PDA

View Full Version : what to do when race season is over

redonkulousruntsracing
09-29-2011, 10:18 PM
My 7 year old son wants to race. All the time. We have only been at it for 4 years. We live up in Northern New York. We race District 3 which goes from April 4th to October 31st. We hit a few Nationals each season. Next year we are considering running the NEATV series . Race season is almost over and he he already bugging me about finding places for him to race over the winter. We ride snowmobiles and he has been asking if he could race those. He wants to be a Pro Quad Racer in the future. I know kids who ride on 2 wheels have more opportunity to ride year round if they go south. What to the Pro Quad guys do on the off season, they don't have a Supercross series like the bikes do? The wife asked me if we should consider moving somewhere that my son could ride/race more. I just don't know what else there is besides the Outdoor MX for us quad guys. Any thoughts?

greenmachine70
09-30-2011, 05:44 AM
Move to Florida. We race at Dade City MX and our season starts mid January and ends late November. There are several tracks in Central Florida that you can hit on off nights as well for the same period of time. Those are points series, but there is racing every Saturday night somewhere.

chunky0071
09-30-2011, 07:00 AM
We live in north GA and there is racing year around with a couple hr drive.

dewutfan
09-30-2011, 08:58 AM
Just like Chunky said i live in east tenn and we can just about race year round here with indoor winter racing series we ride 11 months out of there year here ..but we can travel 2 hrs and race year round also ... So move SOUTH lol good luck ....

kfx450
10-01-2011, 03:17 AM
i would look for an indoor series. we have several indoor facilities in ohio or surrounding states.

fomospede
10-01-2011, 05:23 AM
racing is our blood too
but we hang it up and go skiiing and go moutain biking
there are a couple nice indoor mtb places here made from old menards buildings
good variety!
raysmtb.com check it out

Logan #34's Dad
10-02-2011, 07:32 PM
I realize he says he wants to race ALL the time, but be careful of burn out. I've coached kids long enough that some that I had as kids have graduated. Dang! I'm getting old! Anyhow, some of the best young athletes I've coached ended up not playing throughout high school because they just got tired of all the pressure and hype.
Your child's situation may be different but something to think about.
Logan does wrestling in the winter but thinks about racing ALL the time.

redonkulousruntsracing
10-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Rocky, I do get where you are coming from. When I sense that he isn't having fun and trying his best, then we take a week off.
So far winter has been snowbiling time for him and I. We average 1500 miles a season. He loves being out on the trails almost as much as me.
Really I was wondering if and where people go in the winter to get away and go ride. We used to have an indoor motocross facility about 4 hours from us, but the roof collapsed during a huge snow storm last winter and I don't think it was rebuilt.

edwardsp&b
10-03-2011, 07:57 AM
We ride every day down here. It being the south we are big into football right now, but motocross never leaves Bens mind. He rides after homework everyday before football practice.

Move down south, we need more atv riders down here anyway. Although, we are going through a little cold snap for us here right now. Yesterday it was a high of 72, what was it in New York or Ohio yesterday? LOL
I love the south!

Bryan

nastynotchback1
10-03-2011, 08:05 AM
Same here.We can race every weekend around here somewhere.We don't because of burnout but Tanner is always thinking about racing.He does ride 2-3 times a week.

redonkulousruntsracing
10-03-2011, 08:07 AM
Saturday it was 40 and raining, yesterday it warmed up to 52. My son is already thinking about winter.

coffing918
10-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by redonkulousruntsracing
Rocky, I do get where you are coming from. When I sense that he isn't having fun and trying his best, then we take a week off.
So far winter has been snowbiling time for him and I. We average 1500 miles a season. He loves being out on the trails almost as much as me.
Really I was wondering if and where people go in the winter to get away and go ride. We used to have an indoor motocross facility about 4 hours from us, but the roof collapsed during a huge snow storm last winter and I don't think it was rebuilt.

mototown USA was rebuilt but as an outdoor mx park its a shame because that is where we also did our winter riding, the artical said that place was the size of 3 football stadiums! my kids love it there,, but it sure was cold inside! i really wish they would rebuild the inside track!

go to durhamtown town mx,, in GA this place is great, its just a huge mx and trail riding place, u dont have to wait to get on the many many different tracks u just get right on them with who ever is riding, we went b4 the GA national and my son was riding on the track at the same exact time with Chad Weinen and John Nataile its a fun place!
http://www.durhamtown.com/

edwardsp&b
10-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Yep, Durhamtown is where we started this long and expensive rollercoaster we call racing......Great place to hang out and have fun.
Bryan

nastynotchback1
10-03-2011, 02:03 PM
We started and still race durhamtown.They take care of the kids pretty darn good through out the year and really good at the awards banquet at the end of the season.We have pretty good turnouts and everyone gets along great.Can't ask for anything more.

Coley'sdad#8
10-04-2011, 07:03 AM
I am with Rocky 105%
We ran TN motocross Assoc. Series hard for 2 years and got some Championships, yadda, yadda, yadda, worked on bikes during the week till dark, looked back over the year and we noticed we had only had the boat out 2wice, the farm was getting neglected, dogs didn't recognize us anymore,
been camping 0ero and I was getting burned out.
Finished the 2010 season with some championships and Coley and I had a good talk about racing the races WE wanted 2 instead of racing the series and playing alot more. Kids get fixed on one activity that is fun to them but there are many other doors for them to explore that they don't know about and that is where the parent comes in with a variety. Go do something off the wall like deep sea fishing:blah: