PDA

View Full Version : what to do in the off season

redonkulousruntsracing
09-29-2011, 10:25 PM
My 7 year old son wants to race. All the time. We have only been at it for 4 years. We live up in Northern New York. We race District 3 which goes from April 4th to October 31st. He will wrap up the championship in the 50 production class this weekend. We hit a few Nationals each season. Next year we are considering running the NEATV series . Race season is almost over and he is already bugging me about finding places for him to race over the winter. We ride snowmobiles and he has been asking if he could race those. He wants to be a Pro Quad Racer in the future. I know kids who ride on 2 wheels have more opportunity to ride year round if they go south. What to the Pro Quad guys do on the off season, they don't have a Supercross series like the bikes do? The wife asked me if we should consider moving somewhere that my son could ride/race more. I just don't know what else there is besides the Outdoor MX for us quad guys. Any thoughts?

Kovatch
09-30-2011, 05:52 AM
Most of the Pros that live in the north will head to Florida in January for a month or so to start riding. It used to be the Pros would be down there for a while, when you had more factory sponsors. I know a whole group of amatuers that will be going down there towards the middle of January. For many, you aren't doing a lot of riding, but more working out and cardio. With your son only being 7, it is hard to really have him working out, but cardio isn't that harmful (as weightlifting is).

Living in warmer weather is definitely beneficial for him as a rider. Anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon seems to be more appealing to the rider year round - North Carolina, Tenn, etc. Although there are more opportunies with bikes, you have to consider that every bike race you have 2-4 qualifiers to get anywhere, so it may take a little more effort and money to head to Loretta's.

We have two indoor MX facilities here in Northern Ohio: NEMX & ..... I'm drawing a blank, but the other is in Elyria/Lorain, Ohio. Tough decisions, but if y'all can get a job down south and it pays, it may be worth it. He lives out his dreams and hopefully you get paid more. If your wife is on-board, you are half way there.

SSQSA Racing
10-08-2011, 04:45 AM
Come to Florida.
We are doing a short winter series.
The series is Sunshine State Quad Series (SSQSA) and you will see many top level guys here.
Check out the Website.
http://www.ssqsa.net

earlywine
10-27-2011, 05:55 PM
It'd be a bit of a haul, but we have an Indoor Winter Series in Maysville, KY. We race ATVs on their own weekend and have alot of kids classes. Our website is www.earlywineracing.com
Hope you can make it down sometime!