PDA

View Full Version : Raptor 250 vs raptor 125

jay67
09-28-2011, 02:20 PM
I was just wondering if anyone knew the difference between these two? I know the motor size but how about chassis, after market parts, arms, swingarms, and etc... Also who is building the 125 motors and where do you get parts for them? Im thinking of building a 125 for my son. It will be his first shifter so any info would be great. Thanks

Quinn4
09-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Just my 2 cents but in the latest issue of dirtwheels they do a full build up of a raptor 125.
They spent a ton of money on it and the conclusion was that it simply isn't worth it.
Id just get the 250, but if you want to pursue the build up I'd grab issue and check it out.
It covers literally everything elkas, hypers and engine work you name it.

T@AFP
09-29-2011, 09:41 AM
I have been spending a bunch of time R&Ding the 125's.
The chassis are similiar between the two. However, depending on a few other factors there is a significant difference.
Meaning, depending on your riders weight, style and what racing riding you plan on doing will change the set up of the two machines.

We are building (5) 125's and (1) 250 for the GNCC next year. The 125's will have a +1.5" wider A arm. Where the 250 will have +2".
The swinger length on the 125 will be stock. But the 250 will have a + ?.

I can tell you a stock 125 is a turd. We are doing a few engine mods for the last few rounds of GNCC. Then in winter we will try some other ideas. But, for XC you don't require a crazy fast engine as you will for MX.

Overall, it appears to be a solid machine. WAY different than the mini CVT challenges.

I will be posting some things on our builds soon.

dgmiller
12-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by T@AFP
I have been spending a bunch of time R&Ding the 125's.
The chassis are similiar between the two. However, depending on a few other factors there is a significant difference.
Meaning, depending on your riders weight, style and what racing riding you plan on doing will change the set up of the two machines.

We are building (5) 125's and (1) 250 for the GNCC next year. The 125's will have a +1.5" wider A arm. Where the 250 will have +2".
The swinger length on the 125 will be stock. But the 250 will have a + ?.

I can tell you a stock 125 is a turd. We are doing a few engine mods for the last few rounds of GNCC. Then in winter we will try some other ideas. But, for XC you don't require a crazy fast engine as you will for MX.

Overall, it appears to be a solid machine. WAY different than the mini CVT challenges.

I will be posting some things on our builds soon.

any updates on your builds?

T@AFP
12-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Sorry I haven't been adding much to this.
We been kinda busy.....Deer hunting, Thanksgiving....You know.

I did post this one on the other XC 125 we did: http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=475054&perpage=10&pagenumber=3

We're now on to the 250.
I've wanted to be able to put the Fox Evols on the XC version for several reason. So, it's been a challenge to get the numbers to work out correctly on a shorter a arm with a 16" shock. But, I think we have it......finally.
These are some rough pics of the arms going together. During the assembly phase. Fitting all the tubes and working out the numbers for the gusetts. We have to be able to duplicate these
EXACTLY for each set made and sold.

FYI, these A arms take 48 operations to make.

Obviously, the arms aren't near completed. But I wanted to show you the progress.

T@AFP
12-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Another pic of Raptor 250 XC A arm

T@AFP
12-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Pic of Raptor 250 XC swinger in progress for 100# rider.

Hooligan
12-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Tom, phenomenal work on the swinger and a-arms, I've never seen anything like them!

Does anyone else know if all the bolt ons are interchangeable with the 125 and 250, or any other "tricks" to set up a 125 for a better ride?

I just picked my son up 125 (I tried to talk him out of it), but I hate how high the COG and how narrow these things are, so if I can safely widen this without spending a fortune I'd be very pleased! lol I've heard that the 250 a-arms will work, and that even maybe a stock yfz CDI will add some power to these...any truth??

We have/had Apex, DRRs, YFZs (among the other utes and SXS), so I have a bunch of parts laying around and should be able to mod them if anyone can give me a starting point.

Thanks!

T@AFP
12-20-2011, 06:51 AM
Here are some more photo's of the Raptor 250 parts we made.
We're off to powder coat but I wanted to show you the "raw" parts first. I did notice while taking these pics. we forgot to put the bungs on for the chain guide. But They'll be on there before they are powder coated.

T@AFP
12-20-2011, 06:52 AM
+2.5 Raptor 250 XC version

T@AFP
12-20-2011, 07:01 AM
Thank you for the compliment. We try to produce good stuff.
I wanted to let you know that we are running the YFZ450 rev box on our 125 and gained over 1000 rpm's more, than the stock 125 box.
In stock form. The Raptor 125 and 250 are the same width. The difference is the 250 has a wider front rim. Which makes it wider.

Originally posted by Hooligan
Tom, phenomenal work on the swinger and a-arms, I've never seen anything like them!

Does anyone else know if all the bolt ons are interchangeable with the 125 and 250, or any other "tricks" to set up a 125 for a better ride?

I just picked my son up 125 (I tried to talk him out of it), but I hate how high the COG and how narrow these things are, so if I can safely widen this without spending a fortune I'd be very pleased! lol I've heard that the 250 a-arms will work, and that even maybe a stock yfz CDI will add some power to these...any truth??

We have/had Apex, DRRs, YFZs (among the other utes and SXS), so I have a bunch of parts laying around and should be able to mod them if anyone can give me a starting point.

Thanks!

Hooligan
12-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Oh cool, maybe I'll upgrade my YFZ CDI and give him my stocker for the 125 ha ha

Thanks for the info.

dgmiller
12-28-2011, 02:29 AM
I am going to put a hmf exhaust and a GYTR intake kit on my daughter's 125 my question is will the stock Carb work OK until I can get a different one? I was reading that the stock Carb isn't big enough. She will be racing xc

jweidner
12-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Hey DGmiller,

The stock carb has a vacuum operated slide that sometimes can be difficult to work with when doing engine mods.

Anywhere from a 25 to a 29MM should work well. The stock carb is the same as the 250 raptor so it is big enough.

Any questions let me know,
Thanks,
J Weidner

jay67
01-03-2012, 10:02 AM
What is the best oil to run un the 125s? also what can you do to the motor to gain some more power? Thanks

jweidner
01-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Hi Jay67,

Oil is a science all to its own, many people have different opinions, but my thinking is I change it out every single race so I don't buy the top of the line oil. I run yamalube 10/40 in cold weather and 20/50 in hot weather. Every application is different, but for the raptor 125 with out an oil filter I would change it every race.

What type of racing are you doing, many different bolt on parts available. Carb,cam,exhaust and ignition are the biggest bolt on gains.

Thanks,
Jason Weidner

dgmiller
01-03-2012, 06:20 PM
We race xc I'm wondering what tires have people had luck with? What sizes also? I have a friend that has some hipers and some itp tires off his sons Yamaha 250 and just wondering if there going to be to much.

jay67
01-04-2012, 07:12 AM
We are going to run mx with it, I have a comp hmf pipe with at modified airbox lid. What kind of carb and ingition are people running.

quaddad#123
01-04-2012, 05:08 PM
we run the HMF pipe, no Airbox Lid, Pro Com cdi, Uni Filter and we also cut the backfire screen out of the Airbox. It helped wake it up alittle, in the future we plan on a 12.1 Piston.

jweidner
01-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Quaddad#123,

I can help with the 12:1 pistons.. have them in stock. anything in 26MM to 29MM range would due, depending upon engine combination.

Procom CDI is a safe box to run, I have run a YFZ 450 box before and am going to run it again this year.

HMF pipe is a very good pipe, very well built, however looking into different headpipe combination to work better in MX.

I believe that when HMF designed this pipe they had only a few performance parts to work with and they designed a pipe around that. Now that you are able to do more to the engines, I think pipe design may need to be changed.. this is only my personal opinion.

Thanks,
Jason Weidner

dgmiller
01-16-2012, 02:10 PM
where is the best place to buy a jet kit for these carbs? i noticed HMF was on back order. any information on getting this stock carb to work with new pipe and air box lid off. thanks

jweidner
01-16-2012, 06:56 PM
DGmilller,

Were you looking to purchase a PE28MM and cable. I'll check, but I'm sure I can get everything. I have 2 in stock, but they are for customers, I check tomorrow for availability.

Rear tire size you would be looking for 18x8-10x8. I tend to go with ITP and something on the smaller size due to weight.

Front tires Stick with something around the same size that it comes with stock. ITP Quadcross MX lites 19x6x10 don't look bad.

I try to stay away from anything too wide and heavy, most manufacturers will include the weight of the tires (2 or 4 ply)

Thanks,
Jason Weidner

dgmiller
01-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Not really wanting to change the Carb unless its really a have to situation I'd rather spend that money on suspension and get Carb later if possible. I have a buddy that has some itp Gucci tires with hipers off his sons 250 but there 20 in the rear I no there heavy but there like new and cheap

walty
05-06-2012, 09:20 AM
good info here
which yfz450 cdi box do we need to run the 125 and what king of gain i should see??