PDA

View Full Version : Need to know what mini's are the smallest.

airmobile101
09-29-2011, 06:35 PM
I know, it sounds stupid,but my 4 year old daughter wants to start racing. And...... she is tiny. Don't need a built bike. Just a small 50cc that she will be able to control. The Suzuki 2 stroke LT50 looks small enough, but I know those things are turds. Anything else thats somewhat the same size that I can build on as her skills improve. Gonna use it for XC racing.:D

Christiansdad
09-29-2011, 07:17 PM
I wouldnt shoot towards raptor 50. They are a ways from where they run with anything. Those drr's are the better atv for kids. My kid was riding his POS panther 110 at 3..then went to the modded eton 90 2 stroke(to Fast) back down to a apex 50. Eton was a nice deal but had the single a arms. I think they might have made a eton 50 2 stroke if you can find them. But for future modding have a cutting torch, grinder, and a great welder because its impossible to almost find anything aftermarket for it and XC single a arms dont matter..The big jumps with no travel are what breaks them..got the money get a drr 50

leager-n-ky
09-29-2011, 07:32 PM
If i had it to do all over again, i would have spent the money up front and bought the Cobra and been done with it, instead i built three Typhoons, by the time you spend the money to upgrade, and build one, you can find nice, already built bikes for about the same price, just used. The Drr's, have aftermarket parts for any and everything so they would also be a good choice. just my .02

airmobile101
09-29-2011, 08:32 PM
Guys, guys, guys.......... I need a beginner bike that is small. Not worried about the HP at the moment. Just need something that she can race for a year in a stock 50cc class, but that has something MAYBE to upgrade in the future. If not, I buy something else. What about a Predator 50cc 2-stroke? Bone stock with just the required kill tether.

redonkulousruntsracing
09-29-2011, 10:01 PM
My son started riding at 2 1/2 on a Kazuma Meerkat 50. Sure it was a turd, but it was small and it fit him. He learned the basics of riding on it. At 3 I got him an 03 Can Am DS 50. It wasn't a racer but it got him thru for a couple years. By the time he was 5 he got his first Apex 50. On his Can Am he was only 38 inches tall and weighed 35 lbs. Get a quad she fits on and can reach all the controls. I am not a DRR guy but they do fit a small rider better. Good luck.

airmobile101
09-29-2011, 11:33 PM
Trust me, I would love to get a Red Cat, but that chit wont last the first race. I know, I seen one in action one time and it was flat out embarassing, It didn't even finish the race.:(

nordic quad
09-30-2011, 12:17 AM
Ok i do not know What names some off these are sold under in the US.But this is the smallest ones i think Starting by the fastest one.

http://www.standardmoto.com/sk3-50.htm

http://www.atvrideronline.com/quads/100_0502_2005_unison_atv_buy_guide/index.html

http://even.en.ec21.com/ATV_minikolt_50--2_1341728.html

The Predator 50 is a lill bigger than the others,and the older 2 stroke is the best choice.

Stein A

Rich243
09-30-2011, 01:32 AM
I have seen a couple of the LEM quads around that are at least 1/3 smaller than the my sons Drr. My son started on a Kymco 50 that was smaller than the Drr but not as small as the LEM 50's. The kymco was a great machine for him to learn on.

leager-n-ky
09-30-2011, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by airmobile101
Guys, guys, guys.......... I need a beginner bike that is small. Not worried about the HP at the moment. Just need something that she can race for a year in a stock 50cc class, but that has something MAYBE to upgrade in the future. If not, I buy something else. What about a Predator 50cc 2-stroke? Bone stock with just the required kill tether.

HA HA, Good luck with that. Thats how we all started, then 4 or 5 races later you start thinking Hmmmm, my kid is kinda fast, maybe they need some shocks $ 1,500, 2 or 3 races later, WOW, That really helped, maybe my kid needs some more HP $ 1,500 more......LOL It never stops. Then your gonna say, WOW That fat guy from KY was right,.... Keep us posted, We ALL suffer from this same disease..

greenmachine70
09-30-2011, 05:46 AM
Stop wasting time. You said the word "RACE" if you are going to race then you need a DRR or Apex. Since Apex is not selling new quads right now get the DRR it is a little smalleer than the apex anyways. Shave the seat, get a set of cr low bend bars and put blocks on the foot wells if you have too. We have 4yr olds racing DRR 50's at our track and one is a little girl. If you buy a china quad you will NOT want to race it they will fall apart and they are too narrow.

nastynotchback1
09-30-2011, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by greenmachine70
Stop wasting time. You said the word "RACE" if you are going to race then you need a DRR or Apex. Since Apex is not selling new quads right now get the DRR it is a little smalleer than the apex anyways. Shave the seat, get a set of cr low bend bars and put blocks on the foot wells if you have too. We have 4yr olds racing DRR 50's at our track and one is a little girl. If you buy a china quad you will NOT want to race it they will fall apart and they are too narrow.

NUFF SAID:D

DAVYS DAD
09-30-2011, 06:21 AM
LEM IS A smaller STARTER quad.I started 3 of my boys on one,got it in2005 for my first boy when he was 2 1/2 and it still runs GREAT.LEM made 2 50cc quads the condor and caymen.I bought the condor had 3 boys pound the piss out of it and it lasted,Istill have it and am glad I bought it.Condor doesnt have much ground clearance for XC but its a great STARTER BIKE.

chunky0071
09-30-2011, 06:57 AM
The LT50 2 stroke is a great bike Get the Ct racing kit for it and does a lot better. Thats what my son started with. The CT kit and a little port and clutch work and they pull strong. for under a 1000 you can have a nice reliable quad for XC. It's not all ways the fastest in the woods that win.

mcwilly
09-30-2011, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by greenmachine70

AGREED!
Get a DRR 50. We put foot peg extenders (rasing the foot pegs) for our 5yo when he started racing. Before we got the DRR, he started/learned on a Chinese "knockoff" quad....you do NOT want to race (at least on a serious/competitive level) on one of those.....my son broke two a-arms on it when he started to learn to jump. The stock form of a 50 is slow enough to begin and progress with.

airmobile101
09-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Yea...... I know I said race. lol I have seen a few LEM's on craigslist before. And, I might just do the DRR, just want to see what else is out there.

gistmarrs
09-30-2011, 11:20 AM
I would buy a used Cobra 50. Adjust it to her ability as she gets faster. Then when she wants to jump up a class in a few years pop in a 70cc motor. A few years after that, pop in a 90cc motor. You can go from 5 to 15 on that same bike.

Cheers,
Marrs

greenmachine70
09-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Go to Dade City Motocross website and look thru the quad pics. You can see what a 4yr old looks like on a drr. Cant miss her, its pink and she has a pink helmet hawk.
I missed what price range you are in. If you want to race mx you wont go wrong and yes you will get addicted like we all have and dump a ton of money into it.
If you want to spend $7-$8k then get a new cobra.
I say DRR is your best bet. If you do what I said in first post she will fit the quad nicely. When she grows a little, get a 70cc kit for little to nothing and later you could go all out and put a 2fast 90 on it and whoop the cobras.

fastrnrik
09-30-2011, 03:48 PM
A DRR is a good choice for a small kid. Easy to make fit a small kid & tame down for new riders, easy to upgrade, and easy to get parts for.

I would disagree that a Cobra is the best choice for a small, new rider. I wouldn't suggest that at all. Cobra's aren't designed to be a "learner" bike. A new kid who is timid and is on/off the throttle will cook the clutch in no time. Not to mention, the average "new" kid on a Cobra would be scared to death when it gets on the pipe and revs to the moon LOL. If you really want a Cobra I may be selling our 50. It's very nice, but we just never use it.

As far as the Cobra being able to run 50/70/90 motors, the DRR/Apex can do the same thing. No bike is going to survive from 5 to 15 anyway LOL

o4twinpeaks
09-30-2011, 05:56 PM
We did the eton viper 50 and it fit him well at 4yr old. Upgraded to a wrh 70 engine when he turned 6 and went to and apex now that he is 7. He fits they apex good but will be going to a blaster after the 2012 season. Right now he is 130lbs 4'8" tall and is almost 8.

Still have the eton. pm me if interested or call or text 410 808 4658

mcwilly
10-01-2011, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by o4twinpeaks
Right now he is 130lbs 4'8" tall and is almost 8.

What?!?! That's the biggest 7yo I've ever heard of! Wow, what'r you feeding that kid? :eek2: Get that kid on a 450 :D

o4twinpeaks
10-01-2011, 09:46 AM
I know. That's why we have to keep building better engines to keep him at the top of his class. He towers over all the kids in his 2nd grade class by about a foot.

redonkulousruntsracing
10-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Guys, listen to what the man is asking. Cobras and 2Fast 90's are not what he needs. A DRR would probably be his best choice. I know most of the kids that we race with all started with their Can Am, Arctic Cat, Polaris and Suzuki 50's. Now they aren't "race" quads, but for XC, they would be great beginner quads for his daughter. Cheap, reliable and easy to maintain. Good luck with whatever you do.

dgmiller
10-02-2011, 09:50 PM
my 5 year old is racing a drr 50 in the iatvhss series and loving it he's getting faster every race. when he was 4 he was riding a honda 90 it was great i put it in what gear i wanted he couldn't shift by himself. lol

airmobile101
10-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by redonkulousruntsracing
Guys, listen to what the man is asking. Cobras and 2Fast 90's are not what he needs. A DRR would probably be his best choice. I know most of the kids that we race with all started with their Can Am, Arctic Cat, Polaris and Suzuki 50's. Now they aren't "race" quads, but for XC, they would be great beginner quads for his daughter. Cheap, reliable and easy to maintain. Good luck with whatever you do.
Yes sir! Still looking at the moment. I got awhile since its gonna be a x-mas gift.

EthansDad
10-04-2011, 07:46 AM
I think you have plenty of good advice here, but here is my $.02 for the record.

get a DRR 50, if you are thinking one day you'd like to get her on a track. you'll save a ton of money over modding up something else, its also SAFER for beginner riders being as wide as it is in stock form.

I started BOTH of my kids young on very little yard quads so they can get the basics down. once they started riding with some confidence, its off to a DRR.

I've had my 4 yr old girl on a DRR no problem. put risers on the pegs (you want 2-3 inches between their crotch and seat when they stand), drop levers and it fits the smallest frame kids very nice. I also use the a/c motor and older (1 piece) 50cc pipe with 16mm carb. that is a GREAT learner motor setup. I can limit the throttle with the stop screw effectively to their speed. they can "putt-putt" it around no prob, but if they open it up, it will go!

the good thing, for around $1000 (thinking used older DRR 50??) they can increase their skills to the point where they can take that setup on a local track and have hope of keeping up with the pack and finishing the race. we ran on stock motor and stock shocks for a long time - its a good setup to get from beginner to go-fast.

airmobile101
10-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Yea, I'm leaning towards the DRR for the simple fact there are alot of parts for it and support. New or used, either will do. So what do they run for brand new? And how much to ship one since there are no dealers around here?

EthansDad
10-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Sounds like you need a dealer. As your doing all this checking before you buy, I'd recommend taking it one step more. Figure out where you would be racing this (one day) and get on that tracks forum or just show up to watch one weekend. Ask around where the guys are buying, or if anyone is supporting/selling parts trackside.

You're going to need help with this thing eventually, so buy local and buy with someone you think might be able to help you at the track one day.