PDA

View Full Version : 88 mm rings

dxcody
09-24-2011, 12:45 PM
i broke the 2nd ring down on my piston in half. I was wiping everything down and the loose end of my rag grabbed the ring and broke it in half.

426 so its an 88MM correct? I found some 88mm pistin rings but none that are actually for a 426, the ones i found just say 88mm 4 cylinder engine.

What should i do? I really really dont have the money to buy a new piston and rings.

CJM
09-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Dennis kirk sells the rings, I just bought a set for a 416 aka 87mm piston. Thats all you need.

dxcody
09-25-2011, 03:51 AM
Thanks CJM

Oh and i went to put my right crankcase cover on, and my clutch is messed up. Like i took my manual and followed the directions pretty close, but my clutch arm (the shaft that sticks up out of the cover, i dont know what its called) its setting to far forward.

I have put together, probably 9 clutches on 400ex's and 300ex's and i have never had this problem before. ???

Got me stumped. I have had it completely back apart and re assembled 5 times now and it keeps doing the same thing.

PS. What i mean by its setting forward is, you can twist it until the top of the arm is pointing to the starter before it starts to pull the clutch so it makes my clutch cable about an inch too short to use. Which i wouldnt try to use it anyways because i know it is assembled wrong. Any ideas?

powerbomb400
09-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Don't the clutch lever have a notch that it pops down on after you put the case back on? A set of just rings are 30.00 give or take a few dollars I do believe
The clutch arm should have slack in it before it engages. I know mine I have to push it forward to put the cable on..

dxcody
09-25-2011, 12:29 PM
yes thats correct, but in my case instead of having to put the clutch arm forward to put the cable on, i have to pull it back because its setting too far forward. Got me all confused

powerbomb400
09-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Could it be that arm needs to be turned 180 degree's before you put on. Sounds like the notch is off from where it should be.

CJM
09-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Notch is off and not catching the little pin in there. Turn the clutch arm backwards till you put it on, then turn it forwards after its on or during assembly. It always takes me 2 or 3 tries to get it on there as it aint that easy.

dxcody
09-26-2011, 11:31 PM
good news! Figured some stuff out today, bought my rings and in the process, i found out that my piston is a wiseco 88mm 11:1 compression piston!

That should go great with my stage 2 i would think.

No more 87 octane tho. 93 isnt that much more tho lol

Now my official engine setup is...

426ex wiseco 11:1 high comp piston (w/ new rings), stage 2 hotcam, P&P head, crf450 timing chain, GTT HD studs, cometic gasket kit, with the 3 layer headgasket, UNI filter and white bro's slip on! Gonna be a beast.

I think i will buy a 450r carb this winter.