View Full Version : I got the HEMI...

freakystone
02-24-2003, 08:28 PM
Well the black 03 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI that I ordered in November finally came in. 4x4, 345 HP, leather, dual climate control, 20" chrome clad aluminum wheels, heated seats, side curtain airbags, etc. etc. absolutely loaded.

So long 02' Chevy Silverado Z71 (hunk of $h!t).

I will post some pics soon.

BlazingYamahaYz
02-24-2003, 08:30 PM
awesome...i cant wait for pics...i really like the commercial for it:bandit:

killed300ex
02-24-2003, 08:31 PM
thats sweet definitly get some pics man sounds like a sweet truck if you hate the chevy im happy to take it from you :D
killed

freakystone
02-24-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by killed300ex
thats sweet definitly get some pics man sounds like a sweet truck if you hate the chevy im happy to take it from you :D
killed

I traded the Z71 in. It was paid for but I still took a bath on it. But since they sold me the HEMI for $9700 under sticker, I got a deal.

It is strange looking at the sticker and seeing my name on it. It says "MADE FOR KEN FREESTONE" kind of freaky.

Freakystone that is. :devil

Scott400EX
02-24-2003, 08:38 PM
Hey I got a 03 HEMI 4x4 Quad cab Quad Hauler too!!! what color did you get? It are a very awesome Truck!!!! Mine is Atlantic Blue!

freakystone
02-24-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Scott400EX
Hey I got a 03 HEMI 4x4 Quad cab Quad Hauler too!!! what color did you get? It are a very awesome Truck!!!! Mine is Atlantic Blue!

I got a black one. I got the 1500 not the 2500. Congrats...

My only problem is that I got 18 mpg on the Z71 and only 8.3 on the HEMI. But I only have 196 miles on it. Hopefully it gets better.

DGR Designs
02-24-2003, 08:47 PM
8.3 MPG!!! holy crap that sucks lol. but i suppose theres a price to be paid to have power.

MILF_HUNTER
02-24-2003, 08:47 PM
i should hope it gets better. i average 20mpg on my 1990 chevy its got a 350 and mad loud thrush mufflers. so i imagine you should be gettin better mpg as the motor breaks in more. my best friends older brothers powerstroke f-350 had poor milage untill the motor was properly worn in

Woodsrider
02-24-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by freakystone
I got a black one. I got the 1500 not the 2500. Congrats...

My only problem is that I got 18 mpg on the Z71 and only 8.3 on the HEMI. But I only have 196 miles on it. Hopefully it gets better.

8.3MPG? Holy chit man that is as bad as the bigblocks! What does the sticker say it should get? I think I would crap if I only got 8.3 with todays technology.

flyin#5
02-24-2003, 08:49 PM
"Hey is that a HEMI?" lol then

"Hey ive got a HEMI to. but i have something you dont" :eek2:

freakystone
02-24-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by soggyrider
8.3MPG? Holy chit man that is as bad as the bigblocks! What does the sticker say it should get? I think I would crap if I only got 8.3 with todays technology.

The sticker says 14 and 17. And I havent thumped it yet either. I had an 01' Durango R/T and it got bad mpg and was a DOG when I first got it.

My fingers are crossed. But I dont have a payment so mayby my monthly gas bill will be like a payment.

Scott400EX
02-24-2003, 09:53 PM
Oh yeah its gets lots better. Im getting about 14 in the city!!
the thing on the overhead console is kinda missleading. Mine always says somthin around 8 or 9 but if ya do the math its a lot better mileage.

Leo
02-25-2003, 02:08 AM
hey you guys with '02 + '03 trucks... if your overhead console is reading WAY off odds are that it's been programmed for the wrong size fuel tank.. (IE it's basing it's calcualtions off a 40 gallon tank instead of a 30 gallon tank).. next service have 'em check it out takes about 2 seconds.

they are notoriously inaccurate anyway btw.. if mine wasn't off by 2mpg I'd be worried.. lol

The Hemi falls into the same fuel mileage category as most of the late model trucks.. It all depends on how you drive it..

I can get anywhere from 12 to 24 mpg on a tank with my 4.7 Dakota, all depends on how I drive it.

Most of the new stuff has somewhere around a 600-800 mile break-in setting in the software that changes some aspects of the mileage / power deliver / etc.. So don't put to much stock in the mileage / power until you get up in the 1000 mile range.. I've been told that it's especially noticable in the Hemi due to the drive by wire throttle setup.

Now, if only they'd slap the Hemi in a Dakota for me :D

Leo

exriderdude
02-25-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by flyin#5
"Hey is that a HEMI?" lol then

"Hey ive got a HEMI to. but i have something you dont" :eek2:

lmfao....that commercial is hilarious:D

NTPRacing#19
02-25-2003, 08:05 AM
yea my buddy got a ford lightning last summer and it got bad gas mileage and wouldnt perform to its fullest until it was properly broken in. now he put a new supercharger in it and now he can go 35 mph... floor it and it will drop to first and smoke the tires up through third ... lmao.

freakystone
02-25-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Leo
hey you guys with '02 + '03 trucks... if your overhead console is reading WAY off odds are that it's been programmed for the wrong size fuel tank.. (IE it's basing it's calcualtions off a 40 gallon tank instead of a 30 gallon tank).. next service have 'em check it out takes about 2 seconds.

they are notoriously inaccurate anyway btw.. if mine wasn't off by 2mpg I'd be worried.. lol

The Hemi falls into the same fuel mileage category as most of the late model trucks.. It all depends on how you drive it..

I can get anywhere from 12 to 24 mpg on a tank with my 4.7 Dakota, all depends on how I drive it.

Most of the new stuff has somewhere around a 600-800 mile break-in setting in the software that changes some aspects of the mileage / power deliver / etc.. So don't put to much stock in the mileage / power until you get up in the 1000 mile range.. I've been told that it's especially noticable in the Hemi due to the drive by wire throttle setup.

Now, if only they'd slap the Hemi in a Dakota for me :D

Leo

I was hoping this HEMI post would pull you out of the wood pile with some real answers Leo. Thanks.

I noticed something this morning that maybe you can answer. For about the first 10 to 15 minutes, the truck runs at about 2300 rpm at 60 mph but then drops to about 1650 rpm at 60 mph.

Hang tight Leo. I am sure you heard that Dodge is going to put the HEMI in a Durango. So a Dakota is not such a far fetch.

Loeryder
02-25-2003, 09:09 AM
For about the first 10 to 15 minutes, the truck runs at about 2300 rpm at 60 mph but then drops to about 1650 rpm at 60 mph.

Dodge is known for using $hitty torque converters and this is a symptom of them, poor lockup conditions until they are fuilly warmed up.

If Dodge puts the Hemi in the Durango or the kota it better not have the 46RE trans bahind it. I know 3 other people besides me who have had problems with the Dodge 46RE thats used in the Ram 1500, Durango and Dakota RT.
Its a POS that needs to be retired and go to a real trans like GMs 4L80E.
Hopefully a TCI shift kit and Viper converter can firm it up.

And I get about 10-14 MPG in my 5.9 Ext cab RT.
My worst was about 7-8MPG and that was towing my 3800# Typhoon all the way through kansas into a headwind.

L.Vegas400
02-25-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by NTPRacing#19
yea my buddy got a ford lightning last summer and it got bad gas mileage and wouldnt perform to its fullest until it was properly broken in. now he put a new supercharger in it and now he can go 35 mph... floor it and it will drop to first and smoke the tires up through third ... lmao.
i do realize this is about your HEMI, but i have to put in a bit of cool info
i did some work in a shop that puts turbos on brand new lightnings. the last one they did has 500 horse and 700 ftlbs of tourque:macho the name of the place is Silver State Motorsports. he also helped Paul, the guy i worked for, do the wiring and computer work on the first V-10 mustang.

Razorback
02-25-2003, 10:03 AM
I got mine back in December. I had to order it, because they were moving too quick off the lots. I got the 2500 version though with the Laramie package and 4x4. Put a few extra goodies on it.

Very pleased so far. Already have over 5k miles on it! (Did a lot of holiday travel). I've gotten as good as 15mpg on the highway, which is a good 2+mpg better than my Silverado 2500 6.0L. I get between 11 and 12mpg in Dallas traffic.

Here's a couple of pics :D (sorry for the large size)

http://www.scottandbiccy.com/tmp/hemi01.jpg
http://www.scottandbiccy.com/tmp/hemi02.jpg
http://www.scottandbiccy.com/tmp/hemi03.jpg
http://www.scottandbiccy.com/tmp/hemi04.jpg

mrusk
02-25-2003, 01:24 PM
My dad ordered his hemi the last week of december. I hope it comes soon. Its a 2500 4X4 SLT Sport 4 Door long bed, altantic blue.

We paid 30k encluding the 100k warranty.

matt

MSL
02-25-2003, 01:31 PM
Get a pic up soon freaky.
sounds like a real nice truck.

Scott400EX
02-25-2003, 01:38 PM
Im at the 900 mile mark now. and its getting better and better gas mileage as the miles build up!!. The over head console stays between 13 and 14 all the time now. it was between 8 and 9 most of the time last week.
This is truely an AWESOME truck!!! and great for haulin a quad too!!!

ChadEXer
02-25-2003, 01:45 PM
The minute I seen the new Dodge body styles I ran right out and got me one. Should have waited damnit!!! Those Hemis are nice!!

freakystone
02-25-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Scott400EX
Im at the 900 mile mark now. and its getting better and better gas mileage as the miles build up!!. The over head console stays between 13 and 14 all the time now. it was between 8 and 9 most of the time last week.
This is truely an AWESOME truck!!! and great for haulin a quad too!!!

I'll try to snap some pics tonight ot tomorrow. I bought a new Sony camera and sold my old Sony and the new one wont take the memory stick. Friggin' things.

That silver HEMI is nice. I didnt get the 2500. I ordered a 1500 with the big wheels and the 392 rear end. Once she gets broke in, she should fly.

Razorback
02-25-2003, 01:57 PM
I'll try to snap some pics tonight ot tomorrow. I bought a new Sony camera and sold my old Sony and the new one wont take the memory stick. Friggin' things.

That silver HEMI is nice. I didnt get the 2500. I ordered a 1500 with the big wheels and the 392 rear end. Once she gets broke in, she should fly.

:) It loves the passing gear.

freakystone
02-25-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by 250x#93
Dodge sucks:devil Want a real truck? Go with a FORD

Thanks funny. I was thinking about making a post that said, "250X sucks:devil Want a real quad? Go with a Z400."

but I didnt want to be a pr!ck.

300exazzkikr
02-25-2003, 02:06 PM
Dodge sucks:devil Want a real truck? Go with a FORD

don't start...this is not a war, he is simply stating that he got a hemi (which is cool) and wants to show it off. let him be. Oh by the way did you notice the 80's chevy in the background on the first pic still lookin good and chuggin. :devil

freakystone
02-25-2003, 02:14 PM
Oh well, sorry for voicing my opinion:) And if I were a real man I would get a Z but since I am not i'd go with the ex. I'm not just a flame, I just wanted to get poked with "you know what" in the back of a Ford :devil

:huh

250x#93
02-25-2003, 02:18 PM
Hey man ur changin my words around now:p Seriosly I don't want to make anyone mad so I'll delete them.

freakystone
02-25-2003, 02:23 PM
No, dont delete them... I was just kidding. I could care less what anyone says about Dodge or Chevy or Ford. Life is short.:D

freakystone
02-25-2003, 02:24 PM
Too often people take me to serious. I am just a 32 year old kid at heart.

:devil

Where is Jim when we need some relief?

Oh, he is relieving mr. lumberjack about now. MMMMMMMM:D

250x#93
02-25-2003, 02:26 PM
Too late:eek: But its still in quotes:devil

250x#93
02-25-2003, 02:27 PM
Yeah I do take stuff way to serious, i'm too gullable:o Oh well

knighttime
02-25-2003, 02:29 PM

but I didnt want to be a pr!ck.

way too late for that
:rolleyes:

freakystone
02-25-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by knighttime
way too late for that
:rolleyes:

Hahahahaha

Glow Plug
02-25-2003, 02:32 PM
very nice trucks guy's i still like the looks of the older dodges but the new one is starting to grown on me :D

Leo
02-25-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Loeryder
Dodge is known for using $hitty torque converters and this is a symptom of them, poor lockup conditions until they are fuilly warmed up.

If Dodge puts the Hemi in the Durango or the kota it better not have the 46RE trans bahind it. I know 3 other people besides me who have had problems with the Dodge 46RE thats used in the Ram 1500, Durango and Dakota RT.
Its a POS that needs to be retired and go to a real trans like GMs 4L80E.
Hopefully a TCI shift kit and Viper converter can firm it up.

And I get about 10-14 MPG in my 5.9 Ext cab RT.
My worst was about 7-8MPG and that was towing my 3800# Typhoon all the way through kansas into a headwind.

The 44RE/46RE/46RH trannies are a thing of the past.. The only way you can get one now is with a Diesel (and why would you when you can get the HO diesel w/ 6 spd?).. They are a crappy transmission no doubt about that.

The new series of trannies (45RFE / 55RFE) have proven to be bulletproof, and are without a doubt the smoothest shifting, slickest tranny's that have ever been put in a truck.. Out of a zillion Grand Cherokee/Dakota/Durangos that they've been in (anything with a 4.7) they've been holding up great.. We'll see how they do in the trucks.

Leo

Leo
02-25-2003, 04:30 PM
I was hoping this HEMI post would pull you out of the wood pile with some real answers Leo. Thanks.

I noticed something this morning that maybe you can answer. For about the first 10 to 15 minutes, the truck runs at about 2300 rpm at 60 mph but then drops to about 1650 rpm at 60 mph.

Hang tight Leo. I am sure you heard that Dodge is going to put the HEMI in a Durango. So a Dakota is not such a far fetch.

Not knowing the temp in your area but I'm betting it's probably related to trans fluid temp.. The trannies typically won't shift into OD until the trans fluid gets up to the 120 degree range.. Spinning the tranny faster get's everything warmed up faster, which leads to much longer trans life..

The 5.7 also does some weird things with the throttle.. It's all electronic.. the gas pedal is actual called the 'torque request sensor' LOL..

Leo

Razorback
02-25-2003, 05:20 PM
Leo makes great points (which you would expect given his Dodge background ;) ) The 45RFE transmission is extremely smooth. Best shifting truck I've ever driven. I've owned trucks from the big 3, including a couple of the late 90s Dodges, so I can say that from experience.

The transmission fluid temp is what's going on with freaky's situation. Most newer vehicles seem to do it now. Kinda freaks you out (no pun intended) when it first happens though, because it sounds like somethings wrong when your vehicle revs a lot higher than normal.

And that electronic throttle (drive-by-wire I think it's called) takes some getting used to. It makes you feel like the truck is not as zippy as you'd think it would be when you first touch the throttle, but when you get into the throttle a little bit, it's very reactive and runs like a beast. Not to mention, the stock pipe sounds really good :D

freakystone
02-25-2003, 05:51 PM
Thanks Guys... Ben should change the name of this site to:

www.exriders-and-ex-exriders-that-know-a-lot-about-all-kinds-of-stuff.com

Just kidding. Thanks.:D

Hey one thing though. I did happen to turn OFF the O/D when it was cold and running at 2300 rpm at 60 mph and it jumped the rpm up to about 2800 rpm. So was it the O/D not kicking in then???

Leo
02-25-2003, 06:20 PM
That was more apt to be the Torque converter unlocking causing that...

In many situations the converter won't lock up in 3rd..

-EXCEPT- during cold trans temp conditions when OD is disabled (the converter lockup in 3rd is to help generate heat to warm the tranny)..

Probably when you kicked the OD off, while it was disabled it just kicked off the torque converter clutch (which would account for the 500 or so RPM's)..

I'm not 100% on this.. I'm just basing it on past Mopar tranny strategies.. The 45RFE/55RFE trannies have been so trouble free that I honestly haven't payed very much attention to them.. I hope it stays that way :D It may also have 2 third gears.. both the 45RFE and 55RFE actually have 5 distinct forward gears.. normally use 4 and the 5th is used under special circumstances (in the 45RFE it's a second 2nd gear w/ a slightly different ratio).. Not sure how it's setup in the 55RFE.

Leo

ChadEXer
02-26-2003, 08:11 AM
I owned 3 Dodges before i decided to buy this new body style Ram. I had a 02 1500 4x4, a 02 1500 2x4, and a 02 1500 4x4 standard. With the 2x4 with an automatic I never had any problems with the tranny(although I only keep my trucks about 6 months)!! but with the 4x4, I had trouble with the trnsmission the day I bought it,,,I took it in 3 times and they were still unable to fix it so we decided to trade it back in. I guess Dodge put different trannies in the 2x4 and the 4x4?? I have heard of quite a few problems with the 4x4 trannies, but havent heard many problems and didnt have any myself with the 2x4? Was it just the tranny in the 4x4 that was having the problems??? And you guys are right about the new trannies in the new Dodge,,,they are great!!! I was also surprised at how well the 4.7 in the new Dodges performs. I didnt think a motor could ever be built to be as reliable a deliver good power like the old 5.2 318's did. But it seems to me when I hook up to my trailer the new 4.7 , it outperforms the old 5.2's!! I have heard some people say they seem less powerful, and some say they are more powerful,,,,I think they are more powerful!! I think they are about the same on the bottom end but when the new 4.7 gets wound up it starts getting things done!!! To bad I didnt wait for that Hemi,,,oh well, maybe its getting time to trade in!!!

freakystone
02-26-2003, 08:28 AM
Here she is. Very dirty though. The picture makes it look low but you have to climb into it compared to my Z71.

freakystone
02-26-2003, 08:31 AM
and...

MSL
02-26-2003, 09:29 AM
Truck looks sweet freaky

dont ugly it up by putting that Z400 in the back:blah J/K:D

freakystone
02-26-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by MSL
Truck looks sweet freaky

dont ugly it up by putting that Z400 in the back:blah J/K:D

I wont have room for the Z in the back. Your mom is insisting and putting a blow us matress back there for us...:eek:

:D

jay's 300
02-26-2003, 10:25 AM
I wont have room for the Z in the back. Your mom is insisting and putting a blow us matress back there for us...:eek:

:D

:eek2: :blah