PDA

View Full Version : Autocad

250x_kyle
09-29-2011, 12:11 PM
to all the auto cad guys. havnet used cad in so long but i had to draw a quick blueprint up on it. my question is i drew this up in 1/8th inch = 1'-0" i can get my text the right size for dimensions.

patrickj75
09-29-2011, 12:30 PM
You have to set your DIMSCALE to 96.

wilkin250r
09-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Ok, you're talking about the visual aspects of the text, right? The actual dimensions are correct, you just can't read it?

Click the "Dimension" in the menu bar, and near the bottom, you'll see "Dimension Style", and that will bring up the dimension style manager. (Or, you can type "dimstyle" on the command line).

On the Dimension style manager, click "Modify"

You'll have several tabs in the style manager, click "Fit".

On the right hand side, click the selection for "Use overall scale of: " and change that value.

This will change the size of the text, arrows, lines, centermarks, leaders, and everything associated with the dimensions, but it won't actually change the VALUE of the dimensions.

If I misunderstood your problem, and you actually want to change the value of the dimensions and the scale, let me know, there is an easy way to do that as well.

wilkin250r
09-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Alternatively, patrickj75 is also correct, that's the shortcut. When you do my method, AutoCAD will go into it's own internal workings and change it's own internal variable "Dimscale" to whatever value you set in the Dimension Style Manager. It might indeed be 96, like patrick says.

You can also just set that variable directly by typing "DIMSCALE" into the command line, and it will bring up the current value, and you can keep it there or enter a new value directly.

Personally, although it's longer, I think it's easier to understand the method that I posted because you see the whole process and the other changes you can make.

250x_kyle
09-29-2011, 08:45 PM
thanks guys it been a while since using cad i mainly used solid works and master cam these days.

finsteratv
09-30-2011, 08:27 AM
we're starting CAD in a few weeks in my engineering class (9th grade) so it moves along prettttttyyy slow with some of the people in there.......any tips?

250x_kyle
09-30-2011, 03:04 PM
since your just begginning you wont be into 3d for a while. does the teacher go along in a book that has drawings and tutorials in it or does he do his own stuff? if he goes along with a book just work ahead a little bit. you will learn new commands and have better control on how to use different tools by doing so. have to have an idea of what your working with to give any major tips.

ben300
09-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
we're starting CAD in a few weeks in my engineering class (9th grade) so it moves along prettttttyyy slow with some of the people in there.......any tips?

if you learn to use Pro-E, which is now Creo....you can use anything

finsteratv
09-30-2011, 09:49 PM
alrighty because we're going to be designing 3D shapes.