoth it out and fill pot holes with in a coal field. well after they took dirt from 1 side of the hill it made a slight slop but at the top of it it went 90* Straight up for about 5FT+ So i figured I could Make it to the top ( my buddy didnt think so) I got a running start at it and the front wheels got up on top of it, frame bottomed out and quad fell backwards I rode a wheele backwards all the day down the hill when i reached flat ground quad tipped back on me. handle bars landed on my chest nocking the air out of me and leveing a dark bruse on my chest.

2nd incident, I was pinned on a trail next to a road at night with only 1 working headlight, they had the end on the trail blocked off with BIG! steel drain pipe laying across the end so people couldnt get on/off that trail, well i knew that pipe was there was going as fast as i could and lost track of where i was on the trail, when i finaly noticed I locked up all the breaks, noticed i wasnt slowing down, and decided it was time to jump, My frind says I started to runb in the air, When i landed on the ground the force of me hitting made me do a front flip over the steel pipe and my moto4 took a head on hit goting near top speed, I was fine nothing wrong with me ( excet the dog crap i landed in not even kidding... :( Damage to quad - Broked headlights, and some front end plastics, but started and ran fine ^.^

3RD- say a creek with very litte water in the bottom and there was an old trail of people going down and up the other side, i decided that i was going to try it, went down the 1 side just fine, then when going up the other side i was to far left and my tire hit a little watter run off that was covered by weeds that i didnt notice. well quad rolled over with me, and landed on my head, Quad was holding my head under watter my friend was yelling asking if i was ok, (couldnt see that my head was under) Managed to get the quad off me head pretty fast before my friend was done comeing down the hill, and yeah one of the scarest ones iv had. I just laughed it off.

when I got my 400EX (my baby)

4TH - Was going in a straight away and decided that i wanted to power slide the turn that was comeign up, When i did I had to much forward movement and the quad picked up in to a wheelie and trough me off ( in winter so ground was frozen ) I landed on my right knee cap and fractured it

OH I forgot some Before I even owned any AVT
When i was the passanger on a utility we were going trough a creek and I went to re grip my hands ( wasnt wearing a helment (stupid)) and right when i loosened my grip on the rack my buddy gassed it i did a back flip off the rack in the the watter hitting my head on a rock, he looked back as im laying in the creek still holding on with 1 arm and I just old him to grag me out of the watter ( during a storm so it was pretty fast moving lol )

and thats is so far... lol Once I get my quad back together im sure there will be more to add to the list.