View Full Version : Houser Pro Bounce Nerf Bars

05DodgeDakota
09-22-2011, 06:51 PM
I'm installing a set on a 05 kicker tomorrow, any tips?

D Bergstrom
09-22-2011, 09:21 PM
Let me know how they fit, I bought a set for my 04 at the beginning of the year and I can't use the heel guards, the lower fender mounts are in the way. I guess they fit fine on the 06 and newer, but not the 04/05, you are the first one I have seen that is using them on a 04/05, so would like to know if you have any problems.

I spoke to the sales rep at Houser after I first got them, and he spoke with the tech and the tech said the mounts just need to be bent a little. Not even close, I would have to bend them alot. The sales guy gave me the reps number, left a few messages and he never called back. Finally just decided to give up. I like the peg suspension alot, so they are still worth it, just bummed I can't use the heel guards.

Other then that they fit great, not any more difficult to install then any other nerf bars I have had. I liked them so much on my 450R, I bought a set for my 700X, those fit great.

Doug

sunco
09-23-2011, 06:28 AM
Lock tite. My kid has them on an 07. I know he's happy. I have burgards on my 07 & to look at them together - Houser was the right choice.

05DodgeDakota
09-23-2011, 06:32 AM
which type of loctite do you recommend?

mpblaster287
09-23-2011, 06:41 AM
your lower fender mounts right to the heel gaurd and you dont use the stock brackets. i have them on my 04 and they fit and work great.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k276/mpsoccer287/014-3.jpg

Originally posted by D Bergstrom
Let me know how they fit, I bought a set for my 04 at the beginning of the year and I can't use the heel guards, the lower fender mounts are in the way. I guess they fit fine on the 06 and newer, but not the 04/05, you are the first one I have seen that is using them on a 04/05, so would like to know if you have any problems.

I spoke to the sales rep at Houser after I first got them, and he spoke with the tech and the tech said the mounts just need to be bent a little. Not even close, I would have to bend them alot. The sales guy gave me the reps number, left a few messages and he never called back. Finally just decided to give up. I like the peg suspension alot, so they are still worth it, just bummed I can't use the heel guards.

Other then that they fit great, not any more difficult to install then any other nerf bars I have had. I liked them so much on my 450R, I bought a set for my 700X, those fit great.

Doug

D Bergstrom
09-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by mpblaster287
your lower fender mounts right to the heel gaurd and you dont use the stock brackets. i have them on my 04 and they fit and work great.

You have the old design. Houser redesigned them about the time I got mine, the heel guards no longer mount to the subframe, nor do they have the fender mounts. (They have pics of the new design on their website if you are curious.) The heel guard now wraps back around to the foot peg. I like the design better, it just sucks they don't fit right with the fender mounts.

I used blue loctite to mount mine, has worked just fine.

Doug

quad2xtreme
09-23-2011, 04:40 PM
I have 2 sets...each mounted on a 2006+ 450r. I didn't use the stock fender brackets. I ziptied the fender to the heel guard.

05DodgeDakota
09-23-2011, 08:25 PM
well they were a ***** to get on but what nerf bars aren't? had to drill one hole slightly larger because no matter what I did it would not line up. I was able to retain the stock fender brackets, I just slightly trimmed the plastic around it and the hit them a few times with a BFH lol

I got the stock shocks off the bike as a thank you for helping, but they need rebuilt. One is missing the bottom spring retainer bracket entirely...

kbass24emtp
09-23-2011, 08:40 PM
I have the old style and saw the new design last weekend. A fellow racer with an 04 saw mine and had some questions on how his fit. He thought he had the wrong ones. Looked just like the ones on the web sight. I like the old ones. The new ones just looked like they did not fit right, plus the indent looks weird on an mx quad.

400excracer
10-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by 05DodgeDakota
well they were a ***** to get on but what nerf bars aren't? had to drill one hole slightly larger because no matter what I did it would not line up. I was able to retain the stock fender brackets, I just slightly trimmed the plastic around it and the hit them a few times with a BFH lol

I got the stock shocks off the bike as a thank you for helping, but they need rebuilt. One is missing the bottom spring retainer bracket entirely... I used to have heck of a time putting on nerfs until I switched to Pro Armor. I have had about 4 sets of Pro Armor nerfs and everyone has bolted right up like they were supposed to. No hammers, no bending, no swearing, they just bolt right up.

trx400Rider
10-04-2011, 08:26 PM
I have the new design on my 2006 450r, and the fender mounts are in the way. I left a bolt out on the break side and managed to make the other side work. I had to space the actual pegs on the break side about a 1/4 of a inch b/c the break lever would hit the peg. Other then all that, I fell in love with these nerf bars. IMO they are the best ever..