PDA

View Full Version : If i toast my clutch???

TheLane
09-30-2011, 06:58 PM
(burnt up the fibers)

I know its necessary to change the oil and the filters of course, but should i worry about excess fibers circulating through my motor?

Scro
09-30-2011, 07:07 PM
This is the last time I'm going to move your threads to the proper section. If you're asking a technical question about atv's, it belongs in a section other than the Open forum.

400exrip
09-30-2011, 07:38 PM
They always say to change the oil regularly to keep the clutch fibers out, But most of the time clutch fibers Is only real bad when you have fresh clutches in your motor cause it is breakin them new clutches in,

But I don't think it is that bad for the motor unless you have a high dollar race motor, Now then I would be a bit concerned about keeping it changed more often and keep a close eye on it.

Most of the time when I put in New Clutches I run the motor with the fresh oil for about 30 minuets using the clutch as much as I can in that 30 minuets, to get them broke in real good after the 30 minuets is up change the oil with fresh oil and filter then it should be ready to rock & roll.

After the 2nd or 3rd oil changes the clutch fibers should not be in the motor oil that bad anymore, Most of the time the oil filter will catch most of it, But remember it matters about how much you clutch your bike, And if you race the type of racing you do some people clutch less than others, And some riders go through a set of clutches every 5 races,

Me personally I go through a set of clutches about every race season. Then change them out just to have fresh clutches for next year.

But if you don't race I would just keep the same clutch fibers and steals in the motor till they are wore out. Or if you start feeling the clutch start to slip when pulling off in first gear, Yep it's time to change them.

chronicsmoke
10-13-2011, 08:01 AM
I fried my clutch this spring, and it was ****ked.. Couldnt engage AT ALL. It took me 4 times to flush the fibers out. I just used cheap oil, threw it in, started it, drained it, repeat. I could still smell burnt clutch in the 3rd oil change and the oil was a grayish colour.. I replaced fibers and plates.