PDA

View Full Version : New cam for the woods...

bpimpdaddy21
02-24-2003, 07:24 PM
I am looking into getting a new cam this spring or summer for my 2002 400EX. I was wondering what the best cam is that will give me the best all around gains without sacrificing reliability or power in any part of the powerband. I want the cam that is gonna give me the best all around power. Let me know guys. Thanks in advance. Also, would I have to get new rockers, I only have about 50 hours on my quad.

eldoexrider01
02-24-2003, 08:01 PM
my bike is set up for woods riding. i have the all around or stage 1 cam. it is a drop in cam so u dont need new rockers or hardfaced ones. i also put on new springs and fasteners. i have good low-mid range power. my friend has the stage 2 or race cam in his 400 and he said it pulls good everywhere, but i also had a friend with one who said u had to kinda keep it revin alot. its hard to say because everyones opinion is different, but i do know that me and everyone who has rode my quad has told me it has good gains in low-mid range.

Dave400ex
02-24-2003, 08:09 PM
I would give Tom a call at TC and get his XC Cam. It's a Drop-In...

JD400exrider
02-24-2003, 09:33 PM
I am looking to do the same thing. I have not made up my mind between a XR cam or a stage 1or 2. I am thinking of also putting a JE 10:8-1 piston in at the same time when i have it torn down. I am leaning towards the XR cam because of the honda reliablity. My local honda shop that builds allot of motors have put hot cams in and the XR cam. Thgey feel the Xr cam works well with a piston or on its own. I know then well eneough to know their not just trying to sell me one. I will have to call the TC see what they have. Do you know what the duration is on their cam?

2000 400 ex
CHM pipe, CHM Air Scoops, Mussle Steering Dampner, Uni Filter, EHS modified Air Box Cover, Razors Rears Holeshot Fronts, CHM Brake Block Off, MSR Clutch Perch, Works Frame Guards, DG Bumper, Full Skid Plates, 15 tooth Front, 39 Tooth Rear, DID X Ring, Nacs Light Covers (No Stickers), Nacs Foot peg Extenders, Renthal bars, Pro Design Shifter.
Coming Soon Shocks, Piston and Cam

speedjunkie
02-24-2003, 10:03 PM
I love my stage II. It provides great power all throught the rpm range. Do the cam and piston at the same, it saves a lot of time and hassle.

shamisc
02-24-2003, 10:16 PM
It depends on what cam you go with. If you get any of the HotCams, you can't use hard welded rockers b/c the cam is not hardened. It will wear out in a matter of hours. If you get a WebCam (which I have and absolutely love) you really need hard welded rockers and HD springs. When I put my cam in I used the HD springs and Ti retainers but skimped on the hard rockers. BIG NO NO!! Now I need a new cam and rockers! If your not looking to spend that much, I recommend the HotCam and a high comp piston. But you need to keep in mind, fast ain't free and you get what you pay for! I can tell you that to me the WebCam feels like it pulls harder and longer than my friends HotCam stage 2. Mine is the WebCam mid grind 450/451. Hope this helps in your decision.:cool:

YZROOSTINYA
02-25-2003, 04:08 AM
my buddy has over 200 hours on his web cam with stock rockers that had over 200 hours on them before the install. no probs so far. he also has hd springs.

if you are gonn put in a cam without a piston, at least replace the head gasket with the xr head gasket, not the ex. it will add some compression since it is thinner.

i love my set up

Dave400ex
02-25-2003, 01:45 PM
I don't have any specs on the TC Cam because Tom won't give them out. Most Engine Builders won't give you the specs because you could have somebody make you the same Cam.

speedjunkie
02-25-2003, 01:56 PM
I think if you are going to run a xr400 head gasket to get higher compression it has to be a factory honda one. I heard aftermarket gaskets for these two bikes are the same thickness:confused:

jchevy
02-25-2003, 04:01 PM
Cometic makes two different head gaskets. They make the normal head gasket, they are a fiber type, which you would get from rocky mountain. These gaskets are the same thickness as the stock ex gasket for both the xr and ex.

Cometic also makes a thin 3 piece steel gasket for the xr and ex that is about half the thickness. So its about the same as the OEM xr gasket. You can get this typ of gasket from XR's Only.

I got into a big fight with Rocky Mountain about the thickness sizes and had to call Cometic to figure it out.

02-25-2003, 04:38 PM
Drop in TC (tom cruise) GNCC cam should work for ya..:devil

bpimpdaddy21
02-25-2003, 06:50 PM
where can I get the TC GNCC Drop-In cam?? And thanks everyone for all the quick replies!

Dave400ex
02-25-2003, 07:30 PM
Call Tom at TC Racing. 1-814-723-3514

Bill Fuller
02-26-2003, 08:38 AM
I run the TC national cam (has the #'s 929 on it if that matters).I've run this same cam for atleast 2 years now,complete drop in.I have run this cam with a 426 kit and power was great,blew that 426 up bought a new ex freshened it with a J E 416 piston and used the same TC cam no chatter marks or pits TC may be hard to deal with (probably just the usual dumb people asking dumb questions,me included). The TC cam works great he knows what he is doing obviously.

Dave400ex
02-27-2003, 06:46 PM
How are your Rockers and Valve Springs holding up? Also what was the difference from the 425 to 416?

Bill Fuller
02-27-2003, 07:57 PM
Rockers and springs are in great shape,I change my oil like I've got stock in honda oils(20-50 HP4 syn.molly).I am concerned about if there will be any marks due to the fact it was broken in on a different valve train but I don't think it will be an issue(holds a valve adjustment very well). I have been running this cam in the 416 since august 02.Power wise I don't think there is a great differance between 416/426.Duribility becomes the issue (heat dist,cost to resleve etc..) The 416 has the power to do the job with the same bolt ons pipe,carb,proper jetting.

Dave400ex
02-27-2003, 11:58 PM
Awesome thanks for the Info. I plan on getting the TC Cam. I think I will just go ahead and get a JE 416 piston instead of the 425 for now...