PDA

View Full Version : Z or EX????????

BoMbEr416
02-24-2003, 07:51 PM
ok, i am undecided about the EX or Z. i like the EX's but i am afraid if i get one i will be disapointed with power. are they pretty good in stock form? i will MX tracks and ditches will it be a good quad for that in stock form? i dont know about the Z i heard they have weak frames and suspension, but what kinda weaknesses do the EX have?

Scott400EX
02-24-2003, 08:02 PM
Get the EX!!
The Z will bend an axle quickly if u do a lot of jumping.
I had 0 problems with my EX when it was stock and stil have'nt had any! The power thing can be fixxed for $120 bux with a hotcam stage 2 and a little bit of mechanical know how!

youll be eating stock Z's for breakfast with the ex and a hotcam

NTPRacing#19
02-24-2003, 08:09 PM
def buy an ex. still the best 400 out there with their proven chassis and reliablity. just need some power hop ups

BoMbEr416
02-24-2003, 08:13 PM
i was thinkin the same thing. looks like i will get an EX. my dealer is sellin them for 5000 grand out the door, i think that is pretty good i thought

freakystone
02-24-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Scott400EX
Get the EX!!
The Z will bend an axle quickly if u do a lot of jumping.
I had 0 problems with my EX when it was stock and stil have'nt had any! The power thing can be fixxed for $120 bux with a hotcam stage 2 and a little bit of mechanical know how!

youll be eating stock Z's for breakfast with the ex and a hotcam

The EX is a great quad but... YOU NEED TO GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. The Z axle issues are fixed. I know because I am on number two. The second point is that a Hotcam will still not let an EX beat a Z. Sorry.

Nausty
02-24-2003, 08:27 PM
This topic has been beat to death, no offence. Basically the 400ex handles better, z400 has a couple more horses and can be modded to have a lot of power for relatively cheap, its liquid cooled and has reverse which doesn't matter to me. You can usually find the ex's cheaper and are more reliable it seems. I don't think you can go wrong with the ex.

freakystone
02-24-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
This topic has been beat to death, no offence. Basically the 400ex handles better, z400 has a couple more horses and can be modded to have a lot of power for relatively cheap, its liquid cooled and has reverse which doesn't matter to me. You can usually find the ex's cheaper and are more reliable it seems. I don't think you can go wrong with the ex.

:huh

BoMbEr416
02-24-2003, 08:41 PM
yeah, i think i am gonna go with a EX just for the fact that Z's havent been around long and i dont really know muh about them, and i know what i am getting with a EX.i'm not really concerned about top speed or a couple more MPH's anyways, as long as a stock EX can get me over the gap or table, thats all i want.

lil'redrocket
02-24-2003, 08:56 PM
Here's what I think. Just going on what I've heard. The z is a little better.:eek: I love honda but there a little behind engine wise. The z has a proven reliable and more powerful liquid cooled engine. It also has reverse and basically the same frame as the EX. I also heard that they fixed the weak axle problem and that It only affected the first models. If I was you I'd really just hold off and see what honda has up there sleeve:D

flyin#5
02-24-2003, 08:56 PM
yeah and knowing you for a couple weeks youll just break it anyways:p :D jp go with the ex i had one at my house for almost a year and it was a great quad and fun as heck!

BoMbEr416
02-24-2003, 09:02 PM
another thing that scares me about the Z is i heard the frame cracks where the shock mounts are, either caused by weak front shocks or just bad frame. i dont know i am gonna be spending a lotta money, so i dotn have much room for mods so i wanna bike that wil be reliable for me for a while till at least i am outta high and will be able to have extra money for the quad. not saying that the Z is unreliable, i just dont have the money to gamble with it INCASE my badluck streak kicks in again and i jump it and i fall straight on my face cuz my frame breaks.

cyba888
02-24-2003, 09:56 PM
Test rode the Z before and it is faster on mid range and top speed. I like to ride trails so for me the low end power of the EX is much better than the Z. My opinion is that my EX feels more stable and has a better ride than the Z on the trials.

cotttonwoody
02-24-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by BoMbEr650
another thing that scares me about the Z is i heard the frame cracks where the shock mounts are, either caused by weak front shocks or just bad frame.

Thats were the frame on my 400ex cracked, also by the foot peg. I also tore the mounts off two a-arms. Blew 2 front shocks. Had the rear bearings go out twice, and had to have a new engine put in the 3rd day we had it. But i think we got a lemon.
You should get a kxf400, they look better. If i had the money i would trade my ex for a kxf but keep my shocks.

RAGE
02-25-2003, 09:03 AM
Just a thought but, Y come to EX Riders and ask Z or EX?
Its like going to Z400Central and asking the same thing.
It all comes down to what you like and and the small details. The EX's right now are a bit cheaper and from most of the dealers around here I talk to say they can barely give them away, meaning you can get a better deal. So if money is the issue go EX and don't look back they are an awesome machine.
Personally I go pick up my Z in a couple weeks for 2 reasons. A radiator and Reverse.
My $.02

sly400ex
02-25-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by RAGE
Just a thought but, Y come to EX Riders and ask Z or EX?
Its like going to Z400Central and asking the same thing.
It all comes down to what you like and and the small details. The EX's right now are a bit cheaper and from most of the dealers around here I talk to say they can barely give them away, meaning you can get a better deal. So if money is the issue go EX and don't look back they are an awesome machine.
Personally I go pick up my Z in a couple weeks for 2 reasons. A radiator and Reverse.
My $.02

Well said......And also, I hate to say it, but if you were to go Z400 central, they would be quick to point out all the faults that the 400EX has had, which it has! Sorry guys:rolleyes: All manufactures are prone to some errors along the way. Remember when Honda manufactured many of their 400's with the rear brake pads both on the same side of the caliper!:confused: Errors are always bound to happen. But back to the subject, I rode a Z400 and definatley preferred my 400EX by a long shot!:macho :D

Teufel
02-25-2003, 01:38 PM
Try to get some ride time on each and see which one fits you the best. :D

Scott400EX
02-25-2003, 01:47 PM
Here's what i thik of the Z

http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_58368389bd944165b766709c0c8b7a85/i-1.JPG

Go EX all the way!!!

freakystone
02-25-2003, 01:52 PM
That's a good one...:D

RiPPiNiTuP7
02-25-2003, 02:08 PM
EX :macho

freakystone
02-25-2003, 02:11 PM
The 400EX would be perfect for my wife... :devil

Johnny_G
02-25-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by freakystone
The 400EX would be perfect for my wife... :devil

Now that is Funny!!!!!!:blah

freakystone
02-25-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Johnny_G
Now that is Funny!!!!!!:blah

Yeah but actually it was a joke. I bought a Z so I wouldnt have to get off and push. I darn sure wont push her quad now.

She doesnt ride anyway. I was just funnin'

01TRX300EX
02-25-2003, 03:16 PM
Well since this is an EX site your gonna get more answers with EX in them, since some people dont like to admit that they bought the wrong machine, j/k with ya, the Z is better but the EX is still a good machine, just behind the times.

Glow Plug
02-25-2003, 03:34 PM
i my oppion i would go for the ex but if you really want an honest anwer go to a fourm like atvconnection or something but there is nothin better than trying it yourself :D