PDA

View Full Version : kickers hard to start?

01boneless
09-28-2011, 09:31 PM
ok so this 05 kicker im gonna go look at is nice just needs a raditaor. now the concern is that he said he heard you have to push start R's alot? he has never started it becuase he has only had it a week and it needs a rad he dosent want to burn it up. so concer is do you have to push start them alot? are they hard to start cold? hard to start hot lol? thanks guys if it wasent a kicker id know all about it but i dont lol :D

hondarider421
09-28-2011, 11:49 PM
i have a kicker and when jetted right mine starts first kick every time just make sure the jetting is good valves are close to right as possible and the decompression arm is good and ull never have prob

Pacheco_450r
09-29-2011, 01:16 AM
Mine starts first kick every time too never had a problem, and that's with being a small guy and having a higher comp piston. You'll be fine.

chronicsmoke
09-29-2011, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Pacheco_450r
Mine starts first kick every time too never had a problem, and that's with being a small guy and having a higher comp piston. You'll be fine.

^^ Yep, I'm with those two.

with a 13:1 HC piston I hit the choke, one kick and she purrs like a kitten. I've only ever had a problem starting it after I stalled out in a corner when the bike was HOT, but I was on my 5-6 lap too, so she was more than warm. I never touch my hotstart either. I'll never buy one with a battery ever again.

Scro
09-29-2011, 06:20 AM
The 450r is extremely easy to start, as long as the valves are adjusted properly. If they are out of adjustment, yes, you will be pushing it off alot. Adjusting the valves should be part of your regular maintenance.

For the record, when you put a higher compression piston in, it's not going to get any harder to kick. The decompression mechanism on the cam relieves alot of the compression until the motor is running, for easier starts.

Ruf Racing
09-29-2011, 07:49 AM
I have to agree with these guys. As far as using the hot start, on my bike it is a must for starting when hot. ;)

01boneless
09-29-2011, 08:50 AM
ok thanks guys!!!

hondarider421
09-29-2011, 08:53 AM
Just a lil heads up on the only starting probs was the electric starts cause the gears to the starter would bind up and u have to rock it back amd forth to free them up just saying

400exrider707
09-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Mine was always a bear to start when it got down near 0 degrees, even with good jetting and the valve clearances in check. I used to check them a lot since I was swapping cams back and forth almost on a weekly basis trying new combos out. If I put it in a garage for a few hours it would fire right up though.

Scro
09-29-2011, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Mine was always a bear to start when it got down near 0 degrees, even with good jetting and the valve clearances in check. I used to check them a lot since I was swapping cams back and forth almost on a weekly basis trying new combos out. If I put it in a garage for a few hours it would fire right up though.

It usually doesn't get below 20-25 down here. ;)

ah665
09-29-2011, 07:06 PM
I have an 05 and just like the guys above said, it starts 1st kick almost every time, hot or cold. It's pretty amazing actually. I have a brand new YZ250F and it doesn't even start as effortless as the R does (not saying anything bad about the YZ but the R is just that impressive).