PDA

View Full Version : Carb issues

dudemc
09-29-2011, 12:32 PM
A friend of mine has a 99 big bear 350 starting not running right on him he took the carb apart cleaned it and it still doesn't run right. He said the only way it runs somewhat right is to run the a/f screw all the way in.

xtreme762
09-09-2012, 09:56 AM
My BB350 had the same issue. The problem was the carb needed taken completely apart and dunked in a 1 gallon can of Chemtool. You can get a gallon can of it from Autozone for around $30, and it can be reused 100's of times for the same thing and many others.

You have to take the carb COMPLETELY apart though. If you get Chemtool on any of the plastic parts, the Chemtool will melt it. Let the carb sit over night in the Chemtool, and rinse it off with warm water the next day.

Take a can of carb cleaner and spray a little in a old spray paint cap and put the jets in that over night. When you pull the jets out the next day, spay them down, inside and out, with the carb cleaner. Then put everything back together, cleaning any remaining carbon and junk off with a rag as you put it back together.

When you put the pilot screw back in, set it to 2 1/8 turns out, and leave it there. If none of this works, then you need to get a carb rebuild kit, which will come with a new needle valve and seat. It costs $35 for the whole kit I think.

Another thing that I figured out. The right spark plug solves A LOT of problems with what seems like carb problems.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: WOW, just noticed this thread is a year old! :macho :D