PDA

View Full Version : holeshot problems

tyler70t
09-26-2011, 06:52 PM
After putting a full year of racing (about 20 races) on our top end I did a compression check because it appeared to be losing power. Did the same check 2 times and the guage read 155lbs each time. Held the throttle wide open and kicked til the guage stopped going up.
Now I need to try and figure out why theis thing won't come out of the holeshot anymore.
Rollers and spring have been the same set-up for a while,I just freshened them up when it seemed like they needed to be.
I am leaning towards a carb issue because I noticed some fuel leaking from it when we were in staging and then a puddle under the quad in the garage. Quad won't spin the wheels off the line then takes off great after about 10 feet. Also bogs when coming out of turns.
Torque spring is new.

quadrider79
09-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Sounds like the compression is ok. Could be something is slipping.

Bens Dad
09-26-2011, 08:04 PM
souds like it might be gears slipping. Had the same problem with a friends quad found out one of the gears is pressed on from the factory and can slip under a load. We changed the gears and no more problem!

selbygirl
09-26-2011, 08:16 PM
hay jeff how old is the belt maybe streched. plus if your gear is spinning like bens dad sed .you should be able to put a weld on the gear

Logan #34's Dad
09-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Everything they said AND i'm sure your temperature has dropped so i'd bet your jetting is a little off. If its colder than normal always remember "add fuel to the fire" i.e. richen her up a lil.

joe0718
09-27-2011, 06:27 AM
Jeff, Did you ever check to see if you put the same gears back in the trans?

LT80
09-27-2011, 07:35 AM
"I am leaning towards a carb issue because I noticed some fuel leaking from it when we were in staging and then a puddle under the quad in the garage"

I agree. If the carb is dumping fuel in the motor, I would expext it to run just as explained (not good). :)

hotquads1
09-27-2011, 07:58 AM
normally if gears were slipping it would not create a bog but just the opposite such as over-revving, my guess is clutching. If youwant to isolate whether it is clutching or carb , take 5 minutes and simply remove one roller and run the quad if it is the carb it will still bog, if it is a clutching issue the bog will be gone or very much improved. Keep in mind the clutching issue could be due to a loss of engine power , so once you have determined the area of concern then identify the source. good luck.
Marc

tyler70t
09-27-2011, 10:22 AM
The gears are welded and fairly new, I put a new belt on @ the last race. I think I better start with the carb because I have battling this for about 6 or 7 races and @ one of the races it ripped out of the holeshot like there was nothing wrong, and took the holeshot both motos. Going to check the float to see if it is sticking:confused:

hotquads1
09-27-2011, 10:52 AM
does it idle well ? or load up and go dead while trying to idle ?

selbygirl
09-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by hotquads1
does it idle well ? or load up and go dead while trying to idle ? hay marc would a weak shoe spring cause problems

hotquads1
09-27-2011, 12:55 PM
weak shoe springs could cause a similar problem but probably not this extent .

tyler70t
09-27-2011, 05:09 PM
I put a new set of shoe springs in not long ago too. Stopped by Paul Marra's today and he suggested that the little metal tab on the float mechanism may need to be tweaked a tiny bit. I just did that now I am in the house scratching 28 mosquito bites, going back out tomorrow night. Good thin is we have a week & a half til the next race. Thanks for all the advice...........ATommy I have your water pump grommets in the tool box, I'll give them to you next time we see each other, thx.....................Jeff

tyler70t
09-27-2011, 05:14 PM
The quad is not idling well, I seem to be turning the idle screw every now & then, also having trouble starting @ times, that's another reason I think it may be a carb issue. Maybe it's time for a new carb, this one is 3 years old!!!! :eek2:

pmarra
09-27-2011, 05:58 PM
HA Jeff Hang the quad on the ceiling it will look good up there

chris p.
09-27-2011, 06:02 PM
ours was doing similar things.went up on the pilot jet and it cured the bog out of the corner and would rip down the straights.give it a shot. :D :D

selbygirl
09-27-2011, 06:02 PM
maybe go up on your slow jet for better start and idle. or a fresh plug . one of our bikes bikes ran a little ruff and hard to start changed plug still same problem . took the plug wire off .and i cut a 1/4 inch off both ends and screwd the cord back into the coil and cap end and cleared up.and check your cap for the spark plug and see if its dirty . and if you are adjusting the idle .maybe your throttle cable is binding or being pulled on something..take care tommy

tyler70t
09-27-2011, 06:08 PM
HA Jeff Hang the quad on the ceiling it will look good up there

Need to get 8 more races out of it Paul. Tyler is in first @ Atco, 2nd in Atco/TIS series and 4th in District 6 right now. We need to finish up strong, so I need this thing running the best I can get it.

pmarra
09-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Bring it over tomorrow

tyler70t
09-27-2011, 06:16 PM
I will bring it to work with me & swing by afterwards......Jeff

pmarra
09-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Will getter going

tyler70t
09-29-2011, 03:49 AM
Stopped @ Wiley Mods last night and Paul spent a couple hours with me helping me through this problem. First thing we found was that the float was sticking, dumping too much gas into the bike. He tweaked the floats and solved that problem. Next, the bike was running too fat, changed the main jet. Now that the carb problems were fixed, we found that the rollers were too light because I kept putting lighter ones in to try and fix the problem when actually it was in the carb. Quad had to burn all the extra fuel so that was resulting in the slow starts and coming out of turns like it was in high gear. Now the bad, looks like we have a crank seal going bad because there is an air leak that is not @ the carb or intake.
BIG THANKS TO PAUL FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!!!!!!

tyler70t
09-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Well, I talked to a couple people and they told me I can replace the crank seals in less than an hour( I have never done this before). so since the quad is 4 years old with original crank seals I figured it was time to order a set and put them in. Hopefully the bearings are still in good shape but I guess we will find out when we take the old seals out and see if there is any movement down there. Seals should be here Tuesday and I'll get them in.:ermm:

selbygirl
09-30-2011, 07:37 PM
get your self a set of strong picks to pull the seals out

pmarra
10-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Ha Jeff i have 30 sets of seals and bearings

Christiansdad
10-01-2011, 08:28 PM
How long does it or what does it take to put a set of bearings and seals in. Do you have to take the whole motor apart or ? I took the water side cover and stopped there, havent never been futher than that.. and the cvt side looks simple i guess when the front variator is off. Never checked in to that since we had it( little over a year) but curious..feel guilty not having to tinker with nothing in two months

tyler70t
10-02-2011, 03:38 AM
For the seals, which is all I am replacing right now ( hopefully) the motor can stay together. To replce the crank bearings you will need to split the cases.

Christiansdad
10-02-2011, 05:17 PM
We have two weeks or so i might try to do the same then. What tools do you have to have besides the flywheel puller.

fastrnrik
10-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Seals are easy to change. pop em out and pop em back in. Cheap insurance.