PDA

View Full Version : GBC Race Rex tire review

matt1106
09-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Ive always been a maxxis razr guy, ive had a few sets and they have never let me down. 6 and 4 ply, never had a flat. But i needed tires and my buddy had a set of race rex in stock and the price was right so i figured id try them. he runs the x rex on his race bike and was happy with them. Im no bill ballance, but im a pretty solid rider, C-class racer. My second ride with my new race rex's i got a rear flat with a small sidewall puncture, where i was riding was really rough, so i figured it was a fluke. but bc i race i decide to have my buddy install hedstrom balls, bc nobody likes a DNF. The overall performance of the tire is amazing, the fronts steer very well, and the rear end hooks up amazing in all conditions and is still very willing to slide, so far they have worn pretty well, they seem to last longer than the razr. but the more ive gone riding the more i realize how poor the sidewalls really are on these tires. both rear sidewalls have at least 2 holes in each and a few chunks missing as well, and i really dont have many hours on them at all! if i didnt have hedstoms id be screwed. So overall, the performance is amazing but they r about as durable as turf tamers in the woods, i wouldnt recommend these tires at all, and needless to say ill be going back to my maxxis razrs

PSNL05
09-25-2011, 08:51 AM
I've run 3 XC races on my XRex's and don't have any gashes, holes, missing chunks, small punctures at all. Sorry about your bad luck, but the Race Rex tires aren't meant for woods riding to begin with, they are an mx race tire. The XRex is meant for woods riding/racing, and from what i've been able to tell, hold up extremely well. I don't run any type of tireballs and I absolutely love my XRex's.

matt1106
09-25-2011, 11:55 AM
The race rex is not an mx tire... its a 6 ply tire available in only 2 sizes 21x7-10 front and 20x11-9 rears, none of those things qualify that as an mx tire. GBC's mx tires are called Bomb squad tires. And from what ive read on other websites people have had better luck with the xrex than the new race rex. Im not trying to say all GBC tires are bad or Xrex's arent good. Im simply saying that the race rex do not have as strong of a sidewall as a 6-ply tire should...

PSNL05
09-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Sorry, I was only looking at the tread design, and the Race Rex looks like an MX design and tread pattern. I wouldn't run that tread pattern for XC/wood riding to begin with personally.

headache
09-26-2011, 12:53 PM
i've been running XRex fronts on my quadracer for almost 2 years and have run 4 harescrambles with them and have had no problems at all. On a side note i sliced the sidewall once on a rear Razr during a race and afterwards i sealed it with a tire plug and ran it that way for a couple years and it was still holding air fine when i sold the quad lol.

matt1106
09-26-2011, 02:44 PM
one of the guys i race with runs the Xrex also and has had no issues. but there is way too much damage to my sidewalls for the amount of riding i have on them, i havent even raced them yet. im gonna say they just dont have as durable sidewalls as the xrex