PDA

View Full Version : Let the tear-down begin!

05DodgeDakota
09-25-2011, 07:19 AM
Ok, I'm gonna go degrease and pressure wash the quad and then the tear-down shall begin! Talked to my engine builder last night and he seems to think that all the metal shavings are probably from somewhere other than just the rings. Maybe the shift forks, and let's hope it's not the crush washers for the crank or the crank bearings! Anyways wish me luck that this will go smoothly and that it will not eat my wallet!

01boneless
09-25-2011, 08:35 AM
it will eat your wallet sorry to say lol

05DodgeDakota
09-25-2011, 11:17 AM
as long as it's nothing more than rings/piston, valves, and maybe clutch, I'll be happy.

HondaRacing83
09-25-2011, 01:25 PM
i wanna see a pic of your ex!

01boneless
09-25-2011, 01:57 PM
^^x2

05DodgeDakota
09-25-2011, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
i wanna see a pic of your ex!

lol, it's nothing special, but I'll figure out how to post some later tonight. Do you want a pic of it together or torn apart like it is right now lol.

05DodgeDakota
09-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Ok just came inside to start reviewing my downloaded service manual. I ordered a Clymers off of Amazon but it has not yet arrived. The plastics, tank, heat sheild, airbox, carb, intake manifold are off and the oil is drained. Now gotta read the manual to see where to start, as this is the point that I've never been past.

Btw, how do you disconnect the throttle cable from the carb?

01boneless
09-25-2011, 02:34 PM
you take off the black cover on the side off the carb and you will be able to pop it off from inside there me when im in the motor i just leave it on the carb and rest the carb on the front arms or on the frame somewhere

HondaRacing83
09-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by 05DodgeDakota
lol, it's nothing special, but I'll figure out how to post some later tonight. Do you want a pic of it together or torn apart like it is right now lol. together!

05DodgeDakota
09-25-2011, 04:06 PM
ok so the plunger/spring under the cam, is it down inside that tiny hole or did I accidentally knock it down inside the case!?

If it is inside that hole how do I get it out? Already tried a magnet. If I dropped it in the case how do I fish it out?

Also is there anyway to remove the exhaust as one piece?

CJM
09-25-2011, 04:19 PM
You should see a spring and a small metal pin somewhere, you dont its somewhere in the motor.

You must remove the exhaust in 2 parts, cant be done in 1.

05DodgeDakota
09-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by CJM
You should see a spring and a small metal pin somewhere, you dont its somewhere in the motor.

You must remove the exhaust in 2 parts, cant be done in 1.

I already took off the muffler, but I cannot get the headpipe out for the life of me, the oil tank and head are in the way. Still don't see the spring/plunger. Gonna turn the head upside down when i get it off and see if it's in the hole. Sure hope it's not in the case, does that mean I'd have to split it?

05DodgeDakota
09-25-2011, 05:09 PM
ok, no sign of the spring/plunger. F***!!! So I guess it's down it the case. Will I have to split them? The piston and valves look pretty burnt up.

another question, I have the cam chain zip tied up to keep it from falling into the case, but I did notice that it has fallen off the bottom sprocket, is that a problem? Also do you have to split the case to install a new cam chain? And If I go to the CRF cam chain so I need new/different cam sprocket?

and I figured out how to get the headpipe out, had to loosen the rear master cylinder resevior to get more wiggle room.

CJM
09-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Theres no way the cam chain fell off that sprocket, its not possible due to the design of it all. If anything its probably binding up down there. You can drop the chain anyways, wont go all the way into the trans no matter what really.

Shouldnt have to split the cases, just be careful and look for the pin and spring.It cant fall all the down fromt he head unless it got knocked into the cam chain area.

To replace the chain you will have to remove the outer case on the right side, remove the clutch (tusk clutch holding tool and an impact gun is a must have in my book) and its pretty straight forward after that. You will not need a new cam chain sprocket either.

To take the header off you gotta undo all the bolts and then take a prybar, crowbar or large flathead and pry the clamps off from the head while jiggling the header around-it will come off. Once you got it all off go get a drill and a bit thats just the next size up and enlarge them stupid holes a bit-makes getting it off easy.

05DodgeDakota
09-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Okay, everything is taken apart except I can't get the piston off of the rod because I can't those clips off. I think I need a smaller set of needle nose pliers. Looked around down the cam chain hole and still no sign of that spring/plunger. Not even exactly sure of what I'm looking for lol.

01boneless
09-25-2011, 06:08 PM
tbh dude if those are in the motor you are going to have to find them or you are going to have a serious problem look in every hole possible and if you cant see them you are goin to have to split the cases :rolleyes: but also not to correct cjm (becuase he is the best) but your chain can come off the bottom sprocket cause it happend to me all you have to do is stick a long screwdrider down there and prick with it you will get it on easily. now the plunger and spring if you can see them take a long magnet and try to stick them and get them out!!! cant yell at you for it becuase i droped mine in there yesterday and had to fish it out lol

Stickman400
09-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Well, since my motor is still torn down I got ya a pic of that spring and plunger.
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Quad%20Pics/IMAG0261.jpg
It's very small, the spring is a little over 1/4" long and the plunger is a little over 1/2" long. Good luck finding that little s.o.b.

05DodgeDakota
09-26-2011, 04:46 AM
thanks, i need it.

CJM
09-26-2011, 05:09 AM
Removing the cir clips is easy, you need a small right angle type pick. Slide the clip to where both of the open ends line up with the gap on the piston and pull up on one end using the pick, should come right off.

Put a rag into the trans so you dont drop them in there.

ride red 14
09-26-2011, 07:12 AM
if the cam has been replace with a hotcam or other at one time, you will not have the spring and pin for the decomp. just a thought.

05DodgeDakota
09-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by ride red 14
if the cam has been replace with a hotcam or other at one time, you will not have the spring and pin for the decomp. just a thought.

nope, stock motor, first tear-down. I bought it new

BUT, I wonder if maybe the 08's dont have the decomp

01boneless
09-26-2011, 10:47 AM
pretty sure they do the little hole for them is there isent it?

05DodgeDakota
09-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
pretty sure they do the little hole for them is there isent it?

yea, but like I said I never saw the spring there. My only other guess is I knocked it down the cam chain hole while removing the cam

05DodgeDakota
09-27-2011, 05:05 PM
Well everything is ready to be taken to RTR Performance Engines in Bartow, FL. Then it will be decision time! I might take apart the clutch tonight to take a look at it as well.

01boneless
09-27-2011, 05:40 PM
did you ever find the spring and plunger?

05DodgeDakota
09-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
did you ever find the spring and plunger?

Nope, not yet lol

05DodgeDakota
09-27-2011, 06:44 PM
I was thinking about taking apart the bottom end anyways because I think i have more metal shavings than what would be made by just the piston rings

05DodgeDakota
09-28-2011, 10:41 AM
just got back from the engine builder, and here is the tentative plan:

Bore and Hone cylinder
New 85.5mm 11:1 piston and rings(either Wiseco, JE or CP)
Port and Polish Head
Recut new valve seats
New valve stem seals
Hotcam Stage 2
New OEM Clutch
Gaskets (unsure of brand yet)
HMF Full Exhaust

and maybe:
GT thunder HD Head Studs
GT thunder HD timing chain

also researching the Spal fan and a larger oil tank.

CJM
09-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Save your cash on the GT Thunder timing chain and buy a crf 450 chain from 02-06.

Also make sure the timing chain guides and tensioner are good. The guides should have little to no wear and the tensioner should spring back easy.

05DodgeDakota
09-28-2011, 01:48 PM
my engine builder doesn't seem to think that either the cam chain or head studs are necessary.

Honda.rider5871
09-28-2011, 01:58 PM
They may not be necessary , but i would defiantly do the HD head studs , there only $60 more. After putting all this money into it you wouldn't want to have to tear it down again if the head gasket goes.

05DodgeDakota
09-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Honda.rider5871
They may not be necessary , but i would defiantly do the HD head studs , there only $60 more. After putting all this money into it you wouldn't want to have to tear it down again if the head gasket goes.

$60 plus install...