PDA

View Full Version : right side case oil drip

DoonRider
09-26-2011, 06:16 PM
On my 87 engine on the right hand case near what appears to be a sightglass location in another application by the words "oil check", a little oil is weeping from the case. Has anyone seen this before? Or is this common?

C-LEIGH RACING
09-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Is it in between where the cover bulges out for the clutch & water pump in that little flat area just above a small 10mm bolt head.
If it is, could be the crank bolt has came loose, backed out & rubbed a hole in the cover.
That will happen some times if the bolt not been torqued down or impacted tight.
Neil

DoonRider
09-26-2011, 07:33 PM
That's where it is. Does this happen over time? Or let loose and do this all at once?
This is the motor I was going to sell. What kind of toll does this put on it's value?
Darn near makes me makes me sick.

C-LEIGH RACING
09-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Is it bulged out where its leaking, if so then for sure the bolt has backed out.
Did you notice it looking different in that area before or after you bought the quad.

It would to some extent bring the value down, because that cover would need to be repaired or replaced altogether.

I've seen some with a spot of JB Weld patched on to the outside & that for sure would lower the price. Only real way to repair it would be welding & then machining it back into shape.
Could just be easier to find a used cover in good shape.
Neil

DoonRider
09-26-2011, 07:45 PM
It is bulged, I didn't remember seeing it beforehand but I could have overlooked it. Seeing it now, I don't know how I could have missed it.

C-LEIGH RACING
09-26-2011, 07:56 PM
That is just a minor problem to deal with far as it lowering the price. What more will look at, is what kind of shape the left hand crankcase looks like, if it is damaged or not. That being damaged could lower the price quite a bit.
Neil

DoonRider
09-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Where do I look for that? I don't see anything. Or does the cover need to be pulled to see that damage?

C-LEIGH RACING
09-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Damage to the left case, would be around the front sprocket & shift lever area from a thrown chain.
If the front sprocket has the OEM chain cover, then you would need to remove that to check for damage.

I just looked at the pic in your other thread & yes it does have the OEM chain guard on the engine, so that would need to be removed it inspect the left case.
Neil

DoonRider
09-26-2011, 10:15 PM
I didn't read your reply close enough. I thought you were talking about the right side casing what the clutch cover bolts to. Running in and out from the garage and watching the Cowboys' game, I'm all over the place.
The left side is good, that is something I took note of before I bought it.

Thanks for your diagnosis. Looks like I will have to buy a clutch cover and have that bolt tightened before I sell it.:ermm:

C-LEIGH RACING
09-27-2011, 07:58 AM
Ok,
When you pull the clutch cover off, if that crank bolt is still tight, you'll know right off it happened before you bought it.

If it is loose & you tighten it back up, dont use lock Tight on that bolt, torque it to the proper spec or either use an air impact gun.
Best money I have spent on tools, is a 3/8 butterfly impact. Its light, fast & can tackle big jobs for its size.
Neil