PDA

View Full Version : Need some A-Arm help

DEWER
09-26-2011, 04:48 PM
So the wife finally gave me the go ahead to buy new a arms. Problem now is I can't decide what. ones to get. I think I've read every a arm forum on here and still can't decide. I have a +2 swing and +2 axle. I was thinking +2/+1. I wanna race flat track will that be a good set up? What brand are you all running? Also are you happy with them? Thanks in advance.

400exrider707
09-27-2011, 01:38 PM
I've used a large variety of arms in the past. I would recommend going back to a stock swinger for length, and getting +2, +0, especially for flat track. You may even find you want a shorter than stock swinger too, helps get the weight over the rear tires. I think a stocker will probably be ideal though.

For arms... Laeger, Lonestar, Houser, something along those lines are nice. How much are you looking to spend though? LT or ST? I'm sure we can point you in the right direction.

quad2xtreme
09-28-2011, 07:41 AM
I can't help with flat track setup at all but I can tell you that Houser doubles the number of bearings over stock where the a-arms connect to the frame which greatly reduces the maintenance. They also have grease fittings. I have to say I am amazed how long the a-arms stay tight compared to stock or the JD Performance upper a-arms I run in the trails. I guess what I am saying is really pay attention to details like this because your ongoing maintenance costs can be greatly reduced.

Honda#4
09-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Don't forget a swaybar also.

400exrip
09-28-2011, 01:47 PM
If you are going to race TT go with the +2+0 a arms.

DEWER
09-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am looking at going with the Burgard +2. What are the pros/cons of the +1 forward? I have read alot of posts on hear about them and most people seem to like them. Any other brands out their around the same price/quality as them. Thanks for the help.

400exrider707
09-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by DEWER
Thanks for the replies. I am looking at going with the Burgard +2. What are the pros/cons of the +1 forward? I have read alot of posts on hear about them and most people seem to like them. Any other brands out their around the same price/quality as them. Thanks for the help.

Depends which one's you're talking about. Also, if you order Burgards don't expect to get them for a month or more. Their customer service has never been great, but from the sounds of it they're trying to turn it around.

They had two different style arms, the really cheap ones which were both cheap in the figurative sense and the literal sense, they bent and the balljoints broke all the time, and they have a better higher end set with the beefier balljoints, but the price is the same as any other arm manufacturer.

I see no reason ever to put +2+1 arms on a 400EX, but that's me. Technically speaking you should extend them forward when you're extending the rear axle, but I love the way the EX's handle with the +0 forward arms. Again, you should be going back to stock length swinger anyways for TT, so the +0 would be better option.

I usually just scroll to the used section here and try to find the best deal on a good set of arms. I like Houser, JB racing, Laeger's etc. There are tons of good arms out there.