PDA

View Full Version : Title help!!!

01boneless
09-26-2011, 08:19 AM
ok so i bought my ex a few months ago febuary to be exact, and it dident come with a title the guy i bought it off of (i know him ) said the first owner witch was the one befor him (im the 3rd) never gave him one. (i know him too they both live a mile from me lol) so how do i go about getting a title issued? im in ohio and i have a bill of sale from the last owner?

quad2xtreme
09-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Was it ever titled? If so, the original owner needs to request a copy of the title from the DMV and sign it over to you.

CJM
09-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Id try contacting the first owner and see what they say, if all else fails take your billof sale and go down to the dmv and see what the say.

In NJ I had to have a notarized bill of sale even tho no one ever registered or titled my quad (it actually had no owners listed). So I (and this is for entertainment purposes only) had to have a billof sale made up and I used a friends name and the local dmv wouldnt do it (tried 2x) gave up and went to main branch and they did it with no argument.

TheLane
09-26-2011, 11:49 AM
there are a few things to watch out for, BEFORE you tell the DMV you want a title make sure you ask them if there is an active lien against the bike.

9/10 what someone never getting the title means is that they owed money on it and never paid it off and the bike might be up for reposession, or they DID pay it off and the owner never got a release of lien from the bank.

(if you have more questions just hit me up, i am actually a loan officer who specializes in recreational vehicles for a living)

TheLane
09-26-2011, 11:49 AM
there are a few things to watch out for, BEFORE you tell the DMV you want a title make sure you ask them if there is an active lien against the bike.

9/10 what someone never getting the title means is that they owed money on it and never paid it off and the bike might be up for reposession, or they DID pay it off and the owner never got a release of lien from the bank.

(if you have more questions just hit me up, i am actually a loan officer who specializes in recreational vehicles for a living)

HondaPohl
09-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Maybe CJM can verify but I believe quads that were bought in NJ and maybe other states at one time did not come with titles. I have to quads from NJ, both are 98 yamahas and both guys said they didnt come with titles. Just sale paperwork. Maybe i got suckered. Plus call a notary. They will tell you.

CJM
09-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Yea we dont get titles here, we get some kinda certificate of ownership.

Registering one of them here is a pain even if you have that certificate. I did it since there is zero legal places to ride besides private property or tracks and it gets impounded I get it back.

HondaPohl
09-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
ok so i bought my ex a few months ago febuary to be exact, and it dident come with a title the guy i bought it off of (i know him ) said the first owner witch was the one befor him (im the 3rd) never gave him one. (i know him too they both live a mile from me lol) so how do i go about getting a title issued? im in ohio and i have a bill of sale from the last owner?

Just pray it was not stolen somewhere along the line cuz if you try and get a dupi of the title and it was jacked at one point. You could get receiving stolen property and it gets impounded and sold at auction or given back to the orginal owner.

01boneless
09-26-2011, 02:09 PM
lol never stolen i know the oringinal owner and the one befor me they was both kinda rich lol

HondaPohl
09-26-2011, 02:14 PM
lol never stolen i know the oringinal owner and the one befor me they was both kinda rich lol

Than you shouldnt have a problem. Call a notary and they should be able to help you out.

01boneless
09-26-2011, 09:03 PM
anyone else this dude is gonna trade me a 450 if i can get my title :D

TheLane
09-27-2011, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by HondaPohl
Than you shouldnt have a problem. Call a notary and they should be able to help you out.

what would a notary do? theres nothing to notarize :P no title remember.

CJM
09-27-2011, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by TheLane
what would a notary do? theres nothing to notarize :P no title remember.

making a bill of sale up, usually need to be notarized. Then you can register it without a title-but this only applies to some cases and states.

01boneless
09-27-2011, 05:24 PM
so i called the original owner today and he said he dident think it came with a title when he bought it new lol so thats out the window i have a bill of sale anyone no if i can just take it to the dmv and get a title or what?

blacknblue#2
09-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Its got a title somewhere, any ATV after 1999 in ohio has to have a title. I bought a 400EX new in 2001 and it had a title. Ask him what dealer it was bought from? If it was bought from Rarden then call them and ask for Angie. Give her your VIN and tell her your situation. She will hook you up

01boneless
09-27-2011, 05:37 PM
thanks bud yahh i deal with angie all the time but its a 99 model so it should have one right if not how do i get one i have a bill of sale and can get it notorized what all do you need to get a sticker to ride on state parks?

blacknblue#2
09-27-2011, 05:49 PM
If its a 99 it will have one, my 99 300EX did. I always have to show a title to get a state sticker. Its not a sticker anymore, its a license plate lol. Thats why my dirtbike dont have one anymore lol. Kinda hard to hang a plate off a dirtbike

01boneless
09-27-2011, 06:27 PM
ok thanks dude so what all do i need to get a title issued ?

croat1
09-28-2011, 05:54 AM
you need the title!!! its a 99...someone has the title for the bike issued in there name. you need to find this info. call the dealer to see if they will help. check with the local police or the highway patrol. you won't get anyhting done at the DMV without the title for a 99. trust me...try getting a 87 250r titled. and yes i'm in Ohio (cuyahoga county)

to get an older bike in ohio titled:
1. get an out of state vin inspection.
2. get the bill of sale notarized.
3. get a proof of ownership affidavit.
4. title is then issued.
5. plate and registration is issued
6. purchase daily/weekly/yearly trail pass at state park.

oh i forgot...$ at every step. not much but all said and done for my 87 250r it was around 100 total.

01boneless
09-28-2011, 07:34 AM
where do i get a vin inspection? also where do I get a proof of ownership affidavit?

powerbomb400
09-28-2011, 09:52 AM
I know when you buy a quad or dirtbike in the state of Tenn. you send in the certificate of orgin and show that you paid sales tax and they will send you a DMV sticker and a title.. All they want to do is show that sales tax was paid for the purchase.

01boneless
09-28-2011, 09:56 AM
i called the dmv and they said all i need is my id and the vin and they will give me a title all i do is fill out a forum :D

croat1
09-28-2011, 11:06 AM
where do i get a vin inspection? also where do I get a proof of ownership affidavit?

your local DMV